“The fried chicken does not disappoint; very hospitable service!”
Review of Michie Tavern

Michie Tavern
Ranked #1 of 23 Shopping in Charlottesville
More attraction details
Owner description: Historic tavern (ca. 1784) originally located on Patrick Henry's land. Living-history tours are conducted on the grounds of its current location near route Va 20.
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I had always passed this place, curious about what this place offered. I had read reviews of the buffet inside, and in particular the fried chicken. I'm glad I stopped inside. There's not much variety offered, but who cares when you have that deliciously breaded chicken. It tasted healthier than any fried chicken I've tasted. The place is designed for tourists, with spacious rooms for families. I was a single traveler, and thanks to the wonderful Crystal, I did not feel out of place. Friendliness and hospitality like that should be praised. I mean, where else would a server go out of her way to get my food for me? People like Crystal are an asset to any business.

As for the rest of the tavern, there is a general store, a pewter shop and a clothing shop (for those of you who want to buy authentic colonial fabric?) and an optional walking tour for $2. All in all, the place is beautifully preserved and I would go out of my way to stop by again. If she's still working there, say hi to Crystal for me.

There are newer reviews for Michie Tavern

Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

I visited Michie Tavern for lunch and loved the fried chicken! The buildings and the history are very interesting. The view across the mountains is awesome!

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Save your well-earned money and head up to the market on the left a mile past moniticello. Get a sandwich and picnic at Jefferson Vineyards.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

The buffet (only choice) is about $17/adult, but their fried chicken is wonderful! We arrived when they apened at 11:30 and were fine, but much later than that and the line can get a bit long. the buffet is "period Southern" food - fried and baked chicken, stewed tomatoes (delicious and I don't even like tomatoes), black-eyed peas, cornbread, rolls, gravy, soup. Cider or regular soft drink chices. Try the peach cobbler with ice cream for dessert!! (cost is extra for some drinks and for dessert)

If you eat lunch there, the tour of the restored/relocated tavern is an additional $2 - you get to see 5 rooms, so it completes the experience. (stairs are involved to the 2 upstairs room).

There are also several "outbuildings" that were brought to this property to show the period history. Visit them as well as the several shops that sell period furnishings.

Reviewed 22 November 2013

I love the space. It's historic, easily accessible, and well-maintained. The food I ate was not great. It's a buffet that costs about $20 each and the food you get is basically a lunch a KFC: fried chicken, green beans, etc. Not at all what I was expecting. Call ahead!