“Now this is service”

The English Inn of Charlottesville
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
San Francisco, Colombia
“Now this is service”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I was just in Charlottesville for my first stop on a multi-city trip and spent 5 nights here at the English Inn. It's the only privately owned, independent (i.e., not chain) hotel in town, and is staffed by uber-friendly and helpful people, especially Kathy at the front desk. She met every request with ease and genuine friendliness.
But this morning took the cake. I was supposed to get on a plane for New York and a very important meeting, and woke up to another one of this year's crazy snow/ice storms. My flights were cancelled and I managed to get a seat on Amtrak for the 9 am. But the person driving me to the train could not get his car out of the driveway because it was too icy. I called all the local cab companies but nobody would come out in this kind of weather. Finally Mike, the hotel manager, dropped what he was doing, fired up his 4 wheeler and drove me to the Amtrak station himself, just in time. Unbelievable.
There is no doubt the English Inn will have my business anytime I'm in Charlottesville. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for the newer apartments.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank lori S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Fairfax, VA
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Great hotel, cozy lobby with fireplace, tea in the afternoon. Free breakfast was one of the best we've ever had in a hotel. I would suggest nicer paper cups for coffee/tea - the styrofoam ones are too small. People couldn't have been nicer. Little old fashioned but great for the price and so close to University of Virginia and shopping and restaurants.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 February 2014

This was my second stay and both experiences were fantastic. The property is clean, well maintained and well located. There is an excellent breakfast included. The rooms are large and clean. Finally, the staff at the desk was friendly and helpful. This will be my first choice whenever I'm in the area.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Virginia Organizing is a non-profit group based in Charlottesville and we had to find a place for all the performers who were part of a major benefit concert we were doing -- and we hit the jackpot at having them stay at The English Inn. Everything was very comfortable and the performers even gave a shout out from the stage that says it all: "We are very grateful to The English Inn and their staff. We were only there for a few minutes and they remembered all our names and made us feel right at home."

Working with the staff at The English Inn was a real delight and they were helpful no matter what we asked for. No wonder many of our friends in this area suggested them!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank 314Happy
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

We were in town for a family funeral. Due to the predicted big snow, we chose to be in town rather than out near the mountains. The English Inn was a perfect choice. I had not needed to stay in a hotel in Charlottesville since my daughter's graduations from UVA many years before, but the English Inn was where we stayed then as well. It is totally convenient to everything in Charlottesville. It IS an older hotel, but the courtyard suite we had was clean and private. The breakfast was so much better than the chains offer and the staff could not have been more accommodating. They knew my name and welcomed me every time I was in the lobby. I heartily recommend the English Inn.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lillian C
Tidewater, VA
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I was a little leery of this hotel, since my husband made the arrangements. I held my breath as we approached the hotel, but was relieved to see the first impression of the exterior was a clean, neat, well-maintained area.

Approaching the entrance, the lobby area is generous and leads down into a cozy sitting area with a fireplace. It gives the feel of a high-end ski resort.

The reservation desk was friendly and helpful. After arriving at our room, we received a call from the front desk to ensure our room was up to standard, which it was.

They had proudly bragged about their high tea served from 4-6 p.m., and their swimming pool which is the largest in the area. We did not opt to go swimming on this particular trip, but we did partake of the tea.

The buffet breakfast has a wonderful selection of hot breakfast foods coupled with fresh fruit and typical continental foods. You are sure to find something that meets your dietary needs.

There is not much room for improvement at this establishment, but if I had to change anything it would be to provide china cups and saucers along with plates for the cookies at tea time. Nothing too fancy, and it does not have to match (I would grab up some 2nd hand). I just think it would add a touch of perfection to sit by the fire.

In summary, I do not think you can beat the quality and price of this hotel. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GalavantinGal
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We were on a tour of the area, mostly camping, and got tired of the pouring rain so we drove into Charlottesville and found this place. It was reasonably priced and warm and dry. I would say that it's above some of your economy chain hotels. It had some charm, and the beds were fantastic the room clean, free tea/coffee/cookies in the lobby and hot water for a bath. Everything worked, which is more than I can say for some plastic hotels.

There were no college crowds - it was midweek and fairly quiet. Breakfast was typical continental crap - wastful and tasteless, but that is what you get at most chain hotels anyway.

Room Tip: Since we basically showed up without a reservation in pouring rain we didn't have a choice of ro...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family