“Great food, s-l-o-o-o-w service”
Review of Zo.ca.lo

Zo.ca.lo
Reserve with OpenTable
Zo.ca.lo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 567 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Good for: Romantic, Bar Scene, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 2nd Street NE and East Main Street
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Having had a wonderful experience in late August (and several times before that) I took four of my good friends who had never been there for a pre-concert drinks and food. The show at the Paramount NEXT DOOR was at 8 so we figured our 6 PM reservation gave us plenty of time. What we encountered was slow (and not very attentive) service, a slow kitchen, and a snail like approach to reorders for drinks and getting our bill. All dishes, when we finally got them, were great. Mussels are terrif as was the Rockfish. But all that was tarnished by how long we had to wait for everything. The restaurant was maybe half full with no one at the bar! I know my friends will not ever return there. I asked for a manager but was told there was not one one duty that night. It showed. Got to the show as the lights were being lowered. Whew! Going to a show? Don't risk Zocalo for your pre dinner meal.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

This was my first visit to Zo.ca.lo, and I certainly hope it won't be my last. We sat by the indoor fireplace, the ambiance was comfortable and the service was excellent. I ordered the nights special a duck confit with a Brussels sprout hash. It was simply superb. The duck melted in my mouth and the apricot purée helped to marry the earthy flavor of the Brussels sprout with the rich unctuous duck. My only regret was I was unable to try some of the other wonderful sounding meals on the menu.

1  Thank daanddo
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Every time we go to Zocolo we always say, "well that was just great, let's do that again soon". It has been too long since that last time and we had the occasion with out of town friends to "do that again". So glad we did. Everything on the menu we had was outstanding. If you like mussels get them--perhaps the best in Cville--certainly the best broth. It was to die for. My wife had the Key Lime Free Range chicken, which was tender, plentiful, and flavoricious. She would order it again. Our guests (from Maryland and California) had the scallops. They were HUGE and delish. Want an interesting side? Get the smoked tomato grits. Drinks were cold (great beers) and service impeccable. It could not have been better. Not the least expensive restaurant on the mall, but arguably one of the best, and not out of line price-wise. We won't wait as long as we did this time to again visit Zocolo.

1  Thank CvilleMike
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We had not dined in the mall in a good while, and the restaurant we did last had closed, after reading a few menus, (and judging from the amount of folks eating) we decided to try Zo.ca.lo

We are both glad we did!! outdoor seating was good, nice cool summer evening,
service was excellent, and the food was Divine..
good beer list, good wine list, and nice tasty selections on the menu,

we will definitely be back!

1  Thank Richard C
Reviewed 5 September 2013

We love this place. Several years ago on our first visit to the restaurant, we dined next to a sockless John Grisham, who tastefully pulled the sever aside to take care of the bill for the guests at his table. At the time, the restaurant was new and I thought to myself - "I hope this lasts." Well, it seems to have really lasted and improved with time. The place is stylish and modern, and the food is wonderful. I started with a shrimp-spiked yellow tomato gazpacho, and had a steak for my entree - both were sublime. Amazingly, there is a kid's menu (our four-year-old daughter was with us, and they told us about it). The chicken fingers and french fries were perfect. We'll keep coming here, and you should definitely give it a try.

1  Thank rpdc