“'Just Regular Oysters'”

Rhett's River Grill & Raw Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Rhett's River Grill & Raw Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #81 of 540 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Price range: US$29 - US$31
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 29 North
Transit: Public bus stops up the road.
Description: Rhett's River Grill offers the freshest in seafood and Certified Angus Beef. We feature items like 12oz bone-in Ribeye, NY Strip, Ribs, Duck, Pasta dishes, Asian glazed Salmon, Crab cakes, steamed Shrimp, Mussels, Crab legs, Bay Oysters and succulent Scallops. Rhett's also offers a full line of sandwiches at lunch and an unbeatable Sunday brunch. We are open 7 days a week and offer a limited menu between lunch and dinner daily from 2:30pm to 5pm. Rhett's has dining for groups and special events. We offer casual dining in warm family friendly atmosphere. So come into Rhett's today with a group of friends or with someone special for a cozy dining experience. Rhett's also has a full bar and offers carry out and catering services. Tuesday nights are all you can eat Crab legs, Wednesday nights two entrees and half price bottle of wine, Thursday nights 50 cent raw or steamed Oysters and on Sunday nights kids eat free with adult purchases.
“'Just Regular Oysters'”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I asked what variety of oysters they had today and it wasn't a good sign when the waiter said, 'just regular oysters.'

My first dozen mystery oysters arrived on regular ice cubes rather than shaved or crushed ice. There was cocktail sauce and lemon wedges, but no mignonette sauce, horseradish or vinegar provided.

It wasn't a terrible meal, but when you are dropping $70 on oysters you really want everything to be perfect. Given the fact that they advertise themselves as a raw bar, Rhett's would do well to educate their servers about oyster varieties and instruct their kitchen staff on how oyster enthusiasts expect them to be presented.

• Visited June 2014

New York City, New York
“Good lunch”
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed fried green tomatoes, coconut shrimp, crab bisque, Caesar salad. My boyfriend thought that the shrimp had too much breading. Sauces were good. Crab bisque was excellent!
For dessert we had bananas foster...because I am lactose sensitive and ice cream kills me, we asked to separate the bananas from the ice cream. It's tasty but there is way too much butter and sugar sauce. Good thing we had it separated it or else it would have been a big soup...nice to just fish out the bananas.
Interior and service are not the best...but it's worth overlooking these details for the food!

Copperas Cove, Texas
“Good Food, Friendly Casual Atmosphere”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Visited for lunch on a Friday. The restaurant was clean and tidy, a fun atmosphere of part beach, part coastal fishing, part sports bar. Our waitress was friendly and helpful and a good server.
We had scallop appetizer, and Rivanna Sub and Dijon Chicken Salad sandwich. All of the food was fresh and the side salads were a nice healthy mix of stuff, not just iceberg lettuce. We loved the scallop bruschetta. I would definitely eat here again.

Visited May 2014
South Carolina
“One of the best in the 50 states”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The oysters, service, and atmosphere were great. It was the best seafood we have eaten in our experiences along the Atlantic and Gulf coasts. It was a great value also.

• Visited May 2014
Virginia
“Dinner Menu is better”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Since I had eaten here on our last visit to Charlottesville for dinner and liked it , we decided to drive out of our way to eat lunch. I was not impressed with menu which was basically sandwiches! The price was high and the food was average according to my wife & son because due to lack of items I liked I only got a side salad and BLT which was good, especially the house dressing. But this will not keep me from eating dinner here only lunch in the future. The service could have been better as I needed a refill to finish my lunch and it took forever for the waitress to check on us. The glasses could be bigger to help to prevent this with other customers. It was not crowded when we ate.

• Visited May 2014