Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia
Hampton Inn Charlottesville(Charlottesville)(Great Value!)
US$161
US$130
Hilton Garden Inn Charlottesville(Charlottesville)(Great Value!)
US$175
US$153
GardenInn.com
US$190
Courtyard by Marriott Charlottesville North(Charlottesville)(Great Value!)
US$138
La Quinta Inn & Suites Charlottesville - UVA Medical(Charlottesville)(Great Value!)
US$134
La Quinta
The English Inn of Charlottesville(Charlottesville)(Great Value!)
US$136
US$130
Travelocity
Fairfield Inn & Suites Charlottesville North(Charlottesville)(Great Value!)
US$137
Travelocity
Oakhurst Inn(Charlottesville)
US$218
Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlottesville(Charlottesville)(Great Value!)
US$160
Comfort Inn Monticello(Charlottesville)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsroom was cleanfree breakfastan older hotelbagelsthe staff was friendly and helpfulrotundaorientationschoolmonticello
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 August 2009

My daughter and I visited UVA and stayed at the Cavalier Inn. The staff was friendly, the common areas were beautiful and our room was clean, spacious and well-appointed. The free, continental breakfast was a nice bonus. The pool was small but well kept. The hotel's location can't be beat for anyone visiting the UVA grounds as everything is within walking distance.

I had hesitated to book this property because of the negative reviews but am so glad I didn't let them sway me. I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Cavalier Inn again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Mamamouse19
CavalierInnGM, General Manager at Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2009

If we can asssit you in your future travel needs please do not hesitate to contact us.

Richard Smith

Reviewed 20 July 2009

Its not worth staying here for its great location. Charllotesville is so small and the choice of hotels so vast, you can go up the street 1 mile and stay in a great hotel. We decieded to stay here after walking in the lobby on a previous trip, don't be mislead. The rest of the hotel is outdated and in need of refurbishment. One room we reserved would have been tolerable but our other room was dirty, stinky, and I even saw several bugs. The furniture and appliences were also dirty, (I would not even have set in the chairs) banged up, and the bedding also had dirt on it. Worst of all the air conditioning was broken and after that we decieded we had to leave. I will say the employees were very nice and even seemed to understand our problems. We were able to cancel our reservations with no problems and move to a different hotel. The cavalier could be a great thing, they just need to invest the money to fix it up and remodel.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
CavalierInnGM, General Manager at Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2009

Thank you for your comments regarding you stay at the Cavalier Inn Charlottesville. We always welcome your comments. I am saddened to hear that you chose to check out immediately after arriving at your guest room. We constantly strive to provide clean and comfortable accommodations and your experience certainly did not meet this.

We are planning a full renovation in late 2009 early 2010 so I hope you will consider us again.

All issues you mentioned will be full investigated and you comments will be used to help us improve in the future. I would love to discuss this further with you.

Richard Smith

Reviewed 11 July 2009

Although the hall carpeting could be updated, I found the room clean and well appointed for my stay. The front desk staff was VERY helpful. This was my first time staying at this hotel and their assistance was greatly appreciated. Extremely good location for access to the grounds at UVA.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
CavalierInn, Manager at Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2016

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay we apologize that your review was not responded to in a proper time frame it was missed due to a change in the system we used. It is very important to all of the hospitality industry that we hear from all guests and potential guests, it is how we forge the changes that make a difference in your stay in hotels, We sincerely hope that our failure to respond in a timely manner does not deter you from leaving future reviews on places that you utilize and frequent. We always appreciate when our guests take the time to let us know about their stay so we can learn and make the necessary changes for all of our guests and have their stay be a pleasant one. Again, we truly and sincerely apologize that your review was overlooked.

Reviewed 1 April 2009

The King bed was comforable and the room was clean. A good location in Charlottesville at the center of the University. The hotel is old and tired but clean. Just a short walk to the Rotunda. My reservation for the President's Pass was messed up by the staff. So I was mildly hassled at Monticello.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
CavalierInnGM, General Manager at Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2009

Dear MatthewRhodeIsland,

Thank you for your comments regarding you stay at the Cavalier Inn Charlottesville. We always welcome your comments and I will be sure to follow up with the associates as to why the issue with the Presidents Package occured so this can be avoided in the future. I am glad you enjoyed your time in Charlottesville and we hope you visit again.

Richard J. Smith, CHS

Reviewed 16 November 2008

The people working there were very friendly. Overall, though, the place was a bit of a dump. Water from rain leaved all over the walk around balconies leaving puddles and a slippery surface. The first room I checked in had a phone that did not work. I asked for another room and the staff were very nice and got me one immediately. I did overhear one lady saying she was in a room with a phone that didn't work and a door that didn't lock. A colleague complained of a heater that was so loud, he couldn't sleep comfortably - mine was fine, though. If you just need a place to sleep, this hotel is fine, but do not expect much beyond the basics.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
CavalierInnGM, General Manager at Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2008

Thank you for comments regarding your experience with the Cavalier Inn. I apologize for your dissatisfaction and we regret any inconvenience you may have experienced. Firstly, let me start by apologizing for the discomfort you experienced during your stay here at the property during your trip to Charlottesville. We constantly strive to meet and exceed guest expectations and during your visit we did not achieve this.

All the issues you mentioned will be fully investigated as we do we make every effort to make all guest experiences great. I can understand how the issues you encountered can deter from the overall experience.
I am deeply concerned with the issues you experienced during your stay at the Cavalier Inn and would like to discuss them futher with you.

Richard J Smith