“Better than home!”

The English Inn of Charlottesville
Ranked #7 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
louisville, kentucky
“Better than home!”
Reviewed 29 March 2011

I have been staying at the English Inn since mid-February and am scheduled to remain here until early May; I am taking classes at UVA law school. I am a little over a month into my stay at this property and have yet to be disappointed. The interior common areas of the property are well maintained, as are the rooms. The King Suite has a separate living room with a flat screen TV, a large desk, plenty of extra storage space and a small sink, refrigerator and microwave (which come in handy when you on a long stay). The king bed is comfy and loaded with pillows - a bonus after a long day! The bathroom is well lit and has excellent water pressure. The property also has a well maintained heated pool, gym and sauna. In addition, the exterior has impeccably groomed landscaping.

A couple of the extra bonuses from staying at this property are that the hotel provides a shuttle service to and from the airport. In addition, the hotel has also contracted w/UVA to transport me to and from the law school - this is a really awesome feature since it is difficult to find parking there. I also have free, high speed wireless Internet and HBO. In addition, each morning I get to a delicious hot breakfast buffet - this usually includes eggs, bacon/sausage, fresh biscuits, gravy, hash browns/grits, cold and hot cereals, bread/bagels and fruit. In the afternoon I am greeted by the smell of fresh baked cookies,the hotel serves them with high tea. Due to the breakfast and cookies I can't say I have lost any weight on this trip, which is the only downside!

The hotel manager, Mark M. and his staff has gone out of their way to be accomodating and friendly toward me and are always available to assist me with a request, whether it is giving me reccomendations on things to do around town, arranging van service for me or suggesting a place for dinner. The cleaning staff perform an excellent job each day and have even gone out of their way to wash up a few of my dishes that I have left behind during my morning rush. The property is close to UVA law school and not far from UVA's main campus (it is a huge sprawling school). It is also next door to a couple of good restaurants, Bogo Bagels, Savour and Lord Hardwicks. It is within walking distance of a large shopping area, Barracks Road Shopping Center, this is an outdoor shopping center with loads of restaurants and shops (boutique to Old Navy, chain restaurants and local). The location of this hotel couldn't be more convenient.

Although it can be hard to be away from home for such a long period of time I must say the English Inn is better than home! The staff is always glad to see you, a hot breakfast is given to you each day and you are always greeted home to a clean room and fresh baked cookies....truly, better than home!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Fort Sill, Oklahoma
Reviewed 29 March 2011

A wonderful find in Charlottesville.

We lived just outside Charlottesville for a long year in 2008. When we came back to town for an overnight visit we wanted to stay in a place that was unlike the never ending chain hotels that line Rt. 29. We'd passed the English Inn countless times, and were so happy to call them and ask for a room.

Here's the fun part. When I asked about prices, Lindsay told me the price of their standard room. I asked about their suites and was told that they were a bit higher, and they were--by a whopping $10. I immediately booked a King suite for my family of three and we went to explore the room.

In all honesty, it was more of a mini suite, only because the living area and sleeping area were separated by a hallway instead of a closed door. The hallway contained a kitchenette (microwave and mini fridge) and the bathroom, and was more than effective in keeping the noise and light from one area away from the other. This allowed my son to watch kid's programming and go to sleep on the sofa bed while his dad and I tuned into the news and read in the bedroom. Just what we needed.

The hotel is decorated to look like an English Manor. Lots of comfy seating and dark wood. I wish I'd thought to take photos, as it was very nicely done.

The lobby was stocked with tea and fresh cookies, which the desk staff told me were baked throughout the day. The large indoor pool was stocked with towels, and was open from 7am to 10pm, plenty of time to swim a few laps. Breakfast is served every day, and included fresh eggs and sausage along with breads and cereals.

Our vacation included 5 separate hotel stays. The English Inn was the only non-corporate hotel, and was by far the most pleasant on our list. Having stayed there once, my family will make it a point to recommend it to other families visiting the Charlottesville area, and will be sure to stay there again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 March 2011

We just had the most wonderful stay at the English Inn. It felt like we were staying in an enchanted little hamlet. When we arrived, we were greeted by soothing classical music and were just in time for high tea. The cookies were delish! The innkeeper was a most gracious host, who kindly offered us a free upgrade after we told him we were engaged. Our room was spacious yet cozy and very clean. We will be sure to stay at the English Inn on our next visit to lovely Charlottesville.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Killeen, Texas
Reviewed 15 March 2011

I absolutely loved the English Inn. I stayed at the hotel for about four months and I enjoyed every day. The hotel staff was kind, thoughtful, courteous and always helpful. I got promoted during my stay and the staff bought me flowers!

I was fortunate enough to stay in one of the hotel's suites and it was just like my own little apartment.

The free breakfast was ok. But there is a Bodo's and a diner within walking distance.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 March 2011

We needed to place to stay overnight on a long car trip. We were looking for something inexpensive and hoped to find someplace nice as well. We found it in the English Inn. The room was spacious and clean, and the hotel itself had a comfortable air about it that you don't find in chain hotels. The staff was very helpful and pleasant; as an example, we had left some items in the room at checkout. I called the hotel to inquire about them. They got back to me promptly and send them back to me, and insisted on paying for postage even after I offered to pay. Very nice.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Louisa, Virginia
Reviewed 27 February 2011

I loved the cookies and tea served daily, and the person at the front desk, Lindsay, was Very nice and helpful. I would recomend all people to stay at the English Inn if they are staying at Charolettsville for any reason.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Peterborough, Canada
Reviewed 25 February 2011

Wonderful spot, lots of class, great pool,good breakfast. The rooms were modern and spotless, the atmosphere was relaxed yet refined. Many thanks to all the staff particularly Elizabeth who was invaluable when my car was hit and run at a nearby restaurant.
A long drive from Ontario but we'll be back..Brian & Liz