“Location is everything!, and friendly besides!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The English Inn of Charlottesville

and 1 more site!
The English Inn of Charlottesville
Ranked #7 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Location is everything!, and friendly besides!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

The location is superb, and near so many attractions, as the University of VA, the historic sites downtown, and right off route 29. The staff were very helpful (polite and friendly) with maps to this visitor who had no GPS nor Iphone. Let me mention Rika and Craig in particular, who went out of their way to help especially when there were three weddings parties staying this past weekend, and many guests there for a home game with UVA. In comparison to other hotels, the breakfast buffet was certainly above average with both cold and hot entrees. I enjoyed my time in my room, a King's size , as it was ample in space, and clean, and with 2 TVs. The bed was comfortable. The AC was great. I utilized the on-site exercise room on the first floor and appreciated it. The pool was a little too warm for my tastes, and passed on it, though it is appealing in its size. I was involved with a wedding, so didn't eat at the restaurant.

Room Tip: HIgher floors have less A/C unit noise. Room 307 was perfect for me, as I was traveling alone and ye...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Anderson, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

We spent one night here while attending a wedding in Charlottesville. The Inn was very clean, the people working there were so nice. Bed was very comfortable! Within 30 minutes of checking in, our phone rang, it was the front desk asking if everything was good with our room. As we were leaving the Inn at 4:15 to go to the wedding, the front desk stopped us and asked if we wanted some fresh baked cookies for the road. We took a rain check and picked them up at 10:00 when we returned! The breakfast was great- eggs, bacon, home fries, french toast, plus the cereals, toast & juices (included in the price of the room). We would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to anyone wanting to stay in Charlottesville.

1 Thank ginnyeck
montreat
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

We could not have been more pleased with our stay at English Inn. The rooms were large and clean as was the Inn . The staff were very helpful .The complementary breakfast was outstanding and the best I have had at any motel. The Inn was very convenient to town and to the Interstate.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank trimic
Bellaire, MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

We stayed in Charlottesville while on a tour of Civil War battlefields. We were very happy with our stay. The room was quite large; the bed was very comfortable. They have a much larger than typical indoor pool. The breakfast is above average with both hot and cold entrees. The staff was quite friendly. Based on some of the other choices we researched, this motel, at less than $100 per night was a good value.

2 Thank Bellaire56
Pittsboro, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

Wife and I spent a couple nights here in Charlottesville for the Taylor Swift concert. Chose it based on availability, price, location, and reviews.

The service was fine. Only had interactions with check in/check out. Upon arrival, after a long drive the first thing I did was lay down to take a nap and the moment I zoned out the phone rang and it was the front desk asking if all was well. I know they meant well, but it sucked, because I couldn't get back to sleep.

The air conditioner didn't quite cool enough, windows were screwed shut so you couldn't get any fresh air (understand that's probably a liability concern). The heated pool would be great in the winter, but after running 3 miles in the september air, we were hoping to cool off in the pool, and it was a sauna in there, so we skipped. Once again, great intentions, just didn't work out with what we were doing. Room smelled like a motel.

Breakfast was nice, but they ran out of seats in the room and we had to shuttle to the lobby to eat, which was probably nicer digs anyway.

I also managed to give myself a strawberry on my elbow from dragging my elbow across the sheets while rolling over in the middle of the night. No idea how that happened, but it's a first, and it's odd.

As I read through this, I see it all reads negative, and that's not overly fair. The location was perfect. We walked to dinner, breakfast, and our concert. The adjacent gardens have spots of beauty intertwined with rampant untended jungle. The Rivanna trail runs right by the property. We saw a groundhog while running around there.

So....adequate is the rating. It serves it's purpose as a hotel to sleep at while you're out doing other things. It's not a resort, it's not overly lavish with sparkly restrooms or bling, but everybody was polite and everything was clean and all interactions were well organized.

1 Thank PboroBill
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

We have stayed at The English Inn many times over the course of the last few years while our son was a student at UVA. We love it. It is our first choice of hotels when we are looking for a place to stay. The staff is wonderful and attentive. The hotel is very reasonably priced even at peak times (home football games, family weekend, graduation, etc). It is well maintained as well. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank 03Guests2013
Williamsburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Recently I had the pleasure to conduct the Road Scholar Program as the group leader in this beautiful hotel! When you arrive you immediatly see the charm from the exterior, however the ambience is obvious when you approach the front desk staff. Being a former Flight Attendant and staying in numerous hotels across the country, I am aware of those hotels that offer superb customer service. You will definitely find it at the English Inn! Kathy Brown who I met upon check in was courteous, professional, and had a willingness to make my event successful. Throughout my stay she was always enquiring with me to make sure that I was pleased with room set up, refreshments satisfactory, and to follow through with any other request that I might have. It was a wonderful experience not only for myself, but I'm sure for the participants as well. The afternoon high tea at 4pm was a delight! I would recommend this hotel to any traveler visiting the Charlottesville area, and I hope you have the pleasure to meet Kathy Brown at the front desk!!!!

Room Tip: My room on 2nd floor close to our meeting room was comfortable and quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business