“It was worth the 60 mi. trip!”

Virginia Discovery Museum
VA
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“It was worth the 60 mi. trip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

We drove from Fredericksburg to go to Carpe Donut (yum, yum), go to the children's museum, walk the pedestrian mall and eat at Citizen Burger Bar (SO good!) Okay, so not our healthiest day but we did some walking.

The Discovery Museum, itself, would have been worth the 60 mile trip!

Our 3 1/2 yr. old and 16 mo. old loved it. We spent close to 3 hours here. Its very hands on and so much to do and play with. Our children loved the vacuum tubes; car & ramp activity; tree house seat in the reading room; ship and slide in the toddler room; log cabin; garden; alphabet hallway (buttons to push to hear the letters and numbers' names); train tables; dress up area and Panera Bread Shop. See, so much to and I didn't even name everything!

I do think our experience was even better because we went on a Tuesday afternoon during the school year and it was not busy at all. When more people entered around the 3 o'clock/school dismissal hour, we just headed to the back and spent time playing pretend and with trains and once again had most of that part of the museum to ourselves.

Also, its easy to bring a stroller in and park it in the coat room. There is no place to eat so don't plan on packing a lunch or bringing snacks but its right in the pedestrian mall area so you can easily get your hand stamped, leave to eat and return for more fun.

I was on their FB page the night before we went and found a posting about Groupon. I bought the Groupon for 4 admissions for $12 (half price!) and since they are good until July 2014 I'm thinking of going back to buy 4 more. Either way, its absolutely worth the $6 admission and if we lived closer I would be buying a family pass.

I would say its best suited for the 10 and under crowd with optimal enjoyment for the 1-6 yr. old age group.

The staff was friendly and helpful. Thanks for a great time! We will be traveling back to Charlottesville to enjoy the good eats and fun play!

Visited February 2014
2 Thank ABC10XYZ

Williamsburg, VA
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Great Discovery for Kids...and Adults!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

My son and I visited C'ville for a boys weekend and at three, he wasn't into late night music...so we came to VADM and had a blast.

The staff was so friendly and the activities were wonderful, interactive and well-kept. There was a party going on and it was easily infused with the activities of the general public.

From the air tubes, to the historic cabin and garden, this place was so fun for us. We made race cars and raced them down the track...not sure who liked it more, him or me.

A great activity for families with kids and so convenient to the C'ville Downtown Mall...they even validate parking at the garage right across the Mall! What a deal. In total, we spent $12...what a value!

Visited January 2014
Charleston, South Carolina
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Good for the toddler age kids”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

To be honest a little disappointed in the museum aspect. It is definitely geared to the 2-4 year old set. Most of the exhibits were extremely low tech and the museum is small and our experience coincided with seemingly 100 kids in the same morning. Our 3 year old was in and out in 30 minutes. The poster that stated the setting was almost day care like is pretty much spot on. I felt as if it was a place to take your toddler to expend some energy in between shopping at the downtown shops.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Adam H
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Educational, hands-on fun for children!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

educational hands -on fun for the family. Love that this organization partners with local businesses and community volunteers to build such a wonderful opportunity and experience! The Little C-ville was just the right size for the children to experience Charlottesville on a different level. The live honey bee exhibit is fascinating for all ages! There is parking at two different parking garages.

Visited December 2013
Charlottesville, VA
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Great way to entertain the pre-schooler!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

My middle grandson loves visiting the VA Discovery Museum. He can't wait to go back, to climb up the steps to the cabin loft, try to catch scarfs he puts in the giant blower and build his own race care. My only complaint is sometimes there are older kids that are not well supervised by their parents.

Visited November 2012