“A good brunch, but pricey”
Review of Brookville Restaurant - CLOSED

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 2nd St NW
Charlottesville, Virginia
“A good brunch, but pricey”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We went to Brookville for brunch after hearing rave reviews from various friends. Most of us were seduced by the "BFP" or "Big Fluffy Pancake," a single baked pancake the size of a dinner plate and about two inches thick. If you like, they can cook three strips of bacon right into it. The things were delicious, but ridiculously large. Two or three people could easily share one, yet they give you the option of ordering either one or two. More like a dare than a dish. Unfortunately, the coffee was from the Mudhouse next door, Charlottesville's most overrated coffee shop. In the end, the food was good, the experience fun, but the prices a bit high. I've heard amazing things about the burger, but at $22 and 3/4 lb, I don't think it's right for either my budget or my waistline.

• Visited May 2014

Newark, Delaware
“I hope you enjoy pork!”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

A great little place above the Whiskey Jar restaurant. The staff was very friendly, and even though we got there just as they were getting ready to close we didn't feel rushed . The food was excellent, fresh and of extremely good quality. Its a nice place with good atmosphere. From the bacon popcorn, to the drinks, to the Carnitas sandwich, everythign was excellent.

If you appreciate salty pork goodness, this is the place for you!

• Visited April 2014
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Too bad they were out of choices”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Good news is the food we did get was good.... Really tasty ! Bad news, at this supposedly fancy high end downtown spot - out of only 5 main entrees on their limited dinner menu the restaurant had run out of 2 of them! The three remaining really were only 2 choices.... Vegetarian or chicken (since two of the remaining were their two chicken choices). When we asked for clarification about this limited choice our server said, " well, we chose at 9, we've been busy , so we've run out of lots of things by now". Wow! We had called around 6:30, before we came, to check if a reservation was available for 8:45. They took our request without mentioning they "close at 9". I would never come out for a big celebration meal 15 min before the staff feel they "close". Also, they could have declined the request if they were out of 2/5 of their offerings. So, for a big anniversary dinner I had a small chicken breast (something we eat all the time at home) & my poor husband had just a sandwich! Really disappointing .... And no apology ... No offer for a drink or treat of a dessert. Obviously, they were just waiting to lock the door for the night. I say just don't take my reservation if you don't have the food to serve. Also the table was hobbling, I had to sit with my foot on the table leg..". and the bathroom was dirty .... And the toilet wouldn't flush...... Overall the night was a hot mess! Avoid..".

• Visited April 2014
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Local ingredients. Heavy on pork.”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Located on the west end of the mall in a small upstairs space previously occupied by several other restaurants. It is located over a bar and I was afraid that external noise could be a problem but it wasn't. The interior got to be extremely noisy when it filled up. The building is old and the floor and table shook when a server hurried by. Other than the noise the setting was fine.

The menu emphasizes local food and there is a distinct pork theme. Some of the food was fairly imaginative. Fried oysters were quite good and nicely seasoned. The bill for an appetizer, entree, and one drink each was about $50 per person (tip included).

It's OK. Not my favorite on the mall but OK if you are trying to get in and out.

• Visited February 2014
Virginia
“Not our thing.”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I guess I didn't take the other reviews as seriously as I should have - when we saw that pork was the theme. Just a bit over the top for our liking. My husband got the pork belly - and that was exactly what it was. 2 inches of fat/pork belly. Being somewhat health conscious folks - he didn't eat much and we proceeded to go somewhere else afterwards for a salad. We lost our appetite and did not enjoy this restaurant. Won't be back.

But the restaurant was nice, staff friendly....

• Visited January 2014