“Great couples massage!”
Review of Cityspa

Cityspa
More attraction details
Owner description: Cityspa is located in the heart of downtown Charlottesville, in the historic district. We offer massage, facials, waxing, body wraps and scrubs, eyelash extensions, nail services and makeup. Our massage therapists can relax you and release your tight, sore muscles, lower your blood pressure and ease your anxiety. The estheticians at Cityspa are educated and experienced. They are prepared to help you reach you skin care goals. We use an ultra-premium French skin care line (Pevonia) that nourishes the skin and gets results. And with no sulfates, colors, fragrances, alcohol, mineral oil or gluten. Pevonia is formulated with essential oils and plant essences. We look forward to "treating" you!
Lexington, Virginia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Great couples massage!”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My husband and I had a couples massage for our anniversary with Sarah and Anneslie.

I booked online and got an immediate confirmation. Super easy and quick.

I was driving from an hour plus a way and got a little held up in traffic. Even though I was late and they justifiably could have cut our service short and charged the full price, they were so kind about everything and still gave us the full time. Literally, they stayed late just out of kindness.

The spa itself is very laid back, the staff is pretty relaxed, but we liked that. It isn't sutffy or pretentious, I really felt that they were focused on making us feel welcome. Plus, its Charlottesville, things tend to be pretty relaxed!

Overall, great experience. We would recommend and would come back.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Kelly C

Charlottesville, Virginia
“Disappointing Experience!!!”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

My Daughter gave me a Gift Certificate for a mani/pedi for Mother's Day. Neither of us had ever been to Cityspa. When I walked into the downstairs area, the receptionist/manicurist) looked as though she was sleeping in the large leather sofa where pedicures are given. Not a good start! After we discussed why I was there, she disappeared for a few minutes and returned with the bowl of luke warm water to soak my feet. Weird! The pedicure itself was sub par and when I requested French manicure on my toes, she said she didn't know how to do that! WHAT?? I agreed to a color and when she was finished, it appeared a 7 year old had painted my toes. There was soooo much to complain about that I just never said anything. My mistake. I still have money left on my Gift Certificate, but don't even wan to go back to use it up. Don't waste you time:(

Visited January 2014
Butler, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“What a waste”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

My sister had booked herself, me and her bridesmaids for shellac manicures. I get these all the time and this was by far the most expensive and worst one I have ever received. Walking into this place it looked like a hole in the wall. The staff was dressed extremely unprofessionally and didn't even know who had what appointment. The one manicurist couldn't even get the socket to work to put in the LED dryer. After the second coat my nails were bubbling and the manicurist told me that was normal (which it is absolutely not). 2 hours after I left my nails were chipping and my nails were breaking. The last shellac manicure I had stayed 3 weeks w no chips and still looked perfect for 45$ you would think this would be flawless it is not. I WOULD NEVER recommend this place to anyone.

Visited November 2013
Charlottesville, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Feeling great!”
Reviewed 17 July 2013

I scheduled a 90 minute massage with Karah based on her google reviews. I can tell you right now it was well worth the splurge. I disagree with the woman who said it was over priced- how can you beat 90 minutes for $100!! Karah was amazing, had great pressure and incredible touch. Can't wait to come back!

Visited June 2013
4 Thank Joy P
VA
“Not a good place for a sports/deep tissue massage”
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Not a good place for a deep tissue/sports massage. I am an endurance athlete and have had deep tissue/sports massage over the last 20 years while engaging in training for marathons, triathlons, etc... I have been to many different places for a massage depending on travel. The massage I received at Cityspa was top 3 weakest massages I have ever received and by an unresponsive masseuse who could not maintain an adjusted pressure even though I asked.

To begin, the spa, as another reviewer pointed out, is in a house, and not a zen-like atmosphere. You will have to walk from a parking garage to the house; there are no locker rooms or robes to slip in-to. The check-in room is upstairs in a highly trafficked area. At the time of my appointment, I went upstairs and filled out a form at the check-in room and sat on one of two leather chairs near the main desk.

[The leather chairs can be seen on a photo on the business website; what can't be seen in the photo is the main desk and phone by the two leather chairs (more on that later)].

This was my first time at Cityspa and I did not request a specific massage therapist (MT) when I called to make the appointment; I only specified that I wanted a deep tissue massage. I can't recall the name of the woman who was assigned to give me my massage, but she had short, curly light brown/blond hair.

BTW, when I called to make the appointment I was told I would receive an email confirmation; I never did.

I was ushered into a room where I undressed and got onto a bed. Though the (MT) looked at the form I had filled out, which included what I hoped to get out of the massage (deep tissue, work out tightness in muscles...) she did not ask me any questions before the start such as if I was having any specific problems/injuries, the intensity of my athletic training, etc.... When she came into the room, she asked me what I wanted worked on and I told her I wanted to focus on two areas of my body (back and legs) and reiterated my desire for a deep massage.

The MT proceeded to give me a massage that consisted of light, long, strokes and a good deal of placing her hands on top of the blanket (ie not my skin) and rocking my legs. She did not kneed, or otherwise dig into the muscle. I found myself in the position of needing to speak up and ask for her to go deeper. I did speak up and she did go deeper... for about 5 seconds, and then it was back to the long, gentle strokes. She never asked me for feedback; I had to request change of pressure from her. Though I did request deeper pressure, she would not sustain it. Also, she spent a good deal of time stroking my arms which I did not ask for.

When the massage was over, the MT left me to get dressed. I went upstairs to the check-in/out room. At this point, I had intended to give some overall feedback to the MT. However, when I walked into the room, there was another customer sitting on the same leather chair I had used to fill out a form, but she was not checking in, she was in the chair receiving a leg massage from another MT. I did not feel comfortable speaking about my experience to my MT while there was another customer sitting a few feet away from the payment table receiving a massage.

[side note, I'm happy I did not get the happy feet treatment...who wants to get a foot/leg massage right next to a bustling main desk?]

While I was paying my MT, and a woman was getting her leg massaged by a second MT, a third employee walked past me in the check-in room and asked me how I was doing...however she did not give me time to respond, rather she answered for me as she walked by..."I can tell already you have the look of someone who just had a nice massage.." I'm pretty sure my face said, "I'm not pleased."

Overall, there was no privacy in the main room which was also used for treatment. Speaking of privacy, the couples massage room is downstairs, in what looks like the original living room of the house, and its entrance is separated by a curtain (ie--it does not have a solid door/sound barrier).

Cityspa did not live up to what I have come to expect from a professional massage clinic or spa. The assessment process was not thorough, the massage therapist did not solicit information prior to the massage, nor did she follow my request, and she did not solicit feedback throughout the massage or at the completion of service. The amenities and services are not worth the price.

Maybe there are better MT's at CitySpa, however any good spa should train every one of its employees to be responsive to a client's requests and to solicit open feedback throughout.

Visited May 2013