“Amazing experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Boar's Head Ballooning - Private Flights

Boar's Head Ballooning - Private Flights
More attraction details
Owner description: Hot air ballooning over the historic city of Charlottesville, Virginia. From the sky you will view The Blue Ridge Mountain, Shenandoah Valley, Thomas Jefferson's Monticello and The University of Virginia.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children
NYC
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Amazing experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

I had such a great time with Boar's Head Ballooning. Friendly, smart, and professional, and experienced staff. They even had extra jackets available for people like me who get cold! If you want to do a balloon ride while in Charlottesville, this is the place!

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Jill L

Charlottesville
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“The hot air balloon pilot, Rick, makes flying seem safer than walking.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2012

I took my dad for a hot air balloon flight over Charlottesville for his 75th birthday. I am pretty scared of heights...and of anything remotely unsafe or scary. However, the pilot, Rick, put me completely at ease. The whole experience was one of the most, literally, awesome of my life. What a brilliant way to celebrate my dad's birthday. Thanks to Rick. I would highly recommend the experience.

Visited January 2012
1 Thank SimonC143
Louisa, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“90th Birthday Balloon Ride, crossed off bucket list!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

I had the opportunity to ride in a hot air balloon with my best friend, her brother and their Mom for her 90th Birthday! What a blast!
Rick Behr, owner/operator...made sure conditions were perfect, and when we got the call that we could go up we hit the road to Charlottesville!
We helped get the balloon ready, climbed in and then lifted like we were floating on a cloud! The beauty and peacefulness of it all was surreal...
We landed effortlessly, in fact the birthday girl said, "When we landed it felt like we were just bouncing lightly on a bed!"
I will look forward to when I can get back in the air with Rick at Boars Head Inn!!!!
Deborah Gregson

Visited January 2012
1 Thank DGregson
Charlottesville
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Incredible experience, wonderful pilot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2010

I am absolutely terrified of heights. Driving over bridges gives me the shakes. I thought I might try facing some of my worst fears by taking a balloon ride, and I couldn't have chosen better.

The pilot was friendly, warm, patient, understanding and gentle with my fears. Even though he was busy setting up the balloon initially (and in taking it down when we landed), he made sure we were all informed at every step about what was going to happen. He asked if anyone wanted to volunteer to help set the balloon up, they could take certain tasks, and for those of us who did, it was fun and contributed to the excitement and camaraderie of the experience. Those who didn't want to watched us with good humor.

It was really something to step into the cavern of the balloon as it was filling on the ground. The colors were beautiful.

The pilot took extra care with me, after I explained my fears. He's one of the most experienced in the business world-wide (I did my research before the flight!), and yet he was patient enough to keep it all simple, yet thoroughly and interestingly explained to his passengers. Wonderful sense of humor, as well.

He was also very cautious. He sent up a few helium balloons before the flight, explaining that he had to check the wind direction and speed at higher altitudes. He was also in contact with the airport on wind and approaching weather conditions - he explained, "safety is first, I don't take any chances with you". THANK YOU!

We were in luck, the weather & wind held, and I had a beautiful ride far above the treetops with breathtaking views of the Blue Ridge from the foothills. The clarity of the air and the view really surprised me, and I was also surprised at how very quiet and peaceful it was. The quality of light in the morning was also really, really beautiful. When I periodically started hyperventilating from fear, the pilot's gentle tones & quiet confidence talked me down so I could revel in the magic in spite of surges of adrenalin. I was even able to step to the edge of the basket, peer straight down, and wave to a few families when we were flying in town. THAT was a RUSH! I LOVED it.

Landing was more camaraderie, as we all had to cooperate with the pilot's guidance to keep the right amount of weight in the basket as the balloon was brought down. A couple of families with a flock of excited little kids came out to greet us, even though it was still very early in the morning. The little kids had a blast "helping" roll up the balloon, and gave us all hugs before we headed out.

I was surprised to hear a reviewer say they were pressured into buying photos - we came back to the Boar's Head for conversation and relaxation over orange juice after the flight, photos available for viewing over a TV screen in the background. We had the opportunity to look at the digital photos, and the opportunity (but no pressure) to buy. I liked the photos, so I bought them, digital version, at a reasonable price.

Overall, a delightful and MAGICAL experience. And I couldn't have asked for a better pilot and crew. Wonderful. HIGHLY recommend!

1 Thank Redemma44
Vienna, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fabulous day of ballooning-delightful pilot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2010

My husband and I went flying with Bear Balloon in June 2010 and had the most wonderful time! We were met at the Boar's Head Inn and kindly instructed as to what to expect. We were taken to our departure location and had the most delightful flight. I loved the sensation of gliding through the air. The pilot was knowledgeable and personable and my husband and I liked him very much. After our flight we were given pictures of our flight and a toast back at the Boar's Head Inn. It was a delightful experience and I look forward to flying with Bear Balloon Corporation again.

2 Thank sd32