Days Inn Charlottesville/University Area
Ranked #32 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Chatham, Canada
“Grim”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I spent a night here while on a late fall driving tour of the region. From the outside, there's nothing to recommend the place – seems to be a big sprawling complex of rooms on two levels, mostly vacant when I stayed there. Just my subjective opinion but it struck me as a business that's been decaying through neglect for some years.

The gentleman at the front desk was courteous. I obtained a CAA discount but I've paid less for better accommodations than I found here. The location is ok, right off a highway and on a main road but there did not appear to be anything within walking distance in terms of a place to get a bite to eat. But that's not uncommon for places on the outskirts of town.

Things started out badly when I had trouble entering the unit. I thought there was a problem with the passkey as the door would not open. I gave it one last effort using my shoulder to apply some force and it finally did open. Closing it took the same effort. I was struck immediately by a terrible fusty smell. I kept the door open for awhile to try and air the unit out and turned on the heating unit to help with air circulation. It improved slightly but was impossible to eliminate. Overall everything looked worn, dated and a little grungy. Strangely, the bathroom had an acoustic tile ceiling and no fan. An hour after checking in, I heard a commotion outside my room, loud noises, voices, running; and maybe 20 minutes later when I went out to my vehicle to get something I saw a police cruiser out front and noticed the front office door had been smashed. I could hear my neighbors all too well through what must be thin walls. The general state of the room, the lack of cleanliness and the smell made me leery of sleeping between the sheets so I slept in my sleeping bag on top of the bed.

The good; the room was spacious, the heating/air conditioning unit looked new and operated ok, as did the wifi. Also the shower worked and there was soap and a towel or two.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Keni P, Public Relations Manager at Days Inn Charlottesville/University Area, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
thank you for the response. we are extremely sorry for the inconvenience during the stay. we have been making improvements on all areas of the hotel. we hope to make the next stay experience better.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Augusta, GA
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Booked two nights here, while in Charlottesville for a family emergency.... Had stayed at the Days Hotel in Metairie, LA the week before and it was really nice.

This was not! An old, shabby motel but I took it because this was during the arctic blast, I was cold and tired and needed sleep...which I did not get! As soon as I got in bed and opened my book, I saw a bug... and another. I jumped up quicker than I have in years! Called the front desk, they moved me to another room, no offer to help with my bags or anything. Took a while to ascertain this room was clean and finally go a little sleep.

In the morning, I checked out (a day early). No manager on site, so they could not issue a refund. I have requested a refund in writing, with documentation, from the hotel chain and the booking site... this was almost three weeks ago and I have heard nothing!

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Keni P, Guest Relations Manager at Days Inn Charlottesville/University Area, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Thank You For Taking Time To Write A Review. We Appreciate Your Time And Your Feedback. Sorry For Any Inconvenience While Your Stay, We Have Definitely Solved It. We Look Forward That You Stay With Us At Your Next Visit.
Williamsburg, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 25 January 2014

The only positive to this stay was the location..........The room smelled even though it was a non smoking room,the carpets had tears,the bedspread and drapes had cigarette burns in them,the bathroom ceiling was falling down,the tub was peeling and there was mold growing in there.The beds were hard and the exterior door had a gap a good half inch or more..We called the staff and they gave us a towel to cover the gap...we ended up putting the cigarette burned blanket in front of the gap so no air would come through....the breakfast provided was terrible...the eggs were done in the microwave and cold,the gravy was frozen and put in the microwave to thaw out,and the biscuits were hard.....this just sealed the deal for us...We will never stay in another Days Inn again especially this one.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Keni P, Public Relations Manager at Days Inn Charlottesville/University Area, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Thank You For Taking Time To Write A Review. We Appreciate Your Time And Your Feedback. Sorry For Any Inconvenience While Your Stay, We Will Definitely Solve It. We Look Forward That You Stay With Us At Your Next Visit.