“Ask where your room is!!!!”

The English Inn of Charlottesville
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Wilmington, Delaware
“Ask where your room is!!!!”
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Very nice older hotel. When booking a "luxury suite" make sure you ask if the room is in the new building or the old building. The suites that they are showing on their website are in the new building.....if you don't ask for a specific suite you will be in the old building and you will be disappointed. Overall a nice hotel with great service.

• Stayed August 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Europe
Reviewed 11 August 2012

My wife booked this as a treat based on the good reviews and the fact I'm English, as she thought it would be a nice romantic hotel. How wrong she was, and the worst nights sleep in years!

Have a good look at the photos on this review and judge for yourself. Maybe I'm a fussy traveler, or maybe others standards are lower, or perhaps we got a bad room, but I don't like randomness, I prefer consistent quality and the guarantee of a clean and comfy room.

Yes it’s close to the UVA, and maybe it’s fine for students who are in their don’t care less years, but for us grown up types, this place is horrendous.

We arrived about 830pm and where greeted by the icy chill of reception. So cold was the lobby I genuinely thought I was in the arctic. The man on reception acknowledged the cold and said they don't like them falling asleep. It was about 10c (50f).

Check in was smooth and peaceful due to the late arrival, and the man on reception was friendly and polite. No other staff were visible, and in fact we only ever saw one person on reception, one cleaner and one kitchen staff member, the latter two in the morning.

Our room was old and tired, and reminiscent of some budget hotel construction. Despite the faux beams and Shakespearean appearance, the hotel was built in the early 80s, and clearly has not been updated since. We stayed in the main building, which is where the majority of rooms are located, but I have seen other comments saying the annex has better accommodation.

Here are the key points.

The wall next to the bed was caved in, and moved with hand pressure.
There were brown splatter stains all over the wall above the headboard of the bed.
The room was filthy having not seen a decent vacuum in years.
The TV in the bedroom was ancient.
There is an open closet in the bedroom.
Ceiling tiles are in differing states of repair, stained, and loose.
The bathroom is a Super 8 drop in type, and was yellowed.
Wallpaper is peeling away in the bathroom.
The taps in the bathroom have black mold around them.
The bedroom chairs had white stains on them!
Even the door hinges where filthy!

The even Bigger Issues

The door to the corridor did not close correctly and had at least 1/2 inch of play in it. I had to wedge it with folded paper to keep it from rattling.

The airco unit was deafening. At first we thought it was the compressor on the fridge, so at 12 midnight I got up to unplug it, only to discover it was the compressor on the airco that was making the awful din! We spent all night with no air, and with the absence of any ceiling fan we sweated the night away, seeing every hour on the hour until dawn as we desperately tried to grab some sleep. On inspection the next day we discovered the ceiling tiles under the airco unit had been disturbed a great deal judging by their condition. It was obvious this airco unit had seen better days!

The bathroom fan was seized, so every time you put the bathroom light on the fan made a hideous deep groaning sound that was deafening. I really thought the bathroom was in competition with the airco for ruining our stay.

Having left the room for breakfast we spoke to the management, and they waved all charges for the room, but offered little in the way of apologies or explanation for such a dump.

We entered the breakfast room. A buffet affair with styrofoam plates and plastic utensils to eat with. I popped some bread in the toaster, and then when to get some eggs which were out. I saw no staff so wandered into the kitchen foyer and found a single female staff member leaning against the counter with her head in her hands, evidently very tired. I spoke which made her jump out of her skin, and mentioned the eggs and other items were low. She was quite abrasive, and said “huh, I don’t think they are”. I made her follow me and showed her the empty servers and she said she could make more but it would take some time. Off she went. She did come back some 20 minutes later, by which time we had decided against consuming any fresh food on the premises.

Interestingly the trash can is located right next to the breakfast food preparation table, and was emptied by the cleaner while we sat eating out toast, and the dirty trash was hauled out, and the trashcan cleaned and fitted with a new trash sack, even though it was only two feet from fresh food.

In the photos you’ll see the lovely cobwebs that adorn the light fittings in the breakfast room. This coupled with the attentive nature of the cook, and the close proximity of the trash can to the food, plus the miserable cleaning state of the rooms, suggest eating here is not advised. No wonder the breakfast is free!

This hotel is pretending to be something it clearly isn’t. It’s tired, dated, and filthy, and is not being cared for by the current management team. It is best described as a budget hotel for bus/coach stop overs.

If the rooms are cleaned, they are cleaned with a cursory pass, and no attention or pride is taken in maintaining this hotel, or the guest rooms. Allergy sufferers should be wary of staying in these rooms, and generally anyone concerned about cleanliness should avoid this run down excuse for accommodation.

I would seek an alternative!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else, or ask to inspect the room first.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank N0dric
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 August 2012

I was nervous about staying here after reading the negative reviews, but since I was on a bus trip, the bus company booked the rooms, and I didn't get a vote.

Overall, it was a wonderful place to stay. I loved it! The beds were comfy and I had no problems falling asleep. If there was noise, I didn't hear it. If there was dirt, I didn't see it.

Three pillows on the beds, and an extra blanket at the bottom, which was nice to see.

Breakfast buffet changed daily, which was a pleasant surprise.

Coffee was available, 24/7, but cookies seemed to be on a very limited basis.

When I go back to visit Monticello again, I will gladly book a room here.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank SabrinaFair101
Manlius, NY
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Was in town on a college visit; rate was fantastic - would imagine it is higher during the school year or during a big weekend. Location is great - 1.3 miles from UVa and two miles from the historic areas.
Place has some years on it but it makes up for it with a great staff, great location, and a hot breakfast.
Bed was comfortable, parking was great. Would go back again.

Room Tip: mini suite was perfect for three - college visits.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank David P
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed 1 August 2012

The English Inn is a true gem within the Charlottesville community. The location provides great access to everything "UVA", not to mention all of the other local sights. The rooms are clean and well appointed, and the amenities are impressive. Most importantly, the staff is superb. As head of a non-profit organization that works with families traveling to the UVA Children's Hospital for medical care, I know that the families we refer to the E.I. receive a marvelous, first class hotel experience. Furthermore, groups who have used the E.I. for special events rave about their welcoming atmospere and attention to detail. I heartily recommend the English Inn to all travelers.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Rita784
Mamit, India
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Me and my wife stayed at the English inn in july 2012 and can't remember the weekend but we had A.C. Problem we was staying in room 307 we call to the front desk and the front desk person was Kathy and she was very helpful and the Engineer person come up to the room to help us with the A.C. problem his Name was Geroge he was very rude and started to get loud with me and my wife we felt very scared So we check out Early and when we went to check-out we found out that he was a Manager So with all that being said I will never book at The English Inn again and i also feel like he need some Customer Service classes

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank john j
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Just off the hectic route 29 is a hidden treasure. The hotel's exterior is constructed to resemble English half timbered houses. Our room was across the courtyard of an English Garden.Our room consisted of a separate bedroom, with door. There was a separate living area with a coach that opens into a bed for two additional people. An updated kitchenette with granite counter tops, borders the living area. Internet connection is provided. Made use of the very large indoor pool.

The breakfast buffet was overwhelming and was constanting cared for. The staff was very attentive and helpful.

Room Tip: Request a room around the English Garden. Very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family