“Just like Mom used to make”

Bamboo House Restaurant
Ranked #350 of 563 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: Asian, Korean
Reviewed 8 May 2013

If you are into authentic, homestyle Korean cooking, this is the place for you. Service can be a bit slow when there's a crowd, but it's because the proprietor is an army of one, serving double duty in the kitchen and front of house.

The cooking style here reminds me of how my mother cooked when I was growing up. The banchan (side dishes) consist primarily of cabbage kimchee, bean sprouts, spinach, and shredded radish kimchee. Bulgogi, kalbi, bibimbap, friend mandu, scallion pancakes (pajeon) were all great. Occasionally, she makes ggakdugi (cubed radish kimchee) which is my favorite kind of kimchee.

The ambiance is a hit or miss with some folks I know. I personally enjoy the taxidermy on display (foxes, deer, and other woodlandish critters), but it freaks some people out.

1  Thank mikeyadvises

Reviewed 25 November 2012

This is one of those places you either love or your wife makes you get up and leave. They have a large menu that is sure to please. I had a tasty Korean noodle soup. Pretty sure that was spaghetti in there, but it was still great. Taxidermy and other funky decor, priceless. Bamboo house should be on one of those annoying foodtv shows : one of the most unique places I have ever eaten.

Reviewed 24 June 2012

The Bamboo House is right on Rt 29 but north of Cville. It doesn't look like a great place from the outside (a friend told me she assumed it was just a front for something when I told her we ate there! LOL). The food was excellent, even compared to Korean places in NYC. The only thing we did not like was the complimentary tea; the type of tea it was just wasn't our taste. Stick to other beverages and you will be happy!

Reviewed 12 June 2012

Love this authentic korean restaurant in Charlottesville. Perhaps less frequented as it is a bit way off along seminole trail beyond Target and Walmart but well worth a visit. Needless to say the signature dish here is the BBQ beef (BULGOGI) which is both tender and moist. The pan fried scallion pancake (Pa Jun) was delicious, and there were generous portion of kimchi and cabbage provided with the meal. We also had the hot bean curd casserole (soup) which was hot! The serving are quite big so best for a party of 4 or more if you wish to sample more variety of the menu.

1  Thank Billy Z