“Go for the food but boy do they have whisky.”
Review of The Whiskey Jar

The Whiskey Jar
Ranked #47 of 542 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: American, Pub, Bar
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: New restaurant serving nouveau Southern American cuisine and specialiizing in whiskeys at their bar.
Cleveland, Ohio
“Go for the food but boy do they have whisky.”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The menu is loaded with a variety of items presented in a different fashion from most. The hot ham and cheese had a flavor not expected, in a good way. Of four meals there was a consensus that all was better than anticipated. The drink menu lists all manner of alcohols not found in most places; extensive is hardly descriptive. The service was above average and so were the selections. There are a lot of choices in the mall but most were sparsely attended. The Whiskey Jar was packed.

• Visited June 2014

Charlottesville, Virginia
“Not The Best Place on the Mall”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Ate there with my wife. I had the chicken she had the trout. Food was very good. Service was pretty spotty, slow and inattentive.

1 Thank Juan R
London, United Kingdom
“Best bar on Main Street?”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We visited this venue several times during our stay, twice for drinks and once for dinner. The atmosphere was great on all occasions, and was particularly lively over the weekend. The array of drinks is impressive....a wide range of American and local beers and ciders, plus (as you may guess from the name) a wide range of whiskeys and other spirits. Food was good - the usual array of grill type mains and sandwiches, as well as various "specials". There is a smallish outside area but we sat inside. Service is also good - friendly and attentive staff. Would recommend to any Charlottesville visitor in need of a beer (or two...)!

Visited June 2014
“Excellent tap beer selection and farm fresh food!”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

My husband and I came here for drinks and an appetizer . Wish we had the appetite for dinner as I would have loved to try some of the delectable dishes I saw. I tried a great White IPA from VT and my husband tried a few VA IPA selections. We didn't have a bad beer. Also tried the fried oysters as an appetizer. We sat at the bar, bartenders were very friendly and helpful. It had a great vibe to the place. Had we stayed in Charlottesville longer, I would have gone back here for sure!

Lynchburg, Virginia
“Very Pleasant Dining Experience”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This place had come highly recommended to me, so my expectations were high. My expectations were met. The atmosphere was great. The service was very good. The menu was very interesting and had things I've never seen on a menu before... like brussels sprouts and black eyed pea hummus. Everything was good except the macaroni and cheese side. I was told they do not used boxed store brand macaroni and cheese to make this dish, but I was hard pressed to discern any difference. Given the diversity of their menu, I was surprised that they didn't use a special pasta and some better cheeses in this dish. I would definitely return to this place!