“Great food and atmosphere”
Review of Sultan Kebab - MOVED

Sultan Kebab
Price range: US$0 - US$10
Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We liked this place. See write up in C'ville newspaper: Turkish delight --- 29 North just past the intersection of Rio Road is an unlikely location for Charlottesville’s first Turkish restaurant, but Sultan Kebab—opened in part by former GM at The Clifton Inn, Deniz Dikmen—has been serving up authentic dishes like lahmacun (that’s a crispy Turkish pizza covered with ground beef, vegetables, and spices), hummus casserole, dolma, kofte, and kebabs (from adana to doner) from that very spot for three weeks now. It’s open every day for dine-in or carry-out from 11am to 9pm and serves homemade Turkish baklava and that addictively strong Turkish coffee or tea for those wanting an after-dinner pick-me-up. Sounds like a meal fit for a sultan.
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Went with family and had the combo platter so that we could try all the meats. Very good along with service and the wonderful desserts. Cost is average $10 but plan on spending around $15 when you add drink and dessert. Worth it.

2  Thank Poe D

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Terrific meal for a large group in a small space with a family vibe. The owner/chef/maitre d' was helpful and patient and the food was terrific. The pomegranate molasses mixed into the salad dressing was delicious and the ground beef kofte kebabs were seasoned perfectly. The hummus was colored with paprika and delicious and a friend's shrimp casserole was quite nice. Prices are very reasonable and desserts - especially the rice pudding - were expertly prepared and not overly sweet. It's worth a regular visit.

1  Thank Patricia M
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Small unassuming place with nice atmosphere. Obviously an excellent chef with attention to detail and an original take on every vegetarian item we sampled. Really good lavash veg sandwich with stuffed grapeleaves (!) as foundation inside. Taboulleh is quite unique and tasty. When we were there lots of satisfied customers with that quiet -- "this is our secret" vibe. Great Turkish mineral water and ice tea (both among the best we've had). Turkish baklava is legendary as perhaps the best of all varieties and this doesn't disappoint. Prices are inexpensive to moderate (can get a 20% off gift card at Sam's Club). Service was excellent. Well worth a try if you like Middle Eastern. We'll be back regularly.

1  Thank PAUL B
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I have been there with my girlfriend first time and i was well impressed by friendly staff , quality service , yummy Turkish food , suitable price .and .definitely going back.

1  Thank alexx2009
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

I stumbled upon this little gem while I was in Charlottesville on business. I couldn't have been happier with my meal! I had the lamb and chicken kabob. It was tender and seasoned perfectly. The hummus was some of the best I've had. Everything is so fresh. I will definitely be back on my monthly visits to Charlottesville. The beer and wine list is nice in that they have a few local wines to choose from too..nice way to unwind after work. Thank yku, Sultans!

2  Thank keekib