“New and nicely located”

Hyatt Place Charlottesville
Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed at this sparkling new Hyatt Place in Charlottesville on Bond Street during a family vacation in March. It had been quite a while since we had stayed at a Hyatt property. Our stay there recently led us to try out another Hyatt (House) property as a result.

This hotel is modern and comfortable, with a large lobby with comfortable seating. The room was big (2 double beds plus cozy corner sleeper, as well as a microwave and mini-fridge.) It was not a suite setup (like at a Homewood Suites or Residence Inn), but for 4 of us, we had plenty of room.

The "forgot anything?" program was well-equipped, and was able to supply complimentary toiletries we had run out of.

The complimentary breakfast was quite good, including eggs, potatoes and other hot items, laid out in a large space which alleviated the typical crowded, competitive breakfast jockeying for position game found at other hotels. It appears that someone really imagined what the space would be like when in use by large crowds on a busy morning. Staff was helpful and stayed busy restocking the breakfast offerings.

Best of all, this location is great for an evening stroll to a movie or to a nearby Trader Joes' and other shopping. No driving required.

Would definitely stay here again when in Charlottesville. Glad we made the return to Hyatt.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank SpringdaleGirl
Kico H, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Charlottesville, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Hi SpringdaleGirl,

We are happy to have you back at Hyatt. Thank you for pointing out the "forgot anything" program, this along with our "burrows program" offers guests just about anything they may be missing.
Please come back and see us soon.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

When you evaluate a place you have to take into account the context. This is a business hotel in a relatively small town from US perspective. It does not look for any luxury, it's aim at people who want a good place to stay while doing business in town. Also, you have to take into account this is a Hyatt Place property, not Hyatt only. So, it's not the most upscale brand but the one aim toward business and quality but budget conscious travelers. In this context, it's a great hotel. No luxuries but everything is clean and brand new. Very good taste in the decoration and very helpful staff, despite some very little issues can always be found if you like to complain. These are usual whenever a new property opens and even usual in well stablished hotels.

Rooms are excellent and provide everything a business guest may look for. Very comfortable bed, a small living room, excellent TV set and even microwave and coffee machine. Very important, excellent wifi service, which is a priority for business travelers. Also, a reasonably good gym is open 24 hojas. Some details missing are a bath is very (only shower is available),a safe box inside the room and a bit better complimentary PCs at the business center. It's true that nowadays almost everyone has it's own laptop, the hotel has three PCs that are not up to the best standars, not sure if it's the hardware or software (they run a restricted version of Windows 8 customized for Hyatt)

During my stay I have seen many families staying, so clearly it's being a good choice for this type of traveller. However, take into account that this hotel does not offer any amenities for children except for an indoor pool.

If I don't give five stars is because the hotel despite being in a new rather upscale neighborhood in town with some good shops and restaurants it is not at walking distance from downtown, but this fact is taken into account in the fare I guess. If you have a car, this is not a problem at all. Please be advised that Hyatt is building a brand new hotel in the heart of the historic district, to directly compete with the up-to-now mostrar luxurious hotel in town that is the Omni.

For a city like Charlottesville, it's one of the best options after the Omni and the a Courtyard UVA, the latter case due to proximity to Downtown. Don't hesitate to book in this hotel.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Hello PaulAuster999,

Thank you for such a detailed review, it is clear you are familiar with Charlottesville. It is nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay.
Along with Hyatt House, we are the select service portion of Hyatt Hotels, which means we lack full service amenities such as fine dining, spa, and the extra services found at a Grant Hyatt or Hyatt Regency.
We do not offer an in-room safe, but we do have safety deposit boxes at the front desk. Our KING rooms have walk-in showers, and our Double Queen guest rooms offer the traditional tub/shower combination.
The hotel being built downtown across from the Omni is not going to be a Hyatt. It is being built by another major hotel chain, and will be a select service/extended stay brand.
I understand the desire for some travelers to be located in Historic Downtown, however if this is not a priority, as you mentioned the Shops at Stonefield have a lot to offer. I hope we have a chance to host you in the future.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

My husband and I, and mother-in-law stayed for one night this past weekend. We were in the area visiting a family member at the cardiology wing of UVA hospital. We arrived around 9pm and the entry foyer was beautiful and quiet. The front desk staff was very nice and accommodating and we just did not feel like we were at one of those big huge check-in desks you find at most hotels. The decor and feel of the hotel is very natural and comfortable and beautiful.
Our room was very spacious and it included two queen beds and a pull out (queen size) sectional sofa. The bathroom was spacious and very up-to-date. The best part of this hotel was how extremely clean the room and bathrooms were. The bed and pillows were perfect and the linens were high quality.
The breakfast, served on saturday from 7am-10am was very nice. The offerings of "skillet" selections as well as fruit, cereals and breads were abundant. The selection of coffee and fine tea was always well stocked (no empty coffee urns). Though Hyatt Place may be a bit more pricey than other area hotels, not having to go out to breakfast ( and the quality of the room/beds )make up for the extra that you do pay.
The staff is very friendly and professional. Even the gentleman who was busy taking care of the coffee station was kind enough to stop and talk with me about my morning, and made sure that we had everything we needed. You don't get that type of hospitality just anywhere! I would not hesitate to stay here again and having the opportunity I may check out other Hyatt properties since I now have a really great example of what a Hyatt experience should be like! Thanks Hyatt Place!

Room Tip: The two-queen beds with pull out sofa is a pretty good sized room and it prevented us from having to...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Raeart
Kico H, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Charlottesville, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Hi Raeart,
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to offer comments on our hotel. The Queen-Queen room does offer a lot of space. The other room option is a single King and all rooms have a pull out sofa as well as a refrigerator. There is a microwave in our Gallery area which guests may use 24/7.
It is always good to hear that a team member approached you at some point to offer assistance. We do our best to put the guest first.
I hope to see you on your next visit to Charlottesville.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Our 2 night stay at the Hyatt was really great. The staff went out of their way to be courteous and helpful. The hotel is new, very clean and very contemporary in design which we loved. Sliding glass pocket door in the bath, modern faucets, lighted mirror, large tiled shower with frameless clear glass doors. Comfy bed, great 42" TV and seating area. Really first class, great pricing. We did have an issue with the first room on the 6th floor being directly under the AC units, but with a call to the front desk, Richard changed our room and came up to help us move. Actually Richard and Jeanene were on the evening shift both days we stayed and really became friends. Breakfast was hot, quick and tasty. Check in and out efficient and friendly. We'll be back in the area in a month or so and will not hesitate to make this hotel our first choice.

Room Tip: Caution: AC unit sits above Rm. 630
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello Lynn D,
It is great to hear that you will be staying with us again. I also enjoy the room layout of this hotel, especially the bathrooms. I apologize that your initial guest room was not satisfactory. I certainly appreciate you allowing us the opportunity to correct the issue, and it sounds as though our team executed your room move to perfection.
I noticed your comments regarding the "Green Features". I agree with your criteria when it comes to choosing a hotel, it sounds as though we lived up to the expectations.
For those who are curious about our Green Initiative, we are a LEED certified hotel. Hyatt Place Charlottesville also offers two complimentary car charging stations for overnight guests.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

Sara Bishop ,Gen.Mgr.. and Kico Hedrick , Asst.GM, have orchestrated a professionally operated hotel in Charlottesville, Va. The attention to detail was phenomenal and their staff is totally focused on the "Guest Experience". The following staff members were absolutely fantastic in their service delivery: Cynthia,Marisa,Brent,Andre,Melissa, and Derrick. They truly "made the difference" during our stay and we wish all of you continued success. Great job !

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Hello Lee,
We appreciate you listing team members that had the most impact during your stay. I look forward to sharing your comments with them. Sara and I are fortunate to have each and every associate take pride in delivering service to our guests.
We hope that we have another opportunity to host you in the future.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

The rooms at this new Hyatt Place location are modern, clean and aesthetically appealling. As is typical for the brand, a large, well located and comfortable couch makes each room feel more like a suite than a typical business hotel. Bathrooms are bright and modern. While I often prefer to stay near the downtown pedestrian mall for more walkable charm, this location near new shops and restaurants is a close second. Great location to zip onto the bypass quickly.

But beware--service is still in the learning stages. While typical transactions (check-in, check-out) are fine, the hotel staff are nowhere near sufficiently trained for anything out of the ordinary. I've stayed at this location three times in three months, and every visit has encountered a significant service issue. Many of these are not atypical while breaking in a new hotel--fire alarms that go off for no reason, new installations that don't work, keys that can't be found for service cabinets--nothing earth shattering. But in each case, the staff was entirely unprepared to handle the issue--and no manager was on site--so what should have been a quick fix turned into a major service disruption. For the fire alarm--I had to move rooms entirely if I ever wanted to sleep. A reservation mix-up--it took two hours away from a business meeting to ensure that my room would be billed properly. In at least two instances, a staff member said s/he would call back with a resolution but never did. When I called the front desk to follow up, I was told that I hadn't answered my room phone. Really? Maybe even the phones don't work. In six months this location may have its act together, but be forewarned until then.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ArlingtonTravels
Kico H, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Charlottesville, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Hello ArlingtonTravels,

It is nice to have the input from a guest who has been with us multiple times. It is our hope that each stay is perfect, to have something go wrong on multiple trips would be frustrating for anyone. The smoke detector specifically should have been an easy fix and I will follow up with our team to see that we are prepared for this the next time it should happen. It is disturbing to hear of the reservation mix ups as well as communication issues, I will include my contact information should you ever need assistance in the future.
I hope that you will continue to stay with us and that we can provide the perfect stay on your next trip.

kico.hedrick@hyatt.com

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I spent 5 nights here. It's in a very accessible location. Also, it is one block over from a shopping center with boutiques, restaurants and a movie theatre. I was there to attend an event in the basketball arena at UVA. It's less than 2 miles from the arena. It's close enough to campus that you can get there as needed, but far enough away that it isn't saturated with college students. Rooms were clean, and the staff was courteous. They have a guest laundry room that is free of charge to use, you just have to provide your detergent and softener. Rooms and bathrooms were very clean. Rooms are large. The only thing I wasn't crazy about was the bathroom door. It's a sliding door with etched glass. I didn't feel like it was "private" enough for me. Other than that it was a good stay and I would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Tiffani S

Hi Tiffani,

Thank you for the staying with us. We enjoyed hosting your group, they provided our staff with lots of laughs. It was a fun week. We hope to be hosting you again next year and we will see you then.