“It worked for us!”
Review of Excel Inn & Suites

Excel Inn & Suites
Ranked #29 of 37 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We had trouble getting a room due to several events at Univ of VA but this Budget Inn worked out well for us. It's in a great location. The rooms are a bit dated and small but our second floor room was very clean, quiet and suited our needs for the weekend.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Laura E

Reviewed 29 March 2013

I needed an inexpensive place to sleep for one night, I read the reviews and booked this place. It was clean, BUT my room wasn't in good shape at all. Everything in my room predated the '70's I think. The toilet seat looked like it would fall apart (the plastic was cracked and peeling) and there was no lid. The tile in the bathroom had patches of repair. There were large cracks in the foundation (you could see them where the rug touched the tile and in a few other places) The blanket on the bed had huge holes in it, the lamp next to the bed didn't work, and you definitely need to bring your own toiletries. The towels were dingy and rough, I didn't expect lush but these were awful.
My room was seriously noisy from street noise and being next to the freight train line - the noise may have been more excessive because I don't think the windows closed properly or there was some other poor seal - if you didn't run the heat it was ice cold in the room.
The 'breakfast' was horrible coffee and cellophane wrapped danishes or muffins, the kind you get at gas stations, I will drink and eat most anything but I tried to drink the coffee but it was acidic and thin.
When I checked in they told me that I needed some membership card for my rate (which I never stated I had when I booked so curious about how I suddenly needed it) so they charged me more than the booked rate. They also downgraded my room as I was supposed to be in a room with a queen bed and I had a full-size.
I am an easy going person - keep that in mind as you read this review - I have stayed in cheap hotels before but this was one of the worst rooms/places I have stayed.
It was clean but in disrepair, there is no excuse for huge cracks in the foundation, holes in the blanket, breezes from outside, etc. My room should not be available until the repairs are taken care of.
I also feel that changing my fee and type of room was out of order, but I was stuck as I had to spend the night in Charlottesville.
No matter the rate I will not be back.
All I wanted was a decent place to sleep for a decent price - I got clean but nothing else.
It sounds like some people got upgraded rooms, you are forewarned that some rooms have not been upgraded to this century or even the 80's

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank kplig
Reviewed 17 March 2013

We had a horrible problem with our first hotel so we left at 1am looking for a new one. I can not tell you how happy we were to find this place. GREAT location, wonderful staff, the cleanest rooms I've ever seen and very new updates in the bathroom. This place saved our trip and has a very classy look about it. Will always stay here.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kayleej87
Reviewed 18 February 2013

I had stayed at this hotel before and had a pleasant experience. So when I found myself in need of a hotel in Charlottesville I did not hesitate to return.

The rooms has been updated since the last time I was there. Large, flat screen tvs, new furniture and a so soft duvet/bed cover.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank AmbersM0mmy
Reviewed 29 January 2013

Had to be in Charlottesville unexpectedly on a Saturday. This turned out to be one of the last affordable options in town. For a rate of 84 $ I got a room that was mostly underground and smelt musty. The room just didn't seem very clean. Bathroom in desperate need of updating (old cigarette damage etc). Very poor sound isolation meant you could hear slamming doors all night long.
Breakfast was included. Hah. First there is hardly any space in the breakfast room. One table which was occupied and a few other seats. Also, when I got there most food was gone or on the big table. Imagine my surprise when it turned out that the ladies at the big table eating the last bagels were the cleaning ladies of the hotel! So they did not only occupy the little seating there was, they also didn't leave any food for guests. I must say that was a first for me.

Needless to say I won't ever go back.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank DutchgirlNY
Reviewed 29 October 2012

They should pay the woman who cleans the room more. I do not know what she is getting paid now, but it is not enough. We expected only clean towels and washcloths, but she cleaned our entire room and even folded my nightgown! Such a nice surprise.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Theresa G
Reviewed 11 October 2012

This is a very basic hotel, but it served the purpose we needed: a place to sleep and a location within walking distance to the University of Virginia.

This is definitely an older hotel. There are no decorations on the walls and the TV was one of those small tube TVs that protruded into the room from a mount about halfway up the wall. The bathroom was small with a bottle of Breck conditioning shampoo, two bars of soap, and a few thin white towel. There were no tissues in the bathroom. The water pressure in the shower was great, but the tub drained very slowly. There was water up to my mid calf. Climate control is provided by a unit underneath the window.

The room smelled a little musty with a lingering hint of cigarette smoke. There was a large storage cabinet, two safes, a mini-fridge and a microwave, chair, and luggage rack The pillows were pretty small and the beds were pretty wonky.

The hotel is one of the cheapest in the area and is just a few minutes to Grounds (the campus), restaurants, public transportation, and stores. You only get one parking space per room, so keep that in mind. There was complimentary breakfast but all I saw was bagels and prepackaged muffins.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple