Wife and I spent a couple nights here in Charlottesville for the Taylor Swift concert. Chose it based on availability, price, location, and reviews.
The service was fine. Only had interactions with check in/check out. Upon arrival, after a long drive the first thing I did was lay down to take a nap and the moment I zoned out the phone rang and it was the front desk asking if all was well. I know they meant well, but it sucked, because I couldn't get back to sleep.
The air conditioner didn't quite cool enough, windows were screwed shut so you couldn't get any fresh air (understand that's probably a liability concern). The heated pool would be great in the winter, but after running 3 miles in the september air, we were hoping to cool off in the pool, and it was a sauna in there, so we skipped. Once again, great intentions, just didn't work out with what we were doing. Room smelled like a motel.
Breakfast was nice, but they ran out of seats in the room and we had to shuttle to the lobby to eat, which was probably nicer digs anyway.
I also managed to give myself a strawberry on my elbow from dragging my elbow across the sheets while rolling over in the middle of the night. No idea how that happened, but it's a first, and it's odd.
As I read through this, I see it all reads negative, and that's not overly fair. The location was perfect. We walked to dinner, breakfast, and our concert. The adjacent gardens have spots of beauty intertwined with rampant untended jungle. The Rivanna trail runs right by the property. We saw a groundhog while running around there.
So....adequate is the rating. It serves it's purpose as a hotel to sleep at while you're out doing other things. It's not a resort, it's not overly lavish with sparkly restrooms or bling, but everybody was polite and everything was clean and all interactions were well organized.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 106 well-appointed rooms and suites. Enjoy all the pleasures of a fine Charlottesville hotel blended with the charm of a country inn. You’ll find the heart of the English Inn is our dedication to uncompromising quality and exemplary personal service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com and Ebookers so you can book your The English Inn of Charlottesville reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The English Hotel Charlottesville
- English Hotel Charlottesville