“Good place in Cville”
Review of Burtons Grill

Burtons Grill
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Upscale casual cuisine in a relaxed atmosphere at the Shops at Stonefield, Charlottesville, VA!
“Good place in Cville”
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Great happy hour and excellent service by Rebecca, Brittany and Andrew awesome key lime pie dessert too

Lexington, Virginia
“Unbelievably TEEEEE-rrific!”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

My bride and I are 'foodies'. We have had the good fortune to dine all over the world. Burton's is one of the best restaurants. In terms of value, it is THE best. Can't beat it with a stick. It's neither casual nor stuffy. Wish TripAdvisor had a category for 'upscale casual' because that describes it very well. (Our supper, excluding tax, tip, and drinks, was about $31/each.)

Sami, our server, was attentive without suffocating us. She was prompt, personable, and on her game. (Having worked my way through undergraduate school waiting tables at a steakhouse, I pay close attention to servers. It's hard work, and those who do it well are rare. Sami was first-rate.)

My beloved got a glass of Australian shiraz that she oohed and ahhed about. She's been a devout pinot-noir drinker since before pinot was cool (i.e., before 'Sideways'). But she said she'd have that shiraz "anywhere." That's high praise coming from her.

She got a Caesar salad, and I ordered up the calimari. The calimari here is the best I've ever had. Period. She raved about the Caesar. . .and she's not a raver.

For her entree, she got a burger that appeared to be the size of a tire on an 18-wheeler. I mean, it was huge. And cooked perfectly. I got the crabcakes, which were also off-the-charts wonderful.

The corker, though, was the key lime pie. We've had that dessert around the globe. Until now, we thought the key lime @ the Angus Barn near RDU was a world-beater. Well, it was. And still is, probably. But the key lime @ Burton's in C'ville made it look like, well, a Timex next to Patek Philippe. I mean, you cannot imagine how good that pie is. We shared it, but I won't make that mistake again. Next time, we'll order two of 'em. At least.

As we were getting up to leave, the manager, a new fellow from Virginia Beach, came by our table. His name is Harry Green. Very pleasant and engaging guy. Said he'd heard we liked the dessert. So we promptly lapsed back into 'rave' mode about the key lime.

But truth be told, the entire meal was pitch-perfect. Oh, and this bistro offers wine at half-price during Happy Hour (4-6 p.m.). I'm the designated driver, so it doesn't do anything for me, but it my credit card loves it. In the future, when we're in Charlottesville, which is usually once or twice a month, I suspect we'll go to Burton's every time. There's no way to get tired of food this good, service this nice, and management this capable.

1 Thank ShenandoahBVer
Keswick, Virginia
“Food Allergies? Not a Problem at Burton's!”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

From being warmly greeted upon our arrival by manager Harry Green to being seated outdoors at the table of outstanding server Danielle, our Burton's experience was among our best. My wife loved her glass of Pinot Noir that Danielle expertly recommended and even though the supply of gluten-free beer was exhausted (promises of new stock and new brands within days), Harry personally took the time to created a mango-based margarita for me, making sure the Goya-made mango contained no gluten products as filler. My wife ordered her favorite bean burger and I splurged on the scallops with gluten-free pasta and spinach, both perfectly prepared. With such a warm and inviting staff, eating at Burton's transcends eating anywhere else in Charlottesville!

Palmyra, Virginia
“Great, fresh upscale restaurant!”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Burton's Grill is one of the best restaurants for fresh seafood in the area. My husband and I go there frequently for lunch, as opposed to dinner, because we don't like to wait to eat. We typically sit outside on the beautiful patio, unless it's just too hot, which was the case today.....we sat at the bar. We were immediately greeted by Kari, and she was very friendly and accommodating. We started off with the Risotto Fritters, which are fabulous. They're lightly fried with a nice marinara sauce. I was torn between the Mediterranean Chicken Risotto or the Shrimp Feta Pasta. After consults from the servers and manager Brendan, I chose the Shrimp Feta Pasta. It was delicious, and I was not disappointed! There were 5 jumbo shrimp, angel hair pasta and spinach in a light sauce which was very tasty and very light. Perfect for a hot afternoon. Hubby got the Mediterranean Salad with Salmon, and it's literally his favorite meal! He always raves about it. It has olives, peppers, tomatoes and lettuce tossed in a vinaigrette dressing with a good portion of bronzed salmon on top. During the meal, we got to speak with Erik, one of the wait staff, and always enjoy our conversations. The manager, Brendan, was visiting with us as well as the new Manager Henry, which was the first time we got to meet him. The restaurant is very nicely decorated, although we typically sit at the bar or outside. The patio is great for fall as well, as it has a fire pit. All of the waitstaff are terrific, and make for a very enjoyable experience. The food is always great and fresh. I've tried many of the dishes on the menu and they are all very good. My favorite is the fresh haddock imperial, as being a "northerner" is my favorite fish. The fish tacos are fabulous, the salads are great and large enough to share. I have not had anything here that I didn't like. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who is thinking of trying it out. If the prices for dinner are out of your price range, you should consider lunch. The portions are adequate and the food is terrific. It's really a great place. I'm a fan!!

Amherst, VA
“Great service”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My husband and I had a late lunch at Burton's Grill today. The service was great and fast. I had the salmon sandwich which was cooked to perfection and was very good. My husband had a burger and fries. He said the burger was great but the fries were terrible. I tasted one of the fries and it tasted as if some took the top off the salt shaker when they salted them. They were entirely too salty and he could to eat them. When the waitress came back to see if everything was ok, we said everything was great except for the fries. She said, "I'm sorry", never offering to replace them or cried our bill. We didn't make a big deal out of it because everything else was really good but were a little disappointed that they make some more fries to replace the ones he could not eat. We would go back again and give them another try, as we realize this is just something that happens sometimes but it would have been nice had she offered to fix the problem.