“A gem!”

Afghan Kabob Palace
Ranked #73 of 540 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: Middle Eastern, Afghani
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Crozet, Virginia
“A gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

A friend & I went here for lunch. It was so good that I brought my husband here for his birthday dinner. Both meals have been very good. The food is well prepared & actually quite healthy. The service was excellent. We like it that we may bring our own wine & there's no corkage fee. My husband isn't all that keen on eating out but he said we'll definitely come back. I hope they are here for a good long while. And it is a very good bargain!

• Visited August 2013

Mechanicsburg, PA
“When in Charlottesville...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

I was at UVA for training two years ago and stumbled upon this restaurant, which was midway between the classroom and my hotel and thought I'd see what Afghani food was like. I was so impressed that I ended up ordering carry out from them three times in the four days I was in Charlottesville. I thought the food was quite tasty and a nice change from the typical foods I eat. I'm heading back to UVA for more training in a couple months and I can't wait to get more meals from Afghan Kabob Palace!

• Visited August 2012
Lovingston, Virginia
“wonderful food and terrific service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

The Kabob Palace is in the old Carmello's space on Emmet Street, and when our old favorite Italian restaurant left we figured that whatever came along would be a dissapointment. We were so wrong.

The Kabob Palace serves wonderful Afghan food, and so freshly prepared.

A very delicate dill dressing accompanies the salad served with entrees; such a delicious way to start the meal.

The exceptionally friendly staff makes eating there such a pleasure. Alcohol is not served but very conveniently a corkscrew and glasses are provided if you bring a bottle of wine.

Entree choices are so varied that to name only one or two would be unfair. Suffice it to say that the only dilemma is whether to order the wonderful-strange-sounding thing you loved last time or to try another. If you're a family that shares bites there'll be a real competition as to who ordered the most amazing thing.

• Visited July 2013
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Wonderful restaurant off the beaten path”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

This is one of our favorite restaurants in Charlottesville. We bring out of town friends here to dine. The location is non-descript, next to a hotel near UVA so they don't get much foot traffic but it is a destination well worth seeking.

The décor is lovely with paintings of traditional Afghan food preparation, villagers. There are beautiful hand-loomed tribal rugs and decorations.

The food is beautifully executed. The eggplant dishes and the leek dumplings are a wonderful way to start as well as the samosas. They have a variety of kebabs, rice dishes, even a large vegetarian menu. Most meals are accompanied by side dishes like chickpeas, pumpkin curry, afghan spinach to name a few. Also, they bring a suitable amount of Naan or house baked flatbreads.

With many dietary demands including young children with picky palates and a vegan teenager, everyone always leaves here happy.

The only drawback for some is there is no wine menu as their culture/religion does not permit alcohol. They do not, however, mind people bringing in their own wine.

We have been there many times and hope they thrive and are part of the Charlottesville Restaurant scene for a long time to come.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Alexander_Salomon297
Minneapolis, MN
“Wonderful food--a surprising gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013 via mobile

My husband and I just went to the Afghan Kabob Palace for the first time. We ordered the complete meal for 2, and it was fantastic! They served it in five courses--samosas, eggplant, salad, mains, and dessert. Despite the multitude of courses, they were able to get us out in about an hour (we were in a hurry). The food was absolutely fantastic. It was flavorful and nuanced; I was shocked at how much I enjoyed my meal. Everything was delicious, and and tasted very fresh and homemade. The service was extremely gracious, and the atmosphere is old school fancy and not trendy (glass tops on the table, fake flowers on the table). Overall, a very pleasant, Old World style meal. At only $38 for the complete meal for two, it was a bargain. We will be definitely be back.

• Visited July 2013