“Good option for parents budget visiting to UVA students”
Review of Excel Inn & Suites

Excel Inn & Suites
Ranked #29 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Good option for budget visiting to UVA students as was our case. Over 4 years this was one of our favorites. The hotel is conveniently located and has very fast internet. In the scheme of budget hotels in Charlottesville, it’s probably one of the better ones.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank 4whatitsworth2day

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Near the corner of Emmett and University, this motel's location is its greatest attraction. Travelers who stay here are within walking distance of the UVA campus, the Corner, the downtown pedestrian mall, and the Barracks Road shopping center. The cleanliness of the rooms and friendliness of the staff seem very valuable, too. It is clearly a budget motel, probably best for those who like its location and want a simple, comfortable, inexpensive place to sleep. This was a return visit for us, and the layout of this room and bathroom (room 45), in comparison with where we stayed before, seemed unattractive and inconvenient. The room's only window faces the parking lot, so we left the curtains closed and had no natural light in the mornings. The bathroom is extremely narrow. A large person would be uncomfortable using the sink or walking to the shower. Still, overall, we like this motel, most of all for the location, staff, and cleanliness.

Room Tip: Rooms with windows facing away from the street and toward Carr's Hill Field are quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank A_Saunterer
Reviewed 2 July 2014

So, this was a last minute, just go for whatever's cheap, reservation. Got in very late, but the staff was friendly, patient, and courteous. The room was small, but very clean, neat, and the bed was comfortable. I looked out and saw a train going by and I thought, oh no, I won't get any sleep. But it was a low rumble and I didn't notice any more the rest of the night. The one downside for me was that I couldn't get the internet to work in my room, but it did work in the little business center they have. Overall, a delightful find, a real bargain for the price!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Summer10TravellingMo
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I checked in to this hotel, found immediately that the bathroom sink did not drain and the drain cover in the center of the floor was loose. When I returned an hour later after asking that the problems be fixed, I discovered that the drain now worked--the floor drain cover was still disconnected--but that the entire wing of the hotel reeked of wretched sewage gas. The desk clerk came to the wing and confirmed that the smell was most evident.

I asked to have my fee cancelled since I was checking out immediately. They refused to cancel my credit card transaction, offering only to find a room in another section of the hotel.

I chose not to stay any longer and would strongly urge people to avoid this stink hole.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
8  Thank Virginiaalum
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Ugh....this room was the size of a walk in closet. It was dark and dingy and had a tv with about a 20 inch screen. I just about got to sleep after the soccer game on the lighted field ended behind the room when a freight train with about 100 cars came by (seemed like it was about 50 yards away), then I was awakened by a housekeeper who was singing outside my room early the next morning. Never again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank jratigan
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

Nothing fancy. The rooms are small, but they are clean and comfortable and the employees were friendly and helpful. The heat worked fine. The train is noticeable, but not too bad. We walked to the Afghan restaurant nearby and had a great dinner.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Rob S
Reviewed 6 March 2014

The 3 of us stayed March 5, 2014. The room was ice cold when we arrived. Immediately turned heat/ac unit on high heat. Left to give room time to warm. Came back 3 hrs later, room still not warm. No heat at all in bathroom. Heat unit finally got room warm. Did get a portable heater to go in bathroom. Noise from trains off and on all night plus noise from neighboring rooms sounded like bodies being slammed against the walls. Mattresses were worn out. We were there because 1 of our party had to be at hospital the next morning. I did inform reception desk at check in that we were there for that reason. We got a whole $4.00 discount. Really???? This room was $64 for 1 night and it was, by far, the most miserable night any of us have ever had in a motel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends