“Great location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hyatt Place Charlottesville

Hyatt Place Charlottesville
Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston
“Great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

This Hyatt Place is part of a new shopping area in Charlottesville. It was pretty new and very clean. You can walk to a Trader Joes, several restaurants, a few other stores right in the same parking lot. A minute down the street is other shopping. There had been a storm a few hours before we checked in; no one told us that the cable was out. It was still out the next day. We met people at the elevator who were going down to ask about the cable - they thought it was just a problem with their room. Met another couple, same thing. Apparently, no one was tellng people about this as they checked in. The breakfast area was very crowded and it made for lines to get food. Typical "free" breakfast options were available. The glasses and larger plates were on shelves above the food counter. More than once I had to help a petite woman get a glass or plate because she simply couldn't reach these items. By the third morning of our stay, we didn't even bother with the breakfast.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Kico H, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Charlottesville, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Hello Magal65,

I am happy to hear that the location worked so well for you. At the same time I regret you had negative experiences during your stay. I am aware of the evening that we lost our television signal and we fell short by not making you aware of this during arrival. I will be following up with our team to see we that we handle this better in the future. The last hour during breakfast can become hectic.
Should you choose to stay with us again, it is my hope that we can provide a more positive stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Korean first
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

I stayed for a week at the Hyatt Place and I really like the hotel. It sits right next to a shopping center that has shopping, several restaurants and a Trader Joes. The hotel was spotless and very accommodating. It is near the JAG school but too far to walk. Breakfast was very good. The place is very new.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kico H, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Charlottesville, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Hello Christa,
We are excited that more and more JAG students are discovering our property. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the inclusive breakfast.
Here are a few items that I think will make us attractive to other JAG Students visiting the area. If you are a JAG guest you will receive complimentary access to the Gold's Gym just across the street, as well as complimentary transportation to and from the JAG School. Breakfast, internet, and parking are complimentary. Along with a strong wireless signal, we also hard wired each guest room for added government security. We are a LEED certified hotel and offer two car charging stations for overnight guests.
I hope you stay with us for your next course.
Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

We loved this hotel. It is very convenient to shopping, restaurants and historical treasures. As an extra bonus, it is located in one of my new favorite cities...Charlottesville, VA. What a beautiful place. Anyway, the hotel is very clean, quiet and comfortable. We had quite a few questions for the staff and they were always helpful, efficient and pleasant. I can't wait to visit here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
Hello Debbie A,

Thanks for letting everyone know what a great city we have. Between the wineries, UVA, being home to three Presidents, amazing restaurants, and the music, there is always something fun happening. It is a great place to spend a long weekend.
It is always nice to hear that staff was not only friendly but efficient, thank you for sharing that. We can't wait for you to visit again.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

I stayed here from 6 July to 8 July.

The first thing to note is that while the hotel has a shuttle that theoretically can pick a guest up from the Amtrak station on West Main Street, you should know:

1. Amtrak is 15 mins away by cab or hotel shuttle
2. The shuttle operates from 7am to 7pm
3. The hotel shuttle often requires over 90 mins advance booking
4. Catching a cab from the Amtrak station requires you to call one as they do not trawl the streets looking for passengers. And if you are like me and arrive without the cab company’s number, on a Sunday night when most shops are closed, you will thank your lucky stars that McDonald’s is a 15 min walk away where (a) you can get a feed and (b) ask the staff for the cab company’s number and eat your double quarter pounder with fries while waiting the common 15 mins until it arrives. It is important that you choose a well known landmark when waiting for the cab and this McDonald’s is the only one in or near Downtown, so it easy for the cab driver to find you.

As to the hotel itself:

1. It started operating in Sept 2013 and it both looks and smells brand spankin’ new;
2. Rooms are modern, well equipped and lovely. Great bed, new TV and a fridge. Price wise this chain is on par with La Quinta but has more panache. Then again, with age it may loose the panache. Let’s hope not!
3. Rooms are clean.
4. While the oatmeal and pastries for breakfast are nice, the range of food is very limited. Below La Quinta standards but above Comfort Inn.
5. Staff here like their jobs and are eager to please, especially Jenice and Andre.

While I cannot speak for the overall quality of Hyatt Place as a chain, this particular hotel for the money $119 (plus taxes) is money well spent.

The only negative is the hotel's procedure regarding safe deposit boxes.

In my many years of travel EVERY hotel I have stayed in uses two keys to open and lock the box. Either I physically use one key and the hotel uses the other to open/close the box OR the hotel uses both keys, but always IN MY LINE OF SIGHT.

At this hotel a guest gives his safe box key to staff who go to another room, close the door behind them and return with the box soon after.

This can lead to suspicions by the guest who loses control over his key and for a couple of minutes wonders if the contents of the box which he will receive is what he deposited.

I think this hotel's procedure needs to change.

This hotel scores 8 out of 10 in my books. And I am a hard marker. Once the safe deposit issue is rectified, I will give it a 8.5.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
2 Thank JA-From-Sydney
Hello JA-From-Sydney,

What a wonderfully detailed review. You are correct in the reporting of the shuttle policies, as well as the description of the Amtrak Station. For arrivals that may not be comfortable walking to McDonalds, there is a Wild Wings (Sports Bar) right at the station that can be utilized as well.
I apologize the safe deposit box gave you discomfort. It is actually located in the rear office of our front desk. Regretfully, I do not anticipate a change to its location.
We were happy to hear the positive comments regarding the property, and appreciate your letting us know you are a "hard marker". Please visit us again, we are doing our best to maintain the newness of the hotel.
Falls Church, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

The room we stayed in had two very comfortable queen size beds and a sleeper couch. We didnt use the couch but it was comfy to sit on. The room and the bathroom were spotless. I took a well-deserved hot bath in an immaculate tub. The hotel is not in walking distance of UVa but it only took 5 mins to drive to the garage that had been designated for summer orientation parking. In my excitement to set out on our trip, I neglected to put my overnight bag in the car. I arrived with only the clothes on my back. There were LOTS of stores within 5 minute drive of the hotel that I went to a dept store and bought everything I needed for the stay. The hotel gave me toiletries like toothbrush, deodorant, shaving cream, a razor etc for free. Staff was super friendly. The address of the hotel did not show up on my GPS and the alternate address the hotel gives out for GPS use wasnt exactly right but I called the desk and they directed me over the phone. Basically it is located behind the Regal Cinema in an area called Stonefield. Just drive up Hydraulic Rd and go past District Ave til you see the movie complex on your right and the hotel is right behind that.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Hello agehamil,

I hope that orientation went well, I know this is a very exciting time for your family. It is good to hear that we met your expectations.
We not only have the typical toiletries available at the hotel, we also have a "borrows program". This program allows guests to check out larger more expensive items they may have left behind, there is no charge provided the item is returned prior to departure.
We are still having trouble with Bond St showing up in GPS systems. 1954 Swanson Dr. 22901 is the address for the movie theatre next door.
Please come back to see us during trips to visit your first year student.
Woking, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

We booked this hotel because it seemed excellent value for money. As it's a virtually new hotel they must be discounting the room rates to get people in but that's fine by us. It's in a very new area so it's quiet and not difficult to find. The welcome desk could not have been more helpful providing us with lots of information about the area and directions about how to get to various places. Breakfast was good served in a very attractive area. There are restaurants just a short walk away and it's also near a new basketball stadium. I have only two issues which stops this getting an excellent rating - the rooms don't have a safe which is a bit of a nuisance for overseas visitors who want to leave passports etc in the room rather than travelling round with them and the air conditioning was incredibly noisy which surprised me in a new hotel. It also takes up a large amount of space in the room in a large section in the corner of the room. Nevertheless we enjoyed our stay here and it's in a good location to visit Monticello and the various wineries in the area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DJS377
Hi DJS377,

Thank you for staying with us. I am happy to hear you had a pleasant arrival experience. The basketball arena in the area is John Paul Jones Arena, home to the UVA Cavaliers and it also doubles as a concert and event venue.
We do not have in room safes at this property, we do have safe deposit boxes available at the front desk to hold your valuables.
I apologize that you found the air units to be so noisy, I hope that we will see you again in the near future.
NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed at this sparkling new Hyatt Place in Charlottesville on Bond Street during a family vacation in March. It had been quite a while since we had stayed at a Hyatt property. Our stay there recently led us to try out another Hyatt (House) property as a result.

This hotel is modern and comfortable, with a large lobby with comfortable seating. The room was big (2 double beds plus cozy corner sleeper, as well as a microwave and mini-fridge.) It was not a suite setup (like at a Homewood Suites or Residence Inn), but for 4 of us, we had plenty of room.

The "forgot anything?" program was well-equipped, and was able to supply complimentary toiletries we had run out of.

The complimentary breakfast was quite good, including eggs, potatoes and other hot items, laid out in a large space which alleviated the typical crowded, competitive breakfast jockeying for position game found at other hotels. It appears that someone really imagined what the space would be like when in use by large crowds on a busy morning. Staff was helpful and stayed busy restocking the breakfast offerings.

Best of all, this location is great for an evening stroll to a movie or to a nearby Trader Joes' and other shopping. No driving required.

Would definitely stay here again when in Charlottesville. Glad we made the return to Hyatt.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
      Location
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank SpringdaleGirl
Kico H, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Charlottesville, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Hi SpringdaleGirl,

We are happy to have you back at Hyatt. Thank you for pointing out the "forgot anything" program, this along with our "burrows program" offers guests just about anything they may be missing.
Please come back and see us soon.