“Will we go back?”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Charlottesville
The Dinsmore House Bed & Breakfast
“Will we go back?”
Reviewed 9 May 2013

This is our second time at the Dinsmore House and we were disappointed with the service this time.. The internet was iffy and because I couldn't find the key we were 10 minutes late from checking out. They were in our room waiting for us to leave because this was the last room the service had to clean.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tswetts
DINSMOREHOUSE, Owner at The Dinsmore House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
The Dinsmore House Inn opened in 2003 with a very simple mission: Comfortable beds, delicious breakfast and exceptional service. For the last 11-years we have endeavored to provide those three things consistently. When we learn from a guest that we have come up short in any of those three areas, particularly service, it is something we address. I’m sorry this experience did not meet your expectations.

Regarding the specific issues this reviewer noted:
1.) We have upgraded our Internet access since this review, with two Apple hotspots to provide better coverage in this historic house with very thick walls.

2.) Our staff would never enter a guest room when guests are in the room without being allowed in by the guests. Even past check-in time, we respect the privacy of our guests, and always knock and wait outside. I have confirmed with our housekeeping staff that they have not entered a guest room without permission from the guests.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2013

I had a great stay at the Dinsmore House Inn. My room was enormous, and I had a peek into some of the other rooms which were lovely too. My bed was a huge four poster and the rooms are very stylishly decorated with an old-world charm.

Other reviewers have commented on the noise. I was staying in a room directly opposite the construction site. There was no noise at all on the Sunday morning, however on the Monday and Tuesday there was a regular beeping sound that came from some of the machinery (similar to the noise of a lorry when it reverses). It started at around 7am and it was a bit annoying, but I really don't think you'd hear it in the rooms at the back of the house. Anyway, I always travel with earplugs just in case, and once I put those in I went back to sleep again easily.

Breakfast was different every day and was really tasty and wholesome. I loved eating in the porch area - I felt like I could spend all morning there reading the Sunday papers. In the afternoon they put out lemonade and nibbles in the lounge area, which was a really nice touch.

For me the location was perfect, a really short walk into UVA (which is beautiful) and maybe a 10-15 walk to the downtown area, which is great for dinner and a bit of shopping.

I even extended my stay so I could spend an extra night. Highly recommend.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers.

When the children's hospital construction was most impactful (2012 and the first half of 2013) there was not a consistent schedule for the construction work, nor were all guest impacted by the noise the same. This made it difficult to set guest expectations. We took measures to reduce the impact of the construction on our guests, installing black-out shades in the rooms and purchasing white noise machines for each room as well, but some external factors are out of our control. I'm glad the impact was minimal for you and you enjoyed your stay.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 18 March 2013

The location is good if you want to be close to the corner district, but it's on the main road, so not a tucked away, quiet feel. The rooms are on the smaller side, but bed was comfortable. Breakfast is done at 10am, which is too early for a small b&b, especially over a weekend. Overall, I don't think it was worth the price.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Olive D
I'm sorry you felt you the experience wasn't worth the price. Really, what that says to me as the owner is that the perceived value fell short of your expectations.

Over the years we've received a lot of feedback about the how affordable our inn is, compared to other inns and hotels in the area. But Charlottesville does drive a bit higher price point than other Virginia locations. Travel & Leisure Magazine name the Dinsmore House Inn a "great value", but again value is in the eye of the beholder. I will say that since we opened eleven years ago we have only raised our rates 7%, and that is just to cover the growing cost of food and labor.
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed 27 February 2013

My husband and I stayed here for Valentines Day 2012. Really enjoyed our stay there. It was very nice and had a homey feel to it! The location was perfect! We could easily take the trolley to the downtown mall or drive ourselves. It was only about 3 or 5 minutes away! The rooms were old, but I liked it! We did have to request a heater b/c the heater in the room did not put out enough heat. The bed was super comfortable! Breakfast was great as well! Very nice, charming stay for a weekend get-a-way!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
I’m glad you found the bed comfortable. It’s important to us, and we went the extra mile to make them as comfortable as possible, with high-quality mattresses, featherbed/memory foam mattress toppers and 600 thread-count sheets and pillowcases.
Bluffton, South Carolina
Reviewed 14 January 2013

We recently stayed at The Dinsmore Inn, we were in a group of 9. At first, I was very disappointed with it's location. From the website, it appears that the Inn is on a quaint street. However, upon arrival it was very clear that it was in a very heavily trafficked section of Charlottesville. It was right next to a Marriot Courtyard, the B&B also uses the Marriot's parking garage.The worst part, is the construction that is going on across the street, We were not told of the construction prior to arrival. One of our guests asked the woman who checked us in if the construction occurs on the weekends, we were told by the Inn's staff member that it did not. However, I was woken up the following morning (Saturday) at 6:00 am to the sound of construction. Members of our party were in rooms in the front and the back of the house and were all woken up by the noise. The staff were friendly and helpful, all but the initial woman who checked us in, she was very business-like and matter of fact, not warm and fuzzy like we are used to with staying at B&Bs. I wish we were alerted about the noise and the location being on such a busy street, especially with the amount of money each room is a night and not to mention we had 3 rooms!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
With the new UVA Children’s Hospital preparing to open, we truly appreciate the 9,000+ guests who stayed with us over the last several years despite the construction across the street. It has been a trying experience at times, both for our guests and the innkeepers. We took measures to reduce the impact of the construction on our guests, installing black-out shades in the rooms and purchasing white noise machines for each room as well, but some external factors are out of our control.

During the construction 2012 and 2013 we were in contact with the project manager for the new hospital and tried to make guests aware of their work schedule, but many times the schedule we were provided did not match the times the work took place. We did not try to be misleading, and we're sorry this reviewer felt that way. The new hospital will be a great service to the community, and we are happy to have the construction behind us. For more information on the new hospital, search “Battle Building UVA”.
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 21 October 2012

We enjoyed our stay at the Dinsmore even though it was noisey - however we knew of the construction going on before our stay. The location was great and we enjoyed the eclectic and original restaurants nearby. Breakfast was wonderful. The staff was friendly and helpful except for one who probably doesn't belong in this business.

Room Tip: We stayed in the sleeping porch. It was a little funky but we were expecting that also. It's p...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fogbelt
Thank you for the kind words about our inn. I'm glad you enjoyed the breakfast, location and staff.

I'm sorry there was one staff person who was not friendly. Judging by the date of your review, I feel fairly confident in saying that person is no longer employed here. Everyone has bad days, but they should not affect the guests. I addressed your specific issues with every member of our staff, so that we can get better.
Hampon
Reviewed 17 October 2012

This was to be our 15th Wedding anniversary celebration. A trip to see the leaves changing and see some local attractions. This weekend was homecoming for the college so it added even more to the celebration. The bed and breakfast was easy to find ( only blocks away from the campus commons area). Parking is at a premium and streets that go from 2 way to one way right in the middle of the block made navigation a little difficult. The B&B is quaint in the middle of a bustling metro. We used the Monroe suite. Very clean and comfortable, but not of high standards as compared to other establishments. Breakfast on both days was good, but not hardy, though you could ask for more to supplement the offerings. If you are disabled please try somewhere else. Lots of stairs and large steps and climbing. Don't expect the usual as in chain hotels. We adjusted our expectations and found we could be pleasantly comfortable.

Room Tip: Use the free trolley don,t expect early check-in
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the kind words in your review, and thanks also for pointing out to potential guests that our inn is not wheelchair accessible. A 200-year old house has some stairs to navigate, and even though we have two first floor rooms, we want to make sure guests are not expecting ADA compliance in this historical building. Nobody know this better than I, having owned the building 11 years, and had a mobility issue since birth.

Our breakfast is made daily in house, using fresh ingredients and local vendors when possible. Over the years we have consistently received overwhelmingly positive feedback on our breakfast. I’m sorry it did not meet your expectations, and I have raised your issues with our staff, so that we can improve our level of consistency.