“Bad Choice”

Sleep Inn & Suites Monticello
Ranked #21 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Fayetteville, Pennsylvania
“Bad Choice”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Four couples recently stayed at this location. My husband and I specified that we did not want to be near the elevator. We were originally placed in Room 303 which was the room next to the elevator. I went downstairs to request a change of rooms. Eventually we were put in Room 313. This room had no refrigerator or microwave. I called downstairs to ask why we did not have these appliances and was told that only Suites had them. I advised the front desk personnel that this was not a valid statement because the other three couples we were traveling with had them and they were not in Suites. I was told our room did not get them even though there were obviously spaces for them (oh well). In the bathroom the only good thing I can say was that the shower had very good water pressure. Other than that, the vent was "filthy", there was no toilet paper holder and no place to put the soap when you were showering. It appears that the there must not have been enough money to complete the renovations which were supposedly begun. Two other things - there is a "doggie" motel next door so if you like barking dogs, you'll love this place; also, the air conditioner barely worked. The one hotel employee that I dealt with was very rude and unprofessional. We would NOT stay here again.

Room Tip: I don't know if there is a good room. The other three couples we were with had similar issues.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 18 March 2014

i have been very pleased with the hotel staff, especially denise. she has been considerate and helpful beyond measure.i stay every week for work and would reccommend staying here anytime. even with renovations going on it has been great.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I was tired from driving all day, but I hadn't reached my destination. I was torn between continuing and trying to push on, or trying to find a place to rest and just call it quits for the day. This hotel made it easy to decide to just relax and take a load off for the night. Many thanks to Denise behind the desk for being so helpful.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Charleston, WV
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Nice comfortable room, very clean. Decent sheets, poor pillows, mediocre towels. Bathroom starting to show age, but clean and everything works well.

The heating system is an issue - 5 minutes on the minimum setting overheated the room. Luckily the weather was moderate and we were comfortable just running the system for a few minutes at a time.

Breakfast was better than average. No unusual items, but everything was fresh (baked goods and cereal), well cooked (eggs, sausage, bacon - cooked on site, not plastic stuff brought in and nuked) and the fruit was ripe. Attentive and pleasant breakfast server.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I have been pleasantly surprised with this place. The receptionist, Denise, is very welcoming and generally there is a good level of service in this accommodation. Breakfast could improve just a little (e.g. by having more variety to it) but this place represents great value for money. I would visit this place again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
wisconsin
Reviewed 6 March 2014

If you’re on a budget, but still want a decent place to stay, then this is the place. We had a large group of people who took up several rooms for the 5 nights we stayed, so not everyone could afford an expensive place downtown, so we chose the Sleep Inn to accommodate everyone’s budget. I was worried about staying here and wondered if it would be run down or seedy feeling as I am used to nice places. I was completely happy here. Everyone that works at this place makes you feel at home. We had a whole group of people staying here and every person had the same comments – "Wow, how nice and accommodating everyone is!" The rooms are refurbished in tasteful colors and decorations. The craftsmanship in a few places was not the best. (As a carpenter’s daughter, I have a discerning eye so maybe others wouldn’t notice.) One sign of a great hotel is how they treat you checking in. My flight was very early, but the check-in woman didn’t even bat an eye at getting me into a room right away. I was really tired, so was very grateful when she got me into a room right away. She was so courteous and professional. One of my aunt and uncles chose this place because of the remarks on TripAdvisor about breakfast. The breakfast is included in the hotel price so you wouldn’t think it would be as great as it is. Eggs, bacon, sausage all freshly made. Fresh fruit, yogurt, waffles, bagels, muffins, pastries, etc. It is a very full breakfast made just right. We never felt crowded at breakfast either. The swimming pool was a delightful surprise. I hate cold swimming pools. This one was extremely clean and nice and warm. Ahhh, my aunts and I loved getting into it. We always had the place to ourselves except on Saturday afternoon. One of the reasons we will all meet at this place again is the staff. No stodgy, pretentious people in uniforms standing around waiting for tips. Every person, from front desk people (day and night) to the housekeeping staff, were so professional and welcoming that sometimes we all felt like we were checking into a relative’s home. This place is easy to move around in and just a short drive to downtown and even shorter drive to Monticello and some wineries we visited. Here are other great things about our rooms: great water pressure, very comfortable beds, free Wi-fi, great tv with plenty of channels, new rooms. The only negative thing about this place is that you can’t open the windows at all. I really dislike it when I can’t crack a window open at times. Makes me feel claustrophobic. There is no possible way to open any of the windows at all, and that’s a pretty big deal to me and can often be the deal breaker on whether or not I stay at a place. Otherwise, you can’t go wrong staying here, and every single person in our group had the same sentiments. Thank you Sleep Inn hotel staff, clerks, housekeeping, etc., for making all of us feel welcome and at home and also for the use of your kitchen for family gatherings!!!! You helped make what could have been a very sad time into a much better event.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a refurbished room, although I believe they are all being refurbished now.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank turks
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I had stayed at this Sleep Inn several years ago and thought that it was just OK. However, it is currently in the midst of a refurbishment/upgrade program and our recent 3-night long weekend stay in one of their suites was a much-improved experience. The suite was very spacious, as was the upgraded bathroom and shower. The bedroom and sitting room are not separated by any privacy wall, but that was not a problem. One flat-panel TV services both rooms. Also, their rates were lower than most competitive motels in Charlottesville. I have definitely added this facility to my list of acceptable motels to stay at in Charlottesville.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple