“Repeat Visit Nice Hotel some issues” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Doubletree by Hilton Charlottesville

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Doubletree by Hilton Charlottesville
Ranked #12 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Virginia
“Repeat Visit Nice Hotel some issues”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2009

The Doubletree is located a few miles north of Charlottesville on Rt. 29. Coming from Charlottesville expect the “iron curtain” of traffic lights and also beware of the turn in to the Doubletree is confusing at best it looks more like a turn into a car lot. Once you find the driveway the hotel is at the top of the hill and looks nice from the outside. Parking is free, well lit ground lot, and plenty of it.

Check in was easy. The staff was putting up the Christmas village decorations that added a nice touch to the lobby. Being a Hilton Gold member seemed to have netted an upgrade to a Suite. Suite 110 is located in the basement or ground floor. The Cons of the suite loooooong way from the front door, the hallway is poorly lit with lots of dark corners which may give some folks the willy's. Once inside the Suite you are met by a large living room with small refrigerator, flat screen TV, sink, couches, etc. The Bedroom had a large jacuzzi tub in the corner. (It took over 10 minnutes of running the hot water before it got hot). The view from the room is onto some grounds and a wooded area.

Problem #1 killed a dime sized black spider on the side of the bed and the enxt morning found another baby black spider on the bathroom floor.

Problem #2 while hunting for additional spiders I looked under the bed and wished I had not! There were large dust balls, a piece of wrapped candy, and a ½ empty jar of icy hot, amongst other things. Looking behind the bedside tables there was dust balls, paper clips, pens, bits of paper.

I was working long hours and never brought this to management's attention so I don't know what their response would have been.

On-site Gym next to indoor pool is bright and open and has free weights! Breakfast was complimentary with the Gold membership, $13 otherwise. It was good, waffle and omlette station and a mix of hot and cold food.

I would stay here again

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank a1scuba

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
delaware
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2009

When we arrived I found out some large groups were staying also, didn't matter- hotel was so quiet and clean. The indoor pool was actually warm! Great choice, even though its on the edge of town.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
Winchester, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2009

Our son was recently married at a vinyard close to Charlottesville. My husband and I hosted the rehersal dinner at the Doubletree Charlottesville, as well as having the entire wedding party stay at the hotel. Almost all of the planning was done long distance. Ms. Linda Winkler, events planner for the hotel, was a gift from heaven. She helped make all of the decisions, down to the smallest detail, painless! Linda and the entire staff of the hotel made us all feel like VIP's. The hotel was quiet and well maintained. The staff always professional and helpful. You would never have known that it was a football weekend and that a visiting football team was also staying at the hotel!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2009

We visited for the annual Waltons Int'l Fan Club Reunion. Hotel was lovely, quiet, and clean, in a nice part of town. Staff were friendly and very responsive to requests (extra blanket was there in 3 minutes!). Our kids loved the indoor pool, in a beautiful atrium. Banquet food was tasty and attractively presented. Warm cookies on check-in! Computers in business center were S - L - O - W.

Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
Falls Church, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2009

Our group of 100 had a conference here in late October. It was a disappointment all the way around. Let me count the ways:

-- The conference in the next ballroom drowned out our speaker with their own random bursts of applause and laughter.
-- Too few bathrooms. Way too few. Long lines at breaks.
-- Lunch: brought to your table. Pasta with cream sauce/carrots and broccoli. Everyone thought that was the appetizer because it was so small.
-- Each table had a bowl of bread, but no plates for your rolls. We had to use the tablecloth.
-- Three people at our table got their meals, and it was at least another 5 minutes for the rest of us. Much awkward: "Eat! Eat!" action
-- Dinner. Chicken. Raw. Several people had to send theirs back to be cooked.
-- Breakfast...the best meal, actually. Dried up scrambled eggs and decent bacon.
-- My room was not ready until 6 pm.
-- Several of my colleagues' rooms were not cleaned when they first arrived, including pizza boxes and noticeably filthy toilets.
-- I was glad that I wasn't on the floor with the youth group, who ran up and down the hallways all night, but others in my group were sure mad.
-- Nonsmokers stuck with smoking rooms.
-- Wolfgang Puck coffee in the room. No sweetener of any kind.
-- TV in the room swivels a little bit, but the main viewing area is the bed.
-- Pool is tiny, and it's arranged so that it's like you're in a fishbowl and everyone in the hotel passes by you on the way to their room.

The only saving grace was that I didn't have to pay for this, because it was for work.

Reviewers here have complained about the poor signage to the hotel. I didn't find that to be a problem. If you're coming from the north, the location is good. If you're coming from the south, you'd have a ton of stoplights to wait through in the Charlottesville area.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank MoreBacon_Please
Portland, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2009

On my way to Charlottesville, VA I saw a billboard advertising the Doubletree Hotel that had a huge chocolate-chip cookie on it. I remembered that Doubletree uses that as an advertising prop. The funny thing was that I really started to crave a warm cookie while driving to the hotel. It's a small gesture, but boy did that warm, soft cookie taste good after a couple of hours on the road! Apart from the cookie, the room was spacious, the bathroom was well lit, it had a wide assortment of toiletries including moisturizing lotion by neutrogena. There was a closet to hang jackets and stow away my luggage, which I always like. Free Wi-Fi as well as wired LAN, which I prefer over wi-fi whenever available. O.k., and the bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I have slept in in a long time. I could have slept in all morning had I not had plans for the day. Unfortunately I didn't use the pool, but there is an indoor pool as well as a hot tub. There's also a fitness center on site which I hadn't used either. It supposedly as Pecor machines and from what I could see it looked modern and well equipped (you can kind of see it from when you go to the elevators). Breakfast was not included in my rate, but I did have breakfast and there was a huge buffet and what I especially like that there were omlettes that were made to order. Staff was very helpful and made me feel welcome, from the two front desk staff I talked to to the servers at the restaurant to the houskeeping maids that I encountered in the hall - they were all friendly and respectful, so I felt welcomed and comfortable. I honestly didn't miss anything at this great and welcoming hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2009

I traveled from PA to Charlottesville for a weekend wedding and stayed at the Doubletree Charlottesville since that's where the reception was being held. As I notice in another review the hotel itself is not easily visible from the main drag even though it's very close.

I had arrived around 5:00 pm and my room was ready although I do know that some of my family also from out of town had arrived earlier in the day and had to wait a while for their rooms to become ready.

The room itself (king) was extremely clean and looked as if it had just been renovated although I don't know if it had been or not. I found the room to be plenty big. The bathroom was very clean and it seems that they have recently upgraded many of the fixtures.

Any of the hotel staff that I might have come in contact with were all very pleasant.

For the reception I have no complaints as the food was good as was the service.

All in all I'd have to say that this was one of the better hotels I've ever stayed in and I'd gladly recommend it to any of my friends or family.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo