“Some delightful surprises, some disappointments”
Review of Monsoon Siam

Monsoon Siam
Ranked #88 of 606 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 10 November 2017

Among the delightful surprises was the main course and the tofu balls. The tofu balls are listed as a side instead of an appetizer, but when put alongside other appetizers (egg rolls, satay, and sun-dried beef), the tofu rolls were the winners, hands down. They were plump, tasty, full of interesting texture, and came with a wonderful side sauce. In contrast, the satay and egg rolls were meh. The much-anticipated sun-dried beef appetizer: mildly interesting, particularly because of the crunch. The two main dishes: kapow crispy squid and a chef-special beef dish were a pleasant surprise. Although not as crispy as they might have been, the squid was tender and flavorful. The beef dish was not spicy, but it was juicily delicious. Regarding beer: all dishes pair well with the Three Notch’d Ghost of the 43. And last but not least: can't beat the price!

Reviewed 12 August 2017

We were in the mood for Thai, and someone suggested this place, It was very busy and we sat in the bar at a tiny table, the manager/bartender waited on us, and we were just blown away by the food and the drinks. We got the duck, wonderful!!

Reviewed 29 July 2017

Just one street back from the Main Downtown area is Monsoon (I think its on Market Street). The food and cocktails are amazing... you must try a "dark & stormy" - my new favourite. The staff there are so friendly and happy to help you choose based on your likes and dislikes. Lovely wee place - going to miss it!

1  Thank kirstymcghie36
Reviewed 24 July 2017

I'm a New Yorker, but I've heard of this restaurant for many years. I finally had a meal here--I'll definitely be back! I enjoyed my meal and the service was both friendly and efficient. I like spicy food, so I opted for 5 star spicy (the hottest); it was hot, but not 5 stars. My friend asked for 2 star spicy; he said it was more like 3 stars. But we agreed the food was very good.

Reviewed 4 July 2017 via mobile

So a group of us, just 23, descended on Monsoon for dinner. Not sure if someone called ahead, but we gathered a few more friends as we were walking over from the Omni. As they moved tables outside to accommodate us, the server started taking drink orders like this was normal. Next we placed our orders and the food came out without a hitch and everyone at my table loved their meal. The food was excellent and each dish was prepared to our "level of heat". We were amazed at how calmly everything was handled, especially when we asked for separate checks! Our server is to be applauded.

It had been years since I visited here, but will definitely be back.