“Great Amenities for a Basic Motel”

Comfort Inn Monticello
Ranked #17 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Reviewed 31 March 2012

This motel is quite close to UVA and is a good place to stay if you are on a road trip looking at various southern colleges. The staff is friendly and offers a list of nearby restaurants as you check in. The rooms have refridgeraters and there is a self-serve laundry room that came in handy at that point in our trip. The breakfast area is pretty large with a good assortment of food. The beds were comfortable and the place was fairly full, but quiet the night we were there.

Room Tip: Ask for one near the laundry room if you are planning to use it. There is also a small exercise room...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn Monticello

Reviewed 24 March 2012

One manager greeted me while the other held the door as I walked into the building. Both ladies at the desk (at check-in and check-out) were very nice. Once I got the hang of the key card (had to insert it & remove it quickly), everything was fine. The lady who checked me in personally came down to where my entrance was to help me with that.

Room was very clean, sheets fresh, bathroom very clean. I had a non-smoking room and it appeared previous guests in this room adhered to that rule The parking lot was well lit. There appeared to be some construction going on in a room further down the hall, but there was no dust like another reviewer mentioned when construction was going on during their visit. I only knew about it from passing the room on my way to breakfast.

I got to breakfast after 9:30 and still found scrambled eggs, sausage, yogurt and juice. There were other items available as well. Not really looking for the all-you-can-eat breakfast anyway with a couple more hours drive ahead of me.

Now if they just had rooms on the front of the building overlooking that mountain view, it would be perfect. While this hotel was on 250 south of Interstate 64, you only had to go a few miles north on 250 for restaurants, The Everyday Cafe (a unique-looking gas station/convenience store/restaurant) a Giant grocery store, RiteAid, Starbucks, SunTrust bank, a smoothie place, and a Chinese restaurant (China King, I believe) . From the north end of the parking lot of the Rivanna Shopping Center at night, you can catch a nice view of a chunk of the city below. Noticed this when I went for takeout at the Chinese restaurant there.

The hotel is tucked way back up a hill from 250. If you're coming in on west 64, get in the left lane when you come off the exit ramp, once you go through the traffic light, look for the two BRIGHT yellow diamond shaped signs in the median -- that's where you'll make your left turn.

Room Tip: Might not want the a room right by an exit door to the outside. Smoke from those smoking nearby out...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank exploranda
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Sure Naresh was very friendly enough when we checked in. Only a cruel and patronizing friend, or a cheesy horror film script writer would expect their guests to suffer through such dreadful conditions? There was so much dust in the hallway my first reaction was concern of a fire. I thought the hall was filled with smoke! Why was there so much dust? The room adjoining ours was being remodeled or repaired. I would have liked to have immediately checked out except for the other guest traveling with us. How did I know the room was being remodeled? The growl from the ratchet drills and echoing pounding on our wall. We were so looking forward to having time to nap and finally rest as I am recuperating from a recent amputation surgery. The construction went on four days from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., especially it seemed around 3:30 right when we planned to have a long sought after chance to nap. The house keeping was a waste of time because our room was cleaned in the morning then everything was covered with dust, including our coats, bed linens, and much of our clothing we foolishly left sit out our first day. We joined the Choice Privileges Program when we booked our long term visit. Sham on me. I should know better. Any type of discount from a hotel means you get put in the worst room available. I couldn't understand why the people where jumping off their luggage in the Choice Rewards TV commercial. After our stay at Comfort Inn Monticello, I shudder to think when I realized , just like characters from a R rated low budget horror film why and what they were practicing to do to themselves to escape their tormentors.

Room Tip: Many other equally conveniently located hotels nearby
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank bummyfun
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Beds and furniture are ok. Heating units and controls are budget. Room thermostats would wirk better. Layout is different. Service is ok. Breakfast is fair.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Jammerx
Reviewed 1 March 2012

I have to start this review by saying some the staff are wonderful. They had great attitudes and many were always smiling and offering to be of assistance in anyway needed. The maid service was also great. However, the rest deserved some criticism. First off, they have two floors with at least 12 steps between the two and no elevator. (And no plans to add one.) So we had to carry our luggage up and down all those stairs. We were upstairs in a non-smoking section, but it clearly smelled of cigarettes and little had been done to mask or change it. There was also no fan in the bathrooms, so you could smell where the water had caused a moldy musty smell in the room. Also, in the morning ourselves, with several other guests complained of only luke warm showers. The staff at the buffet was extremely nice, but the food wasn't very good. I really cannot say I would stay again, although I did love the location.

Room Tip: Avoid the second floor
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Kelly S
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Alex at the front desk was so helpful! This was a great stay for a very affordable price. The location is just minutes from great vineyards and historical Monticello.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
C-I-Monticello, General Manager at Comfort Inn Monticello, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2012

Dear Michelle60811:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. We are please you had a great experience and out staff were so helpful. Remember, we have numerous vineyards in the area. So we look forward to your next visit ! Call us and it would be our pleasure to have a package wine tour set up for you.

Naresh

Reviewed 21 February 2012

I was driving back to Lynchburg from Oxon Hill Maryland and had no idea the weather would get so bad. My car went off the road and once EMTs helped push it out of the ditch I was determined to find a place to stay.

I attempted a Best Western in Xion where I was told it was full and then given the suggestion to sleep in my car in the parking lot. (RUDE!)

12 more miles down the road, I find this Comfort Inn where the female clerk was so extremely sweet to me. I was very tempted to try and slowly making my way to Lynchburg, but she lowered the rate for me since I spent money in hotels all weekend. I could tell she understood my situation.

So after such a sweet and thoughtful check-in after a miserable ride on the snow covered roads, I walk into a big, clean, comfortable room and a nice big bathroom. Plenty of TV channels to flip through to put me to sleep after a rough night. Woke up the next morning with a simple easy check out and I was back home in no time.

Thanks so much for all the hospitality! I couldn't have asked for better service.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Sabrina H
C-I-Monticello, General Manager at Comfort Inn Monticello, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Hope you had a safe trip home.
We are pleased that you found out hotel while driving in such a terrible situation - it was a bad snow storm. It was our pleasure to accommodate your needs for the night. and yes it is great to flip channels on our 42" Flat Screen TV. I will pass on your compliments to our staff -

Once again thank you for your comments and your patronage.

Naresh