“Still a Soft Opening”

Hyatt Place Charlottesville
Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
GreenLeadersSilver level
Arlington, VA
“Still a Soft Opening”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

The rooms at this new Hyatt Place location are modern, clean and aesthetically appealling. As is typical for the brand, a large, well located and comfortable couch makes each room feel more like a suite than a typical business hotel. Bathrooms are bright and modern. While I often prefer to stay near the downtown pedestrian mall for more walkable charm, this location near new shops and restaurants is a close second. Great location to zip onto the bypass quickly.

But beware--service is still in the learning stages. While typical transactions (check-in, check-out) are fine, the hotel staff are nowhere near sufficiently trained for anything out of the ordinary. I've stayed at this location three times in three months, and every visit has encountered a significant service issue. Many of these are not atypical while breaking in a new hotel--fire alarms that go off for no reason, new installations that don't work, keys that can't be found for service cabinets--nothing earth shattering. But in each case, the staff was entirely unprepared to handle the issue--and no manager was on site--so what should have been a quick fix turned into a major service disruption. For the fire alarm--I had to move rooms entirely if I ever wanted to sleep. A reservation mix-up--it took two hours away from a business meeting to ensure that my room would be billed properly. In at least two instances, a staff member said s/he would call back with a resolution but never did. When I called the front desk to follow up, I was told that I hadn't answered my room phone. Really? Maybe even the phones don't work. In six months this location may have its act together, but be forewarned until then.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ArlingtonTravels
Kico H, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Charlottesville, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Hello ArlingtonTravels,

It is nice to have the input from a guest who has been with us multiple times. It is our hope that each stay is perfect, to have something go wrong on multiple trips would be frustrating for anyone. The smoke detector specifically should have been an easy fix and I will follow up with our team to see that we are prepared for this the next time it should happen. It is disturbing to hear of the reservation mix ups as well as communication issues, I will include my contact information should you ever need assistance in the future.
I hope that you will continue to stay with us and that we can provide the perfect stay on your next trip.

kico.hedrick@hyatt.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Korean first
Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

I spent 5 nights here. It's in a very accessible location. Also, it is one block over from a shopping center with boutiques, restaurants and a movie theatre. I was there to attend an event in the basketball arena at UVA. It's less than 2 miles from the arena. It's close enough to campus that you can get there as needed, but far enough away that it isn't saturated with college students. Rooms were clean, and the staff was courteous. They have a guest laundry room that is free of charge to use, you just have to provide your detergent and softener. Rooms and bathrooms were very clean. Rooms are large. The only thing I wasn't crazy about was the bathroom door. It's a sliding door with etched glass. I didn't feel like it was "private" enough for me. Other than that it was a good stay and I would stay again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Tiffani S
Hi Tiffani,

Thank you for the staying with us. We enjoyed hosting your group, they provided our staff with lots of laughs. It was a fun week. We hope to be hosting you again next year and we will see you then.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

My first time at a Hyatt Place but it won't be my last! We booked a King suite with sofa bed for the 3 of us. Turned out to be a handicap accessible room which was ok by me. The room was beautiful and clean and had a fridge for our travel waters. The only con about the room was very limited room to get to bathroom from the King bed when the sofa was pulled out. There is a little privacy wall that could be eliminated for space and safety.
The breakfast was wonderful and the staff were some of the friendliest I have encountered! I may never be back to Charlottesville but I'll def stay at another Hyatt property.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Lisa M
Hi Lisa M,

We are all happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Hyatt does their best to see that there is consistency across the Hyatt Place brand, so it is our hope that you have the same experience during your next Hyatt Place stay.
Bust of luck with the school tours.
Morgantown, West Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

...particularly if you are a family apparently. Terrible stay. We have stayed at numerous Hyatt Place hotels across the eastern U.S. This is by far the worst experience we have had. First, this new Hyatt Place doesn't mean improved - they have clearly downgraded on room sizes and amenities. But, our main problem had to do with the fact that we booked a suite (we have three kids; the separate room is essential) - and when we checked in they did not have a suite to give us. However, they did not tell us this, and tried to pass off a regular room as a suite (we had to drag the family back down to the lobby after we saw the room was clearly not what we reserved). Marisa then explained that someone wanted to extend their stay; therefore the suite we reserved was not available. After much back and forth, we relented, only to ask for a slightly bigger room farther from the elevator. However, after getting into that room, we were told we had to move again as they already gave that room to somebody else! We clearly are not high on their priority list. So, three rooms later we do not have the suite we reserved as they gave it to somebody else and did nothing to try to resolve the situation. And now I am sitting in the dark hoping my three kids stay asleep, as I can't do much else. I will not recommend this Hyatt Place to anybody.

Room Tip: Call before you arrive to make sure you get the room you book!
10 Thank MJG70
Hello MJG70,

Your time to offer a review of our hotel is appreciated. I regret that we fell short on so many levels during your stay. I travel often and to arrive at a hotel and not have the room originally reserved is frustrating for me. To be traveling with children I am sure creates an even a higher level of inconvenience.

I wish it were not the case, but there are times that guests arrive to the hotel and we do not have the original room type available. There are multiple reasons for this and I will list a few, the room had been smoked in, or prior guests doing physical damage to a room. We also encounter engineering issues such a plumbing, broken hardware and the typical items that would take place in your own home. There are occasions where a guest may be in a room recovering from an operation at UVA Medical center and need to extend, other times it could be a family who is with us due to fire damage in their home and the contractors have not completed work in the time frame expected, at that point they need to extend their stay. These issues present us with difficult decisions regarding each and every guest. Often there is no correct decision.

With that said, there is a right way and a wrong way to execute that decision once it has been made. In reading your comments, we certainly could have handled this better. It would be my hope that you had been made aware of the situation prior to arrival, at that point you would have had the opportunity to decide on staying with us or moving to a neighboring hotel. At which point we should offer to assist if needed. I will discuss this scenario with our team.

To be moved multiple times is far from acceptable, I apologize for this inconvenience, and will use this as a training tool to get better for future guests.

We do not prioritize or categorize guests. It is our hope that each guest enjoys their stay while at Hyatt Place Charlottesville. Families are a big part of what we do, and the staff always has fun with the children, no matter what age. I sincerely apologize for the perception that you and your family were not a priority, however if I had the same experience, I would likely feel the same way.
Feel free to contact me directly if you would like to have a more detailed discussion regarding your stay. Should you plan to return to Charlottesville and would be willing to give us a second opportunity, I ask that you reach out to me during the reservation process.
Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

This location is great because you can walk to the movies, several restaurants, shops, trader joes, and have a good workout facility along with an indoor pool. The rooms are clean with a sitting area and refrig. This is a good place to stay with kids. Safe feeling. Would recommend, and this is our 2nd stay at this hotel.

3 Thank Bubbie2
Kico H, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Charlottesville, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Hello Bubble2,
It is wonderful to hear that you have stayed with us twice now. One great thing about our indoor pool is that there is an outdoor sunbathing deck attached. The shopping center has a lot to offer. Children seem to enjoy the park like green space next to the hotel. In regards to safety, the area is well lit. During they day key access is required at each entry other than the main. At night we also lock the main entry from 10pm to 7am.

I hope we see you back for a third trip.
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed 1 night and was impressed upon entering. Very friendly greeting at check in and representative was informative of area activities and helpful. Clean hotel and good size rooms with sleeper sofa if needed. Thick walls and doors kept room more quiet from adjacent and hallway noise, but unfortunately person in room above us was heavy- footed. Nice sink area in bathroom to place toiletries and room was equipped with mini fridge. Good work space if needed. Wifi included which other places seem to usually charge for. Only complaint is that bed position is right under air flow for cooling which was slightly annoying and unit is noisy when on. Used gym which was small but decently stocked with well-kept treadmills, elliptical, bike and weights. Free breakfast was decent (good coffee) with eggs, sausage, French toast, Belgian waffles, cereal, fruit, oatmeal, pastries, etc. price was a bit higher, but with all the extras, it probably is reasonable. Hotel is located next to ( in walking distance) new open mall with several restaurants and shops. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floor so may avoid noise from rooms above
1 Thank 123liz456
Kico H, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Charlottesville, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Hello Liz,

Your time to rate our hotel is greatly appreciated by the entire staff. I regret that you had issues with the guest above and found the cooling unit to be disturbing. It is nice to hear that you found the hotel to be well appointed, and most importantly you mentioned the friendliness of the staff. Anyone curious about restaurants and shopping may Google "Shops at Stonefield Charlottesville", as they have a very helpful website.
We wish you the best and hope that we have an opportunity to host you in the future.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Stayed here for several days. Requested a quiet room away from the elevator and was given the first one next to it! Room was spacious but awkward in a way. Some have full length mirrors, others do not. The location is good, there are shops and restaurants to walk to without bothering on Rt 29. And there is a park short distance away for a good run. The greatest asset is the staff who are very friendly. But housekeeping fell short on a number of occasions. The breakfast was basic but good. Unfortunately no complimentary coffee bar after breakfast, which is expected for a business hotel. I would stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Kico H, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Charlottesville, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Hello CC,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I am happy your overall stay was positive, however it is clear that we have some items to work on in order to provide you the perfect stay next time. At times we can not honor each request such as rooms away from the elevator, my minimum expectation is that the Gallery Host makes you aware of our inability to meet your request at check-in and offer you the opportunity to relocate at a later time, there should be no surprises when you arrive to your guest room. I apologize that we fell short in this area.
Hyatt Place does not offer daily complimentary coffee, I regret this was an inconvenience. We are able to provide unlimited in room coffee, as well as a Starbucks counter in the Gallery.
It is always great to hear that the staff met expectations, as they are our most important part of our hotel.
I hope we have the chance to host you again. Should you find time, please e-mail me how the housekeeping staff fell short, I would appreciate the opportunity to correct these issues.
kico.hedrick@hyatt.com