“Definitely worth visiting”

and up
Private Civil War History Half-Day Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Part of William & Mary, this historic site is the home of James Monroe, fifth president of the United States.
Reviewed 1 September 2011

No, it isn't Montpelier or Monticello, but it has its own worth. And after the crowds at Monticello, it was a very relaxing, peaceful visit. Monroe was an exceptional president in his own right and the tour was very interesting.

Reviewed 13 August 2011

This is a nice place to spend an hour and a half, the house is small but very interesting, and the grounds are beautiful. The highlight of the visit was our guide, an older gentlemen who was as entertaining as he was knowledgeable. There were several children in the group and they were captivated by him. We learned a lot about James Monroe in our short visit and were very glad we made the stop. They had a very nice gift shop as well.

1  Thank Jeanniedas
Reviewed 24 July 2011

I only went because it was right by Monticello, and my guess is that's how it gets half its visitors. But I was astonished to find that Ash Lawn Highland is really beautiful, especially the entry, but more importantly, it taught me a lot about James Monroe, someone who I barely knew about before. By the end of my tour, I think Monroe is my favorite president - here's someone that came from nothing, remained honest, and ended successfully. None of the other Founding Fathers can boast that. Perhaps the "last founding father" as he is nicknamed, is the most overlooked.

2  Thank hnt523
Reviewed 18 May 2011

Just a sweet, quaint place, beautiful place! Loved the inside, different then the other President homes. He was a very wise man and kept his collection priority. Great grounds, nice place!!

1  Thank kody76
Reviewed 5 September 2010

Ashlawn is SO incredibly different than Monticello. When you arrive, you are shocked by the contrast in the size and structure and well, look of the home. Ashlawn from the outside, is not what I would think of when I think of a President's home. However, inside, the home is very French in design and decor and is quiet beautiful. I really appreciated that more than not, the furniture was original Monroe property. Our tour guide was very informative and demonstrated a love for Monroe but also pointed out his flaws as well. Russell, who gave us the tour of the kitchen, also did a good job and one of the most interesting things about the tour was the tea block. Back in the day, they had tea in blocks instead of loose to preserve it better.

Overall, Ashlawn is a very nice property and nice tribute to Monroe, but is completely overshadowed by Monticello. It is definitely work a visit for anyone interested in history. Remember--the yellow part of the home is not original but the white part is.

4  Thank KentuckyTravelBug80