“Not up to Previous Meals”
Review of Clifton Inn

Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Route 250 West
Description: At Clifton, it's all about delicious discovery. Our culinary team offers guests the chance to taste the world with daily departures designed to thrill the palette and capture the imagination. The elegant atmosphere and attentive service at Clifton is perfect for transforming any occasion into a special one. Executive Chef Tucker Yoder regularly assembles tantalizing tasting menus that turn a meal at Clifton into a fine food lover’s dream. Clifton diners can also have front row seats for the culinary action at the Chef’s Table. Designed for groups of 6 to 10 people, the Chef’s Table puts you literally front and center, allowing you to watch the culinary team make their magic.
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We've dined at the Clifton Inn many times and have had very good experiences. This time not so much. The Inn was offering half price meals on Monday nights and -- even at half-price -- it wasn't worth it. That says a lot and it's very sad, as we've been fans for 8 years.

Service was excellent, attentive but not intrusive. The atmosphere is wonderful. The food was beautifully arranged and presented. But there were several glitches, including steak tartare that was very tough with gristle -- that brought the overall rating way down. The overall meal was average at best. And even at half-price, it wasn't worth it.

1  Thank Dave F
___027, General Manager at Clifton Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2014

Thank you for commenting so positively on our excellent service, the wonderful atmosphere and the beautiful presentation of the food and how you always have a good experience here at The Clifton Inn.

I will be certainly sharing your comments with the management team here to ensure that we leave no stone unturned as we continue to look for improvements. We are always looking to get better so we do appreciate feedback and we do act on it.

Kind regards,

Niall Reid

Reviewed 23 February 2014

My husband is active duty military and we live in Virginia Beach, VA. He is deploying tomorrow, Feb. 24, 2014, so we took a weekend trip up to Charlottesvile to celebrate my birthday and his last week at home before deploying. We had reservations last night at the Clifton Inn and it was a true dining experience. The Manager, Derrick, greeted us as we arrived and wished me happy birthday. He gave us a tour of the restaurant, took us into the kitchen to meet the Chefs, and allowed us to select the table that would best suit our needs. We chose the one next to the fireplace. The servers were very knowledgeable, gave excellent recommendations, and the sticky toffe pudding was one of the most incredible desserts I have ever eaten. We literally rolled out of there because we were so full. The service, the food, and the atmosphere were impeccable. We will definitely be returning in the Fall when my husband gets back home.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

My wife and I had New Year's Day dinner here with three other couples. Clifton Inn is an absolutely beautiful place and oozes charm without being pretentious. Service at the Clifton is among the best I've ever had and the food is incredible. A meal here is a truly special experience. The Clifton offers four or five course meals at a fixed price for each. Each course we selected was expertly prepared and a work of art. The problem is that the portions are tiny and after four courses we still hungry - we felt like we had received a sample of each. Our server explained up front that portions were not as large as in most American restaurants, but this bordered on being a joke. Even wine was offered by the half glass, something I've never seen before. If you want a really good, albeit small and expensive meal, the Clifton Inn will rock your world.

1  Thank Ricochet_Rabbit_11
___027, General Manager at Clifton Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review us and comment so positively and say that " absolutely beautiful place and oozes charm without being pretentious. Service at the Clifton is among the best I've ever had and the food is incredible. A meal here is a truly special experience...."

We genuinely are appreciative of that.

As we offer multiple small plates options for dinner, we give each diner the choice of eating as much or as little as they wish. We also offer half glasses of wine, so that if one for example, wanted say a six course menu, one could have a different wine with each course. We are sorry that the "Ricochet Rabbit" maybe was not fully aware of this and so did not fully enjoy dining with us as much as we would hope that all of our guests do.

Niall Reid
The Clifton Inn

Reviewed 14 November 2013

I and my wife celebrated many special events in Clifton Inn and recently visited again for dinner. We like it since it has a unique combination of history, romantic atmosphere and high-quality service.
I was a bit nervous since I heard that they got new chef and we did not know what to expect.
However, to my satisfaction, this place seems to be better every time we come. Everything here is in paying attention to details. Our waiter was extremely knowledgeable about wines since they did not have our favorite Shiraz by the glass. We started first with delicious home-made sour dough bread and home-made butter (who else does this?)
We then took 4 course menus and food was served with impeccable timing to allow us to enjoy every moment in this quiet and charming place. Great thing is that you can choose to take any combination of food that is offered. I took mixed salad, sea scallops, snapper and stake. My wife had pork instead of beef and a cake for desert. Each portion was small but delicious, tastefully presented and yummy! I finished with a real decaf coffee in French press. Before we realized it was over and restaurant manager came personally to check on us.
This definitely remains one of the best places in Charlottesville for very special occasions, worth coming back for sure.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Once in a great while you will find a restaurant that merits a special remark and the Clifton Inn is one of them for us. From the unique menu, to the superb food, and to the excellent service, this is a must stop for anyone who values special service and freshly prepare foods.

A great evening that will be with us for years. The Clifton Inn was a A plus or us.