“How the Grinch Tried to Ruin Christmas”
Review of Fellini's

Fellini's
Ranked #80 of 607 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Price range: US$5 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The restaurant is located in a building constructed in the mid-1800's. The building won the "Historic Preservation Award" in 2004. The windows contain glass from the original building. The floors are made of distressed pine recovered from Virginia barns and buildings. Also indoors you will find a delightful horseshoe shaped Copper Topped Bar, walls covered in brick and wormed-chestnut, stained glass partitions from the original building as well as a romantic fireplace, wooden tables and restored pine benches and chairs. We display art from local artisans for your enjoyment and our decor includes many original Fellini movie posters throughout the bar and restaurant. The atmosphere at Fellini's is casual elegance - delicious meals, cozy atmosphere and romantic melodies from the piano in the bar. We have many Italian wines as well as a variety from Virginia and around the world. We have beers on tap and "Fellini's" cocktails. Be sure to include Fellini's in your plans - before or after an event at the Paramount, a relaxing dinner after a beautiful hike at Monticello or for a romantic interlude to your hectic schedule.
Reviewed 2 January 2018 via mobile

My husband and his parents have been going to Fellini’s for Christmas Eve dinner since he moved to Charlottesville in 2007. It’s such a well known fact, family members pre-pay for wine and appetizers every year. We were so excited to bring our new daughter to our 10th annual Christmas Eve Dinner. We knew we needed the earliest reservation to accommodate her bedtime and made reservations the first week of December. We spoke to a man and joked about our daughter only counting as point five.
On the drive down to the restaurant, I called to update our reservation from 7.5 people down to 5.5 (my parents got the flu). “Susan” answered the phone and discovered our reservation was written as 2.5 people at 5:30. Having been in the hospitality industry most of my life, I found it extremely believable that a seven could appear to look like a two. “Susan“ did not see this to be believable nor did she remove the receiver from her mouth when she yelled to a coworker saying that the woman on the phone ‘claimed’ to have a reservation for 7 people at 5 o’clock. After loudly consulting with her coworker, “Susan” was still not offering any information about our dinner plans nor did she ever offer a word of condolence to the situation. Only after directly asking “Are you going to be able to accommodate us this evening or are we out of luck?” did she mumble they would make it work at 5:30.
Due to the damp cold winter weather, my husband dropped me off at the front door. I pulled my daughter out of her car seat, wrapped her in a Christmas blanket only to find a locked door. The man standing at the bar (scratching tape off the bar) comes around to open the door when “Susan” walked out of the kitchen and hollered “Do not let her in! We do not open for six more minutes”.
-Surely, this is some sort of Christmas Eve joke to not let a young mother and her infant child in out of the cold. I stood there in disbelief until the man opened the door stuck out his head out and said “I can’t let you in - she’s not joking.”
Now, I told you I was on my way down to your establishment, you messed up my reservations and you looked me in the face and didn’t let me in -ON CHRISTMAS???
Six minutes...You couldn’t let a mother and baby come in from the cold for six minutes! While I stormed around the corner to Common House, “Susan” was exiting the side kitchen door to smoke a cigarette.
Common House let me in.
Common House offered me a glass of champagne and a comfortable chair.
Common House offered to host our Christmas Eve Dinner in spite of their full reservation list. They put a table in the bridge room (some how found a high chair) and treated us like VIP.
Common House saved Christmas and we have a new Christmas Eve Tradition.

(PS this was drafted while waiting in the doctors office - my daughter got sick.)

1  Thank CvilleCam

Reviewed 3 December 2017

My wife and I returned to see if it was as good as we had experienced in an earlier visit. It sure was. Maybe even more so. Friday niight, and it was packed. It had a small jazz group at work, but the restaurant area was quiet (and full). They might need to use the speakeasy area as an overflow room. Fellini's is heaven sent for food lovers. And wine lovers. And for people on a budget. We both ordered steelhead. Perfectly done in modern Italian style. I wanted seconds, but they had sold out. Had the sweet potato gnocchi -- perfect. The gelato dessert was good (and a hearty portion), but the tiramisu was excellent. Unusually good. Fellini's takes their wines and beers seriously. We ordered four different wines, and all were very good, and attractively priced. A lot of their beers are seasonal. Ask the staff for suggestions -- they really know their stuff.

Reviewed 22 October 2017 via mobile

I had dinner there on a Tuesday evening with a group of about 30 people. We ordered from a pre-fixed menu. Chose house salad, stuffed chicken, and tiramisu. The chicken was very tender and tasty. Salad and tiramisu were average. The staff was friendly and prompt given the very large group.

Reviewed 21 October 2017

Everything was top notch. A great evening. Very cool bar and dining room. Historic and comfortable. Great food and very special beers. The music from a jazz group was especially good -- not intrusive, but enough so that everyone around the bar got into a party mood.
But people seem to come to Fellini's for the food. Almost everyone on a busy Thursday seemed to be repeat customer. The gnocchi and the fish were really special. So good that I ordered two starters.
The ownership is new and enthusiastic, but the entire staff seems to have known and worked together at different places for ten years or more. Service could not have been better. I can't wait to return, especially in winter when the ancient fireplace is working.

Reviewed 25 September 2017

Always a downtown on the mall favorite, Fellini's has been sold to new owners. Tried them out for dinner. and had the Hog Island clams over linguini. and chicken over grits. Both good. Prices are about $20, Comes with bread. Wait staff attentive. New menus, new ideas. Good luck to the new owners. honor the old Hospice coupons.
Hint: now with the 2 hr parking meters, a secret is to go to Fellini's on Sunday and you don't need to worry about moving the car after 2 hrs (M-Sat until 8pm is meters)

1  Thank samtrip12345