“AWESOME”

Ranked #63 of 566 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Loved The Norman! Great food, very extensive menu. Went back 2 days in a row. We were tempted by their bacon sides and they were wonderful. Bluegrass music in the background. This is a low-key local hangout and we could see why. Yum on the food!

Reviewed 8 February 2014

This was our second visit to the Bluegrass Grill and Bakery. And I have no idea why I ordered the Hungry Norman, because really, blackberry jam, goat cheese, sausage links, poached eggs, Hollandaise and an English muffin barely sound like they belong on the same plate together, much on top of each other. But oh my goodness, it was delicious! My husband looked on, in disbelief, as I ate every speck of this delicious concoction. We sat a shared table with another couple. He talked nonstop. She had also ordered the Hungry Norman. I don't think I heard her say a word. She was too busy enjoying the Norman. Oh yeah, my husband ordered the frittata that he ordered. If there's a long line..wait. It's worth it!

Reviewed 25 January 2014

Yes, the wait is long and the place is very small, but if you have patience, your patience will be rewarded with very good breakfast menu.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

I always try to get to Bluegrass Grill when I visit C'ville. It is one of my top 5 breakfasts in the US...I travel about 2 weeks a month, so this is important to me.

The food is always so good and it was this way on this visit too. We got in early, which is critical for this restaurant...especially in January. There is not much room to wait and the wait can be up to an hour (advertised on the wall sign at 45 minutes average). We had great service this visit, but I've had visits where the service is spotty and I got a sense that I was being done a favor to be allowed in...again, this visit was great.

This visit my son and I had the standard eggs, bacon and biscuit....all great. I also added the corned beef hash...which, in my opinion, is a must have at this restaurant...it is the real deal and so fulfilling...mixed with potatoes and melted swiss cheese.

The coffee is also pretty good, which I think is important for a good breakfast place...how can you have a great breakfast without good coffee? Well, you get both here!

Again, get there early...I think it opens at 7 AM and stays open until 2 PM.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

You really want Bluegrass Grill to be a friendly and hospitable place. Folks in Charlottesville have been exceedingly generous over the years in their praise and support of this popular breakfast spot. But the long waits, combined with indifferent, sometimes rude service, along with a memorable morning two years ago when Christy the owner slammed her hand down on the counter when I asked for cream, finally convinced me that my patronage was not appreciated. Today I returned with my son, who is home for college, and after waiting 45 minutes for eggs and sausage, which followed a 45 minute wait for a table, I realized what really drove me away for 2 years. The owners and servers seem to despise their customers. Rather than receiving an apology, or even an explanation, when I asked –around thirty minutes in --when the food would arrive, I received a cold stare followed by the remark, "it's going to be 20 more minutes, 4 tickets are ahead of you, would you like to cancel your order"? This must be what Purgatory feels like. The 20% tip I included in my check felt like a small price to pay to break free from this incubator of malaise into the sunlit afternoon.

2  Thank Binxontheloose