“This place was terrific!”

The English Inn of Charlottesville
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Charlottesville, Virginia
“This place was terrific!”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Virginia Organizing is a non-profit group based in Charlottesville and we had to find a place for all the performers who were part of a major benefit concert we were doing -- and we hit the jackpot at having them stay at The English Inn. Everything was very comfortable and the performers even gave a shout out from the stage that says it all: "We are very grateful to The English Inn and their staff. We were only there for a few minutes and they remembered all our names and made us feel right at home."

Working with the staff at The English Inn was a real delight and they were helpful no matter what we asked for. No wonder many of our friends in this area suggested them!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank 314Happy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

We were in town for a family funeral. Due to the predicted big snow, we chose to be in town rather than out near the mountains. The English Inn was a perfect choice. I had not needed to stay in a hotel in Charlottesville since my daughter's graduations from UVA many years before, but the English Inn was where we stayed then as well. It is totally convenient to everything in Charlottesville. It IS an older hotel, but the courtyard suite we had was clean and private. The breakfast was so much better than the chains offer and the staff could not have been more accommodating. They knew my name and welcomed me every time I was in the lobby. I heartily recommend the English Inn.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lillian C
Tidewater, VA
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I was a little leery of this hotel, since my husband made the arrangements. I held my breath as we approached the hotel, but was relieved to see the first impression of the exterior was a clean, neat, well-maintained area.

Approaching the entrance, the lobby area is generous and leads down into a cozy sitting area with a fireplace. It gives the feel of a high-end ski resort.

The reservation desk was friendly and helpful. After arriving at our room, we received a call from the front desk to ensure our room was up to standard, which it was.

They had proudly bragged about their high tea served from 4-6 p.m., and their swimming pool which is the largest in the area. We did not opt to go swimming on this particular trip, but we did partake of the tea.

The buffet breakfast has a wonderful selection of hot breakfast foods coupled with fresh fruit and typical continental foods. You are sure to find something that meets your dietary needs.

There is not much room for improvement at this establishment, but if I had to change anything it would be to provide china cups and saucers along with plates for the cookies at tea time. Nothing too fancy, and it does not have to match (I would grab up some 2nd hand). I just think it would add a touch of perfection to sit by the fire.

In summary, I do not think you can beat the quality and price of this hotel. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GalavantinGal
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We were on a tour of the area, mostly camping, and got tired of the pouring rain so we drove into Charlottesville and found this place. It was reasonably priced and warm and dry. I would say that it's above some of your economy chain hotels. It had some charm, and the beds were fantastic the room clean, free tea/coffee/cookies in the lobby and hot water for a bath. Everything worked, which is more than I can say for some plastic hotels.

There were no college crowds - it was midweek and fairly quiet. Breakfast was typical continental crap - wastful and tasteless, but that is what you get at most chain hotels anyway.

Room Tip: Since we basically showed up without a reservation in pouring rain we didn't have a choice of ro...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 10 February 2014

When I travel, I try to support independant, local establishments. The English Inn is exceptional. My entire family was recently in Charlottesville for a family funeral, and during this sad, emotional time, everyone at the Inn was sensitive to our needs. At the front desk, Rika and her co-workers were so very gracious, professional, and welcoming! The suite was amazing, the complimentary hot breakfast was wonderful, the lobby warm and inviting (the pool looked spectacular, but unfortunately we’ll have to save swimming for a later visit). I also have to say I’ve travelled most of my long life, and the English Inn FAR surpasses many of the hotels/motels/Inns/B&B’s in which I’ve stayed/lived. My family and I were very impressed and plan to stay there every time we visit Charlottesville. If you are in Charlottesville due to a health-related situation, please know that the team at The English Inn will go above and beyond to help you financially and emotionally so your stay will be as comfortable as possible. Congratulations to the staff at The English Inn on superior customer service, excellent amenities, graciousness, superb hospitality, and exceptional standards! It was a perfect stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank DLS0323
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed 5 February 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed January 19th and the service was out of this world! Rika and all the staff really love what they do, and made us feel like a million bucks. The breakfast was delicious and I could of stayed in that comfy bed all day. Rika out did herself and made sure we had a room close to the pool like we wanted. I will definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank RoseDove28
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Reviewed 28 January 2014

The English Inn, is a great place to stay! My husband and I were in Charlottesville due to his mother being in the hospital.. English Inn gave us a fabulous rate for being there at the hospital, and my husband's sister and brother were there in rooms as well and they made sure to put us all in rooms close to each other to make things convenient for us. The staff are absolutely top notch! I dealt with Kathy at the front desk several times, starting with our last minute reservation and our late notice need to extend our visit as well.. She was wonderful and always had a smile on her face! We stayed in a king room, and while yes, the hotel is a little older and some things a little worn with age (which I think adds to the charm) The hotel, and room were spotlessly clean, which is a big deal for me. The bed was very comfortable, and having a microwave, fridge and coffee pot in the room really was a plus with the strange hours we kept going back and forth to the hospital. We loved the lobby area with the fireplace and tables as well.. we put them to use Saturday night so the four of us could have a place to sit and discuss things while having a late night snack and we truly enjoyed having that area to use. The complimentary breakfast was also truly appreciated.. with a great selection to choose from. Also, for those that care... they have big indoor heated pool, which for me was a great place to relieve stress swimming laps. I hope the next time we need to stay in Charlottesville it is for a more enjoyable reason.. but whatever the reason.. I will always choose The English Inn! Other hotels could learn a lot from them on how to treat their guests!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family