“School tours Part Deux” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hyatt Place Charlottesville

Hyatt Place Charlottesville
Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
GreenLeadersSilver level
“School tours Part Deux”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

My first time at a Hyatt Place but it won't be my last! We booked a King suite with sofa bed for the 3 of us. Turned out to be a handicap accessible room which was ok by me. The room was beautiful and clean and had a fridge for our travel waters. The only con about the room was very limited room to get to bathroom from the King bed when the sofa was pulled out. There is a little privacy wall that could be eliminated for space and safety.
The breakfast was wonderful and the staff were some of the friendliest I have encountered! I may never be back to Charlottesville but I'll def stay at another Hyatt property.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Lisa M
Kico H, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Charlottesville, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Hi Lisa M,

We are all happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Hyatt does their best to see that there is consistency across the Hyatt Place brand, so it is our hope that you have the same experience during your next Hyatt Place stay.
Bust of luck with the school tours.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Korean first
Morgantown, West Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

...particularly if you are a family apparently. Terrible stay. We have stayed at numerous Hyatt Place hotels across the eastern U.S. This is by far the worst experience we have had. First, this new Hyatt Place doesn't mean improved - they have clearly downgraded on room sizes and amenities. But, our main problem had to do with the fact that we booked a suite (we have three kids; the separate room is essential) - and when we checked in they did not have a suite to give us. However, they did not tell us this, and tried to pass off a regular room as a suite (we had to drag the family back down to the lobby after we saw the room was clearly not what we reserved). Marisa then explained that someone wanted to extend their stay; therefore the suite we reserved was not available. After much back and forth, we relented, only to ask for a slightly bigger room farther from the elevator. However, after getting into that room, we were told we had to move again as they already gave that room to somebody else! We clearly are not high on their priority list. So, three rooms later we do not have the suite we reserved as they gave it to somebody else and did nothing to try to resolve the situation. And now I am sitting in the dark hoping my three kids stay asleep, as I can't do much else. I will not recommend this Hyatt Place to anybody.

Room Tip: Call before you arrive to make sure you get the room you book!
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank MJG70
Hello MJG70,

Your time to offer a review of our hotel is appreciated. I regret that we fell short on so many levels during your stay. I travel often and to arrive at a hotel and not have the room originally reserved is frustrating for me. To be traveling with children I am sure creates an even a higher level of inconvenience.

I wish it were not the case, but there are times that guests arrive to the hotel and we do not have the original room type available. There are multiple reasons for this and I will list a few, the room had been smoked in, or prior guests doing physical damage to a room. We also encounter engineering issues such a plumbing, broken hardware and the typical items that would take place in your own home. There are occasions where a guest may be in a room recovering from an operation at UVA Medical center and need to extend, other times it could be a family who is with us due to fire damage in their home and the contractors have not completed work in the time frame expected, at that point they need to extend their stay. These issues present us with difficult decisions regarding each and every guest. Often there is no correct decision.

With that said, there is a right way and a wrong way to execute that decision once it has been made. In reading your comments, we certainly could have handled this better. It would be my hope that you had been made aware of the situation prior to arrival, at that point you would have had the opportunity to decide on staying with us or moving to a neighboring hotel. At which point we should offer to assist if needed. I will discuss this scenario with our team.

To be moved multiple times is far from acceptable, I apologize for this inconvenience, and will use this as a training tool to get better for future guests.

We do not prioritize or categorize guests. It is our hope that each guest enjoys their stay while at Hyatt Place Charlottesville. Families are a big part of what we do, and the staff always has fun with the children, no matter what age. I sincerely apologize for the perception that you and your family were not a priority, however if I had the same experience, I would likely feel the same way.
Feel free to contact me directly if you would like to have a more detailed discussion regarding your stay. Should you plan to return to Charlottesville and would be willing to give us a second opportunity, I ask that you reach out to me during the reservation process.
Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

This location is great because you can walk to the movies, several restaurants, shops, trader joes, and have a good workout facility along with an indoor pool. The rooms are clean with a sitting area and refrig. This is a good place to stay with kids. Safe feeling. Would recommend, and this is our 2nd stay at this hotel.

3 Thank Bubbie2
Kico H, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Charlottesville, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Hello Bubble2,
It is wonderful to hear that you have stayed with us twice now. One great thing about our indoor pool is that there is an outdoor sunbathing deck attached. The shopping center has a lot to offer. Children seem to enjoy the park like green space next to the hotel. In regards to safety, the area is well lit. During they day key access is required at each entry other than the main. At night we also lock the main entry from 10pm to 7am.

I hope we see you back for a third trip.
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed 1 night and was impressed upon entering. Very friendly greeting at check in and representative was informative of area activities and helpful. Clean hotel and good size rooms with sleeper sofa if needed. Thick walls and doors kept room more quiet from adjacent and hallway noise, but unfortunately person in room above us was heavy- footed. Nice sink area in bathroom to place toiletries and room was equipped with mini fridge. Good work space if needed. Wifi included which other places seem to usually charge for. Only complaint is that bed position is right under air flow for cooling which was slightly annoying and unit is noisy when on. Used gym which was small but decently stocked with well-kept treadmills, elliptical, bike and weights. Free breakfast was decent (good coffee) with eggs, sausage, French toast, Belgian waffles, cereal, fruit, oatmeal, pastries, etc. price was a bit higher, but with all the extras, it probably is reasonable. Hotel is located next to ( in walking distance) new open mall with several restaurants and shops. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floor so may avoid noise from rooms above
1 Thank 123liz456
Kico H, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Charlottesville, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Hello Liz,

Your time to rate our hotel is greatly appreciated by the entire staff. I regret that you had issues with the guest above and found the cooling unit to be disturbing. It is nice to hear that you found the hotel to be well appointed, and most importantly you mentioned the friendliness of the staff. Anyone curious about restaurants and shopping may Google "Shops at Stonefield Charlottesville", as they have a very helpful website.
We wish you the best and hope that we have an opportunity to host you in the future.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Stayed here for several days. Requested a quiet room away from the elevator and was given the first one next to it! Room was spacious but awkward in a way. Some have full length mirrors, others do not. The location is good, there are shops and restaurants to walk to without bothering on Rt 29. And there is a park short distance away for a good run. The greatest asset is the staff who are very friendly. But housekeeping fell short on a number of occasions. The breakfast was basic but good. Unfortunately no complimentary coffee bar after breakfast, which is expected for a business hotel. I would stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Kico H, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Charlottesville, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Hello CC,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I am happy your overall stay was positive, however it is clear that we have some items to work on in order to provide you the perfect stay next time. At times we can not honor each request such as rooms away from the elevator, my minimum expectation is that the Gallery Host makes you aware of our inability to meet your request at check-in and offer you the opportunity to relocate at a later time, there should be no surprises when you arrive to your guest room. I apologize that we fell short in this area.
Hyatt Place does not offer daily complimentary coffee, I regret this was an inconvenience. We are able to provide unlimited in room coffee, as well as a Starbucks counter in the Gallery.
It is always great to hear that the staff met expectations, as they are our most important part of our hotel.
I hope we have the chance to host you again. Should you find time, please e-mail me how the housekeeping staff fell short, I would appreciate the opportunity to correct these issues.
kico.hedrick@hyatt.com
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Spent a night here on a visit to UVa, not the nearest place to stay but location is right besides an upscale strip mall you can walk too with a number of options to eat and shop, and the campus is just 5 minutes drive away anyway.

The hotel itself is very new so everything pretty much works. They have all the basics , free wifi, free breakfast (including a few hot items which is nice), gym, pool, etc. Everything one would expect to find in a mid level business kind of hotel.

Our room was designed for a big family of up to 3. We had 2 queen beds and pull out sofa couch. Very well appointed and squeeky clen. The only thing was the aircon was quite noisy. Not too loud but for some picky people this may be an issue.

All in all a very good place to stay in Charlottesville. Not the place to be looking for if charm and grace are high on your list but surely competence, cleanliness and a good location are here.

Room Tip: The hotel is a bit off the highway and as such in a pretty quiet area. I don't think there are a...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Hello Peter,

We are pleased that we had an opportunity to host you during your time in Charlottesville. I appreciate the guest room description, as it does allow extra space with the seating area. We are located in a new town center style development, and it does not offer the Jeffersonian architecture of Downtown Charlottesville, it is a much more contemporary setting. I do hope that you will stay with us again on your next trip to Charlottesville.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

Stayed here for several days. Requested a quiet room and was given a corner room, which was indeed very quiet in terms of hotel noise. Some rare outside traffic noise, and the A/C unit was mildly loud (the fan also blows directly onto the bed--not ideal). The room was new, modern, and clean. It did take a fairly long time for the water to warm up in the shower though, which means you had to run the water for a long time before getting in (not exactly in line with the green image of the hotel--the cleaning staff would also often lower the thermostat for the A/C to 68 degrees).

There was plenty of parking, especially in the back of the hotel (like many hotels in Charlottesville, a car is almost a necessity). The high-speed internet was very fast. Breakfast was above average with a good selection of rotating hot food choices. Weekdays were better than weekends though when things got a little chaotic and basics were not always replenished (eg silverware or hot water for tea). Overall, the stay was very good and would recommend the hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank vvv3
Kico H, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Charlottesville, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Hello vvv3

Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. Your comments will certainly allow us to get better. I appreciate the details regarding the hot water and adjustment of the thermostat. As a LEED Certified hotel these two items go against our green initiative. Not replenishing basic items during weekend service, no matter how busy, is unacceptable and I will do my best to correct this issue.
We are happy you enjoyed your overall stay and hope that we will have the opportunity to host you in the future.