“Love this hotel! Location, location, location!”

Courtyard Charlottesville - University Medical Center
Ranked #20 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We last stayed here in October. Since our last stay hallways and guestrooms have been renovated! It was great before and now rooms are warm and welcoming, not to mention comfortable! Location is phenomenal with restaurants, shops and entertainment right out the door. Front Desk Manager Edward couldn't be nicer or more welcoming. Thank you for a great stay!!!

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Beth C
Eric-Hodges, General Manager at Courtyard Charlottesville - University Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Beth C,

Thank you for staying with us and giving Edward the compliment. He truly embodies hospitality and the service culture we have created. We did recently complete our room renovation and we are very happy with the results. Since October we put in refrigerators and microwaves in every room, upgraded some rooms to 2 queen beds, and have increased our internet bandwidth.

There are newer reviews for Courtyard Charlottesville - University Medical Center

Reviewed 4 June 2014

The hotel lobby makes a nice impression - very modern and comfortable - and our newly renovated rooms was very nice. We always enjoy the convenience of being able to eat breakfast and dinner in the hotel dining area, and the dining service was prompt and friendly. We were very impressed by the front desk staff. Even though they were busy, they seemed to give every customer their undivided attention, and were able to accomodate all of our needs. We enjoyed riding the free trolley bus that stops near the hotel. Once inside the room, we did not hear noise from adjacent rooms, however, we heard people knocking on doors and doors slamming at 11pm, 3am, and 5am, so our sleep was somewhat interrupted. It's worth noting that the hotel was very full on the night that we stayed (reunions, weddings, etc.), so I don't think that the hallway noise was typical of this hotel. I do wish that guests could be a bit more considerate about closing their doors slowly instead of just allowing doors to slam (but this is a common problem at many hotels).

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Eric-Hodges, General Manager at Courtyard Charlottesville - University Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Hello StephSTL,

Thank you for reviewing our Courtyard. Weekends at the hotel are very busy from April through October due to the weddings we have in the Charlottesville area and the historic significance of the area and our hotel has great location. We do hire off-duty and retired police officers to work security over night to help mitigate and eliminate any noise disturbances. So the next time you have a noise or any issue the front desk is more than willing to correct the issue.

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Things don't always go right. How management handles those situations makes all the difference. Jeff, the assistant manager, was very kind and understanding during a difficult time. And, rooms are great, lobby and sitting area are nice, parking is easy!

Stayed: June 2014

Hello LairdALile,

I am glad Geoffrey was able handle your issues to make you happy which is our goal.
Thank you.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

We only stayed one night. We reserved two adjoining rooms, but arrived late and the rooms were down the hall from each other. The hotel was sold out, so rooms couldn't be changed. The rooms were a comfortable size and nicely decorated (nothing fancy, but clean). The only food available was a counter where you could order off a small menu (standard for Marriott Residence I think, since I've seen this before). The food was fine. If you need a restaurant in your hotel, then this is not the place. Parking was not a problem and the cost of the room and parking were average for the area. The hotel is walking distance to downtown and to UVA, which is why it was a good choice for us.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Organized10580,

Thank you for the comments. I am sorry that we could not accommodate your request for connecting rooms. We consistently run a high occupancy and sometimes we are not able to meet the connecting request but we do try to. The hotel restaurant is Courtyard’s “Bistro” program which has been designed to offer quick sandwiches, salads, pizzas and appetizer items in the evening as well as breakfast in the morning. The restaurant offerings in Charlottesville are very good and only a short walk (10-20 minutes) or free trolley ride away.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a period of 5 nights for business, and most of that went fine (albeit I had little need to contact hotel personnel before my final night). However, the final night turned into a comedy of errors.

On returning to the room that last night, I found that housekeeping had left my door ajar all day (the door had not closed behind them). Thankfully nothing was taken or damaged, but housekeeping also had thrown away my travel bag. Therefore, I had to run to a corner grocery store at the last minute to buy ziplock bags to replace it (only $5 but it was still an unexpected trip and expense for the middle of the night).

Since I also had an early morning flight out to the airport, I also requested at the front desk to have a taxi for me for a specific time the next morning. To my surprise when I got to the lobby the next morning, a taxi had not been ordered yet. Needless to say, when I did finally arrive at the airport, I was quite rushed and barely made it in time.

I understand that mistakes can occur, but a great business is distinguished from a poor one when things go wrong. A great business has service people who are empathetic and make sure to show that they will deal with the problem so that it does not happen again while making sure they can do what they can to make sure the customer will continue to be a patron. When I talked to the front desk people about these issues, their response was "I'm sorry". In fact, they also seemed quite shocked that someone would need a travel bag! There was little offer to rectify the situation or to make sure that housekeeping would be notified so that the problems would not occur in the future.

This is by far the worst service experience I have had at any hotel, and I would hesitate to recommend it to others based on that. After all, what good is having a hotel room if the staff leaves your room open all day and throws your stuff away? I might as well stay at a youth hostile and carry my suitcase with me at all times! Also, what point is there in telling your guests that you are happy to order their taxi for a specific time in the morning when you aren't going to do it. I may as well have done it myself and had the taxi when I needed it!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the north wing. They look straight into a car garage (drapes are, however, generally...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear tadoogie,

Thank you for providing the feedback. I am sorry for service issues you experienced. We are constantly striving to provide great service and do recognize that we failed on this occasion. I will definitely share your issues with the housekeeping and front desk departments so that we do not make these errors again. We do take mistakes seriously and I will correct the problems. If you would like to reach out to me at the hotel I would welcome the telephone call. The number is 434-977-1700, extension 6001.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

this hotel is very close to UVA campus (grounds) as well as downtown (about 1 mile). The room was pristine, clean, with big comfortable beds. i wish i had gotten breakfast, but the coffee in the room was nice.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Eric-Hodges, General Manager at Courtyard Charlottesville - University Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear CPSAVA,

Thanks for the nice review. We just finished renovating at the end of February 2014 in the new Marriott Cynergy décor package. We are glad you liked it.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

We have stayed here many nights in the past but this time was not one of the best. The room price was quoted at $279 per night so we used our free room certificate. The hotel has been recently updated/renovated and the rooms are varying shades of gray! UGH. Depressing. The King room had a sofa which was believe it or not, more uncomfortable than the old, outdated one. If you sit on the sofa to watch tv, there is nowhere to put your book, drink, snack, etc. because there is not a table.
Additionally, we are Marriott members and a room was not available for "early check-in" but we were advised to return in an hour and a half. Upon return, still no room and there was an excuse of "having to move people." Thank goodness we weren't paying $279+ per night! Will stay at the Residence Inn next time although we have always loved this hotel and its location.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Teressa G
Eric-Hodges, General Manager at Courtyard Charlottesville - University Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear Teressa G,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel on TripAdvisor. We greatly appreciate your feedback so that we can continually grow and offer the best accommodations to our guests.
As you know from staying at our hotel in the past, our rooms were ready for the renovation that we just completed. We are very excited for the upgraded experience for all of our guests. We are one of the first hotels to be renovated in Marriott’s new “CY-nergy” décor for Courtyards. We are still waiting for the end tables to arrive, as that will complete the new rooms. The rooms are quite a departure from what they were previously, but the new sleeker design reflects Marriott’s updated vision for its hotels.
I would like to apologize to you for the run around you received regarding your request for early check in. We should have been able to meet our given timeframe for check in. We will be sharing your comments with our Front Desk staff to ensure that they continue to provide the service that our guests are expecting.
Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts about your stay at our hotel. We hope to be able to serve you again in the future.