“Great place for couples to catch a show.”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Southern Cafe and Music Hall
Ranked #256 of 606 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Reviewed 11 July 2017 via mobile

This was really one of my favorite places to go out with my boyfriend for the night when he lived there. The show-room area is really cozy and felt really personal to watch a nice live music performance or an open mic comedy gig. The back of the room wasn't too far from the stage so there was no uncomfortable squinting to be able to enjoy the show. Prices were decent for drinks out in Charlottesville as well. It's the kind of place I wish I had at home to be able to go out too.

Reviewed 13 February 2017

The Southern seems to be geared to young people.Not enough acoustic acts like Gravity Lounge used to get. They got nationally known acoustic acts. When I have been to the Southern, it's too crowded and I haven't gotten a seat. They pack it full. The food is not great and it's chaotic and hard to get the food and find a place to eat it. I think many improvements could be made.

Reviewed 7 September 2016

Went to the Southern Cafe and Music Hall this past weekend to see Sawyer Fredericks, a previous winner of "The Voice." It was a fast one hour drive from Glen Allen to Charlottesville and parking was conveniently located in a deck across the street from the hall. Arrived to find a small, rapidly getting crowded, happy bar scene. Stood in the back trying to determine exactly where the band was going to perform before noticing the doors in the back walls. Shortly before Amy Vachal (very enjoyable by the way) was supposed to take the stage the doors opened and people started filing in. I overheard a conversation nearby in the bar area about the lack of seats, as well as having read this in reviews already posted - this is accurate, there were a few tables and then bench-like seats built around the walls. Not enough for the crowd in attendance to sit but for the early ones into the room - they got seats. My husband and I decided we would be happy enough standing in the back and we had an excellent view of the stage, though I was tired of standing long before the show ended! If you are unable to stand comfortably make certain to arrive here long before show time or don't go.

There was some difficulty with the sound management, equipment was not ready when the first act started but it was worked out. As a solo performer the sound was great. When Sawyer Fredericks and his band started it was louder than necessary, especially since he is a folk singer not a Led Zeppelin cover band. The sound was good it was just too loud for the size of the room.

The bar kept up with drink orders, the main food choice was a variety of grilled cheese sandwiches which seemed popular. Did not order them so I cannot comment. All in all I would attend a show there again with the seating shortcoming kept in mind.

1  Thank Martina C
Reviewed 8 February 2016

We went to the Southern to see a comedian and while he was average, the food I ordered was surprisingly delicious. Believe it or not, I ordered a tomato basil soup that was on the menu (which I thought was odd for the type of place it was) but it was very tasteful. I would definitely return and while it's a small place, it's quite clean and cozy. Give it a go for any type of venue, and order the food. You will be pleasantly surprised, I hope :)

1  Thank Jwgemini25
Reviewed 8 July 2015 via mobile

My husband and I recently took a spur-of-the-moment trip to Charlottesville, VA and were looking for something to do. An Internet search turned up a musical performance by Lloyd Cole at The Southern. The price was right, so we bought tix online. They offered a "dine and skip the line" deal that we took advantage of. Basically, have dinner there pre-show and get seating for the show first. The menu offerings were pub food plus, and we enjoyed our dinner. Prices for food and drinks were very reasonable. And, if you want, you can have food in during the show with you. The show space is small, which is great for being up close & personal with the performers. But if you don't like to be hemmed in, be sure to sit on an aisle. We really enjoyed it and are planning to go to another show soon.

1  Thank renner620