“Good Food Great Service Nice Casual Atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Escafe' Restaurant

Escafe' Restaurant
Ranked #219 of 540 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Pittsburgh PA
“Good Food Great Service Nice Casual Atmosphere”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

My wife and I were among a group of approximately UVA alumni that enjoyed Escafe Saturday Nov 2. The owner closed the restaurant for the night to host our group and was an engaging and gracious host. Excellent bread and vegetables plates were provided and the bar was kept busy while the group enjoyed the venue and each other. The menu is interesting and I had the fried chicken which came highly recommended. It was a good choice accompanied by mashed potatoes and a vegetable. My wife really enjoyed the seafood pasta loaded with shrimp and calamari.

• Visited November 2013

Charlottesville, VA
“jazz, gospel and blues at Escafe”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Spent a wonderful evening at Escafe last night with out-of-town guests who love live music. Art Wheeler and his combo were playing their version of jazz, gospel and blues. Ms. Edwards (can't recall her first name) sang beautifully! The sax player was a standout, playing tenor and soprano to perfection. The food was excellent. I ordered their red and gold salad and the sauteed calamari. Their special was a sweet and spicy coconut shrimp - an enormous portion of shrimp in a perfect coconut milk broth. The only off note would be the mashed potatoes on the side. Weird choice... My friend ordered the red beans and rice and pronounced it better than any she had ordered in NOLA. The wine was just okay, nothing special. I would probably have given a higher rating if the young waiter hadn't been such a grouchy snob. He warmed up as the night progressed and actually gave us a smile when we asked about dessert. All they had to offer was fresh baked cookies. Since we were already full of delicious food that didn't really matter. The were setting up for dancing as we left.

• Visited September 2013
Austin
“Quieter spot around corner from the Mall”
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Tried the nightly specials twice and both were excellent. Greek dinner was especially good. Service was attentive.

Visited August 2013
Charlottesville, Virginia, United States
“Excellent food”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I've been eating a number of meals at Escafe over the past few months. I have never had a bad meal here, and several very creative ones so I'm surprised to see two negative reviews. I often get the specials.

I had a delicious chicken curry the other night with a yummy salad. I have eaten fish and soft shell crabs here -- never overcooked, always just right. My dirty Martini was perfectly prepared. The presentation of the food is always creative, and the service very professional and efficient.

I had dinner here three times in the last three months and at least twice as many lunches. Last month we ate outside and that was also very pleasant even though the restaurant is on a main corridor. This is a restaurant where you can talk and hear others at your table regardless of whether you're outside or in..

• Visited July 2013
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Really, really poor service...”
Reviewed 5 May 2013

I'll begin on a positive note. We were a group of six out in downtown Charlottesville at 7:45 on a beautiful friday night with no reservation and the only place we could get in, was Escafe'. That should have been an indicator to us as to the quality of the place, but we were hungry and didn't give it a second thought. As for the food, I'd rate it average. Two of our group had the Black Bean burger and were quite disappointed...indicating that it had a peculiar taste. The rest of the food (grouper, shrimp and two fried chicken dinners), were simply OK. The big problem with the place was the service. I'm now reading other reviews and see that's a common thread among the posts. I suppose if we were sitting at the bar, our experience might have been different. We were sitting outside on the patio (nice night.) and were surprised at how NOT crowded the place was - even inside. It took awhile for our initial round of cocktails to arrive and even longer for our food. At one point, after we'd been there about 50 minutes, the owner came out to ask us how we enjoyed our meal. We looked at him and looked down at our empty places and said, what meal? He looked panicked and said he'd see what was taking so long. The waitress would ask one or two of us if we wanted another cocktail, but not the balance of the group. She'd just quickly walk away until those who hadn't spoken up quick enough called her back. Don't know where the hang up was, but at one point the bartender was bringing ou drinks out to us (and it wasn't like we were drinking that much - two rounds was it). It was just before 10 pm when we finally got out of there. Will not every go back...

• Visited May 2013