“Nothing Fancy but Good Room for the Money”
Review of Excel Inn & Suites

and 1 more site!
Excel Inn & Suites
Ranked #29 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We stayed here to attend a meeting at a larger, much more expensive hotel. We arrived late in the afternoon and informed the cleaning lady we would not need anything for that day since she had already cleaned the room and we were leaving soon. The next day, we returned from our session to find that clean towels had been left but no other housekeeping had been done. The third day not even any towels, as well as the fourth day. Upon checking out we spoke with the manager and he did give us a small refund saying that the maid told him we said we didn't want any service. Other than that, the place was clean and fairly quiet except there are outside entrances so a good bit of noise from the parking lot. It is quite convenient to the University. I would stay there again under the same circumstances, i.e., being away for most of the day and evening.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 August 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here on our way through Virginia to Maryland. It's what you would expect. It's very small. The parking is limited and spaces are small. The rooms are very dated but clean and decently comfortable. The hotel is literally right beside the railroad tracks but I knew that going in and I live near tracks so it didn't bother me. I was bothered by loud construction relatively early in the morning, but they are remodeling. Although, I wish they had warned us about that when we booked the room. We called ahead to advise of a late arrival and when we got there the young man running the desk was outside smoking and partying with what appeared to be others guests and/or possibly friends. It wasn't a bad place for a single night, but I wouldn't have stayed longer than that and I probably won't stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank ckalliance
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Bathroom was dingy, hotel is near train tracks. Breakfast was really poor--from the selection to the space where people could sit (could accomodate very few). Price was comprable to what you'd expect to pay for a Comfort Inn--but the rooms, breakfast, etc. were much shabbier than any Comfort Inn we've stayed in, and the breakfast offered at Budget Inn barely qualified as edible.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 June 2013

The room was clean, the beds were comfortable and it is the best deal we found in Charlottesville. However, there was an extra charge for my daughter though no towel for her or any other extra costs for her so why? The pillows are funky. The stairs are narrow. Try for a first floor room. Breakfast is the worst i have encountered in my travels. Pastries in cellophane, two kinds of cereal, and coffee. Very basic.

Room Tip: Try for a first floor room. The stairway is narrow and hard to get up with suitcases.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Tiki L
Reviewed 28 May 2013

This is a good place to stay. It is clean, affordable and convenient to the University of Virginia. I would certainly recommend staying here. We were there as my father in in ICU at the University Medical Center. So a good place to stay was a great find

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank garry h
Reviewed 26 May 2013

All of Charlottesville was booked up long in advance for graduation weekend and we were lucky to find a room at this motel. Though we were aapprehensive in advance, room proved to be adequate. Small but enough room to put 2 suitcases. Good shower but almost no counter space in bathroom. Just two block walk to UVa, very convenient for graduation. Price much too high for size of room, ?? if price jacked up for this weekend. The room was good enough for our needs though I'm sure there are bigger and better in the town.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank lenlip
Reviewed 1 May 2013

I was scheduled to stay at this hotel on 4/29 but had a very last minute change of plans. I was literally calling at 3:58pm on the day of arrival, and their cancelation policy was no charge if you canceled by 4pm. I was a bit frantic and anticipated being given a hard time due to the down to the wire notice. I must say that I was incredibly impressed with the person who answered the phone. He was one of the nicest people I have encountered in a very long time, in terms of one whose job it is to deal with customers. I apologized for the situation but he didn't even question it. Took care of everything, put me at ease, and emailed me a copy of the confirmation number as I was driving and couldn't take it down. I'm not sure if I'll have reason to be in that area again, but if I do I will most certainly consider staying here. Good customer service is a dying art form.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business