“Not as popular as Monticello but a MUST visit!”

James Monroe's Highland
Book In Advance
More Info
US$105.00*
and up
Private Civil War History Half-Day Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Part of William & Mary, this historic site is the home of James Monroe, fifth president of the United States.
Reviewed 30 May 2014

While the property is nothing to compare to Monticello or even Mt Vernon, we found this tour to be the most interesting. Our guide was full of energy and knowledge. Also unlike the other sites, the rooms aren't roped off, so you get the feel that the Monroe's just stepped out for the afternoon. We walked away with a wealth of new information about Monroe. So fascinating!
More than worth taking the short drive down the road from Monticello and checking this out - a true gem.

1  Thank Mvanessa11
There are newer reviews for James Monroe's Highland

Reviewed 25 May 2014

We didn't expect much as it's really close to Monticello and you always hear of Monticello and not Ash Lawn-Highland. We thoroughly enjoyed this tour and the house is so interesting. Actually, almost more so than Monticello! It's smaller and more quaint and our tour guide was a wealth of information. I would say do not miss this and it would be easy to do.

1  Thank CyndiMom
Reviewed 24 May 2014

A fascinating little home on exquisite grounds that are well-manicured. With a home tour that puts Monticello's to shame. Don't miss this little gem right around the corner from Jefferson's abode. It's lovely.

1  Thank EmilyMartha
Reviewed 24 May 2014

While Monticello is the big attraction in the area, Ash-Lawn Highland, the home of President James Monroe, is a terrific place to visit and should not be overlooked. Monroe is sadly forgotten these days, but he was a fascinating man and deserves to be remembered as a great President. See how he lived 200 years ago and tour the grounds, you'll be happy you did.

1  Thank barrythewombat
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I am glad that we visited Ash Lawn-Highland. I did not know much about James Monroe and feel that I came away with a better understanding of who he was (and of course, where he lived). That being said, I would not re-visit this location on a second trip to the area; whereas, I will most certainly be visiting Monticello again (this time with much more time to spend). I think experiencing both Monticello and Ash Lawn-Highland in the same day gave me a greater appreciation for what a work of art Monticello is. Ash Lawn-Highland is much simpler - which was certainly nice in its own way too. Our tour guide was a college student, and he did a great job fielding questions from our group.

1  Thank MaegUT07