“fantastic food”

Price range: US$20 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner
Description: An intimate, lively neighborhood restaurant located in the charming Belmont district of Charlottesville, VA, tavola offers inspired rustic Italian dining through the use of quality ingredients and a simple philosophy fostered by a staff passionate about food, wine, craft cocktails and personal service. Due to our limited seating, we do not take reservations outside of special events.
New York City, New York
“fantastic food”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I did not like the attitude when we first walked in without a reservation. We decided to ignore the attitude and gladly took a seat at the bar where we thoroughly enjoyed getting to know the chefs. The food was amazing! Wines are so-so. But overall a great evening out with my honey.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank HealthyFoodPlease

NJ
“Great neighborhood place”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Seasonal kale salad was great. We had roasted veggies and seasonal carrots. Pasta with tomato sauce. Delicious chestnut cheesecake.

Visited November 2013
new jersey
“Waited longer than expected”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We were told we would have about a 20 minute wait and they took our phone number so we strolled the neighborhood a bit and returned in 20 minutes. We waited almost another 45 minutes. The place is really small and really loud. It was difficult to have any conversation. We went because I had read so many reviews that were great, but I can't say that. I had the scallops which were very good and my husband had the hanger steak which he also said was good. After the wait and noise level we just didn't enjoy the meal so much and were passed being hungry enough to try anything, but the entrees. Wine selection was large, but pricey. We had originally gone on Monday and they were closed which is how we found The Local next door. We actually drove all the way back on Tuesday just to go and if I had it to do over I wouldn't have bothered.

• Visited October 2013
Richmond, Virginia
“Lots of Energy, Delicious Food, Great Wine List”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This place is small, I think it only seats 37. The kitchen area is open, behind the bar. They serve beer and wine. It's a little loud, with the acoustics creating a boominess. It's a very popular place and everyone was having a wonderful time, including us. It has a tall tin ceiling. But don't get me wrong. The wine list is amazing. We had a delicious Nebbiolo for $40. Well worth the money. It's in the same deliciousness category as Barboursville's '09 Reserve, and that's high praise.

We started off with the mixed antipasto for two. Every ingredient was superb: mortadella, prosciutto, three types of cheese, cured and brined olives, fresh baby arugula and some kind of dry cured salami. Served with some bread. Then I had a little seafood appetizer that was mussels and shrimp in a spicy tomato base. Fantastic. The broth was like a small bonus soup.

The special that night was a very savory local natural pork that was prepared as a sort of scaloppini style with thyme and rosemary in a medium brown marsala sauce. My friend ordered that. I had the maiale Milanese: breaded pork scaloppini with a caper lemon sauce. For dessert, and orange flavored chocolate torte. Everything was really delicious and prepared with care. If you're from Richmond, VA and ever dine there, think of an upscale version of Mamma Zu with a more haute cuisine presentation.

• Visited October 2013
United States
“My Favorite Place to Eat”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

If I'm going out to dinner this is one of my go-to places. LOVE it, love the food, the only frustration is you have to get there when they open to ensure you've got a table, otherwise you'll wait, and it's a tight space in which to wait. That said, the wait is always worth it, the food is consistently delicious, and I applaud the owners that rather than expand and change the dynamics of the place and possibly compromise the quality, they keep a good thing as is.

• Visited July 2013