“Adequate Lodging” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The English Inn of Charlottesville

and 1 more site!
The English Inn of Charlottesville
Ranked #7 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Pittsboro, North Carolina
“Adequate Lodging”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

Wife and I spent a couple nights here in Charlottesville for the Taylor Swift concert. Chose it based on availability, price, location, and reviews.

The service was fine. Only had interactions with check in/check out. Upon arrival, after a long drive the first thing I did was lay down to take a nap and the moment I zoned out the phone rang and it was the front desk asking if all was well. I know they meant well, but it sucked, because I couldn't get back to sleep.

The air conditioner didn't quite cool enough, windows were screwed shut so you couldn't get any fresh air (understand that's probably a liability concern). The heated pool would be great in the winter, but after running 3 miles in the september air, we were hoping to cool off in the pool, and it was a sauna in there, so we skipped. Once again, great intentions, just didn't work out with what we were doing. Room smelled like a motel.

Breakfast was nice, but they ran out of seats in the room and we had to shuttle to the lobby to eat, which was probably nicer digs anyway.

I also managed to give myself a strawberry on my elbow from dragging my elbow across the sheets while rolling over in the middle of the night. No idea how that happened, but it's a first, and it's odd.

As I read through this, I see it all reads negative, and that's not overly fair. The location was perfect. We walked to dinner, breakfast, and our concert. The adjacent gardens have spots of beauty intertwined with rampant untended jungle. The Rivanna trail runs right by the property. We saw a groundhog while running around there.

So....adequate is the rating. It serves it's purpose as a hotel to sleep at while you're out doing other things. It's not a resort, it's not overly lavish with sparkly restrooms or bling, but everybody was polite and everything was clean and all interactions were well organized.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PboroBill

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

We have stayed at The English Inn many times over the course of the last few years while our son was a student at UVA. We love it. It is our first choice of hotels when we are looking for a place to stay. The staff is wonderful and attentive. The hotel is very reasonably priced even at peak times (home football games, family weekend, graduation, etc). It is well maintained as well. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank 03Guests2013
Williamsburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Recently I had the pleasure to conduct the Road Scholar Program as the group leader in this beautiful hotel! When you arrive you immediatly see the charm from the exterior, however the ambience is obvious when you approach the front desk staff. Being a former Flight Attendant and staying in numerous hotels across the country, I am aware of those hotels that offer superb customer service. You will definitely find it at the English Inn! Kathy Brown who I met upon check in was courteous, professional, and had a willingness to make my event successful. Throughout my stay she was always enquiring with me to make sure that I was pleased with room set up, refreshments satisfactory, and to follow through with any other request that I might have. It was a wonderful experience not only for myself, but I'm sure for the participants as well. The afternoon high tea at 4pm was a delight! I would recommend this hotel to any traveler visiting the Charlottesville area, and I hope you have the pleasure to meet Kathy Brown at the front desk!!!!

Room Tip: My room on 2nd floor close to our meeting room was comfortable and quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank savytravler2013
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Inn for a night whiles on a roadtrip and can't fault the Hotel. Old but well kept with a decent breakfast. Nice swimming pool. Ample free car parking as well as free wifi. The staff was friendly and the kids got a free toy on check inn.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank enjoyyourstay1234
Williamsburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

i had the pleasure of staying at this wonderful hotel for a pre-arranged historic program in the area. i was so delighted that this hotel was the location chosen. the front desk staff was wonderful, and in particular kathy brown. no problem was to big or to difficult to solve. her professionalism as well as customer service was greatly appreciated. if had not been for her pleasant nature, the stay would not have been as enjoyable!!!! the room has wonderful amenities which include refrigerator, coffee maker, microwave and plenty of pillows! the room that have king beds are spacious and very comfortable. being at the end of the hallway proved to be quiet and less distracting. our meeting room was always clean and had fresh coffee, tea and water provided throughout our meetings. the decor brings you into the countryside of england where there is a fireplace in lobby and many symbols that relate to english way of life. i had never an issue that wasn't resolved quickly by the person i dealt with most, kathy brown. it is an exceptional hotel that also provides a hot breakfast with much variety. consider this hotel on your next visit to charlottesville!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank PATRICIA A
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

My wife and I have stayed in Charlottesville numerous times over the years. Recently, our youngest son was married just south of Charlottesville. Family and friends were coming to town. After some research, we decided to take a chance on the English Inn.
We were very fortunate that we did. There were 19 of us. We booked two suites, and the remainder of the party booked regular rooms. The suites were large, and a perfect gathering place to chat and to plan activities. The hot breakfast was great every morning. The breakfast room is large enough that we never had to worry about putting tables together to accomodate our larger numbers.
The staff is outstanding at the English Inn. It is an incredible value for whatever your travels needs are. It's an especially great hotel if you have a family reunion, wedding, or some other larger gathering.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Joe K
WV
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

I stayed here last summer on a trip to Monticello. The rooms were a bit dated and very plain but were clean and comfortable. The building was very charming and the front desk was friendly and helpful. They have afternoon tea and cookies in the lobby which was nice. The breakfast was decent. The pool was spectacular. It's an extremely large indoor pool. It's probably the best feature. I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple