“What a waste”
Review of Cityspa

Cityspa
More attraction details
Owner description: Cityspa is located in the heart of downtown Charlottesville, in the historic district. We offer massage, facials, waxing, body wraps and scrubs, eyelash extensions, nail services and makeup. Our massage therapists can relax you and release your tight, sore muscles, lower your blood pressure and ease your anxiety. The estheticians at Cityspa are educated and experienced. They are prepared to help you reach you skin care goals. We use an ultra-premium French skin care line (Pevonia) that nourishes the skin and gets results. And with no sulfates, colors, fragrances, alcohol, mineral oil or gluten. Pevonia is formulated with essential oils and plant essences. We look forward to "treating" you!
Reviewed 18 November 2013

My sister had booked herself, me and her bridesmaids for shellac manicures. I get these all the time and this was by far the most expensive and worst one I have ever received. Walking into this place it looked like a hole in the wall. The staff was dressed extremely unprofessionally and didn't even know who had what appointment. The one manicurist couldn't even get the socket to work to put in the LED dryer. After the second coat my nails were bubbling and the manicurist told me that was normal (which it is absolutely not). 2 hours after I left my nails were chipping and my nails were breaking. The last shellac manicure I had stayed 3 weeks w no chips and still looked perfect for 45$ you would think this would be flawless it is not. I WOULD NEVER recommend this place to anyone.

Reviewed 17 July 2013

I scheduled a 90 minute massage with Karah based on her google reviews. I can tell you right now it was well worth the splurge. I disagree with the woman who said it was over priced- how can you beat 90 minutes for $100!! Karah was amazing, had great pressure and incredible touch. Can't wait to come back!

4  Thank Joy P
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Not a good place for a deep tissue/sports massage. I am an endurance athlete and have had deep tissue/sports massage over the last 20 years while engaging in training for marathons, triathlons, etc... I have been to many different places for a massage depending on travel. The massage I received at Cityspa was top 3 weakest massages I have ever received and by an unresponsive masseuse who could not maintain an adjusted pressure even though I asked.

To begin, the spa, as another reviewer pointed out, is in a house, and not a zen-like atmosphere. You will have to walk from a parking garage to the house; there are no locker rooms or robes to slip in-to. The check-in room is upstairs in a highly trafficked area. At the time of my appointment, I went upstairs and filled out a form at the check-in room and sat on one of two leather chairs near the main desk.

[The leather chairs can be seen on a photo on the business website; what can't be seen in the photo is the main desk and phone by the two leather chairs (more on that later)].

This was my first time at Cityspa and I did not request a specific massage therapist (MT) when I called to make the appointment; I only specified that I wanted a deep tissue massage. I can't recall the name of the woman who was assigned to give me my massage, but she had short, curly light brown/blond hair.

BTW, when I called to make the appointment I was told I would receive an email confirmation; I never did.

I was ushered into a room where I undressed and got onto a bed. Though the (MT) looked at the form I had filled out, which included what I hoped to get out of the massage (deep tissue, work out tightness in muscles...) she did not ask me any questions before the start such as if I was having any specific problems/injuries, the intensity of my athletic training, etc.... When she came into the room, she asked me what I wanted worked on and I told her I wanted to focus on two areas of my body (back and legs) and reiterated my desire for a deep massage.

The MT proceeded to give me a massage that consisted of light, long, strokes and a good deal of placing her hands on top of the blanket (ie not my skin) and rocking my legs. She did not kneed, or otherwise dig into the muscle. I found myself in the position of needing to speak up and ask for her to go deeper. I did speak up and she did go deeper... for about 5 seconds, and then it was back to the long, gentle strokes. She never asked me for feedback; I had to request change of pressure from her. Though I did request deeper pressure, she would not sustain it. Also, she spent a good deal of time stroking my arms which I did not ask for.

When the massage was over, the MT left me to get dressed. I went upstairs to the check-in/out room. At this point, I had intended to give some overall feedback to the MT. However, when I walked into the room, there was another customer sitting on the same leather chair I had used to fill out a form, but she was not checking in, she was in the chair receiving a leg massage from another MT. I did not feel comfortable speaking about my experience to my MT while there was another customer sitting a few feet away from the payment table receiving a massage.

[side note, I'm happy I did not get the happy feet treatment...who wants to get a foot/leg massage right next to a bustling main desk?]

While I was paying my MT, and a woman was getting her leg massaged by a second MT, a third employee walked past me in the check-in room and asked me how I was doing...however she did not give me time to respond, rather she answered for me as she walked by..."I can tell already you have the look of someone who just had a nice massage.." I'm pretty sure my face said, "I'm not pleased."

Overall, there was no privacy in the main room which was also used for treatment. Speaking of privacy, the couples massage room is downstairs, in what looks like the original living room of the house, and its entrance is separated by a curtain (ie--it does not have a solid door/sound barrier).

Cityspa did not live up to what I have come to expect from a professional massage clinic or spa. The assessment process was not thorough, the massage therapist did not solicit information prior to the massage, nor did she follow my request, and she did not solicit feedback throughout the massage or at the completion of service. The amenities and services are not worth the price.

Maybe there are better MT's at CitySpa, however any good spa should train every one of its employees to be responsive to a client's requests and to solicit open feedback throughout.

Reviewed 6 November 2012

I have back problems, so I booked a 60 min.deep tissue massage with Karah based on Google reviews and it was excellent. She had a great vibe and the room was airy, relaxing and quiet. Karah is extremely talented and my back is still feeling incredible 5 days later - well worth the splurge! You should be aware the spa can be very hectic and bustling when checking in and out, it's not your average zen atmosphere that people are accustomed to (which is why I didn't give it an Excellent score).

3  Thank jmh333
Reviewed 5 September 2012

My first visit-The setting is interesting (old house), and it did seem a little quirky, but I got a great manicure there yesterday. Everyone was very pleasant and professional. Re: kristinawm's comments, I would check out the pedicure situation before scheduling that service.

1  Thank Duckybeach