“No greeting or friendly service food not good”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Shang Hai

Shang Hai
Ranked #404 of 540 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Seating, Waitstaff
Louisa, Virginia
“No greeting or friendly service food not good”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

I walked in and I spoke to the Lady.it felt like she didn't want my service.she was not friendly at all. I asked her is this still under same ownership she said yes like she didn't want to talk with me. I felt as I was in the wrong place.no greeting,no smile. The food my goodness if you can't make chicken breast general TSO Then you should not have it on the menu it was poor it was the same breaded chicken they use for sweet & sour all bread not chicken breast. This place is far from being a quality asia restaurant

• Visited February 2014

Hampton, Virginia
“Old Friends, new place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

I met up with two classmates of Fishburne Military School, class of 1961 for the funeral the next day of one of our instructors, one of the best and Shang Hai was the restaurant of choice, despite the seseme seed allergy of one of us. This was my first time. The buffet had a wide variety of choices, though I can't agree that it was heavy with Sichwan and Hunan. The dim sum selection was wide, though I didn't locate Chinese mustard, but egg rolls, pot stickers, won tons, terikaki, etc were all good. There were four soups and a wide variety of entrees, including Occidental selections and a variety of sushi, as seems to be common these day.s All in all, I recommend and agree with its selection as one of the best Chinese restaurants in Charlottesville. I would not hesitate to return.

• Visited December 2013
Virginia
“Very nice and clean”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2013

I never go to buffets because I find they are dirty and there are always alot of people piling their plates with way too too much food, and the food all taste the same, with Chinese anyway.
This place is perfect, the food was excellent did the broccoli and string beans, are my favorite..
The selection is great, on the small side of a buffet which I like.
And very friendly and clean!

• Visited January 2013
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Consistent flavor”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2012

I have been in here many times for dinner or the lunch buffet. I found the food the be consistent and tasty. Although at times it can be a little oily, so I just ask to be cooked in little oil. They have the best hot & sour soup I have ever had. The wait staff is friendly and waiting for service has never been a problem.

• Visited October 2012
Kansas CIty
“Very good Chinese in Pantops area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2012

This looks like a fairly typical Chinese place in a strip mall. The decor is on the slightly nicer side, and the menu is vast.

I didn't know what to expect, but we ordered Gen Tso's chicken and a special, the Five Something Or Rather (I forgot the name, but it starts with Five), plus a vegetables in garlic sauce.

The Gen Tso's chicken was quality, with nice, big enough but not too big chunks of white meat chicken. Shang Hai navigated away from the usual curse of this choice, which is heavy batter and thick sauce. Instead, the batter was light and the sauce has a nice flavor without being syrupy.

The Five Something or Rather was a mix of seafood and chicken (though I don't think there's five of them), in a great blend of vegetables with a tasty brown sauce.

The vegetables in the Vegetables in Garlic Sauce were perfectly cooked and nicely sized. The only gripe was that the garlic sauce wasn't super garlicky. If I order garlic sauce, I can handle the garlic---pour it on!

The only regrettable piece was the appetizer thing they brought to start---rolled up something, finger food, and a sauce. We just looked at it. On the other hand, at the finish, they bring fresh orange slices with the fortune cookie, which I've always thought is a nice touch.

Recommended. We'll probably go back tonight!

• Visited August 2012