“Nicer than I expected!”
Review of Excel Inn & Suites

and 1 more site!
Excel Inn & Suites
Ranked #29 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I booked a room here because my boyfriend and I were traveling through VA and looking for an inexpensive place to stay. Once we got there, I realized (being unfamiliar with C-ville) it was a little further outside of downtown than I thought it would be, but that was not a big deal for me since we were really just looking for a place to sleep before traveling more the next day. It's on a main thoroughfare and easy to find.

The staff was friendly, and the room was small but nice. The furniture had a bit of wear and tear, but it was tasteful looking, and the flat screen TV mounted on the wall was an unexpected bonus. The shower had great water pressure (which I always appreciate!), and the wifi worked well. The complimentary breakfast was nothing too exciting, but it was still more than I expected (scrambled eggs and a waffle machine, plus other continental items). One tip for coffee drinkers: on my visit at least, the coffee in the coffee lounge was better (stronger) than the coffee in the room where the breakfast was. I was happy to find this out this on my second cup!

If you are looking for the Ritz Carlton, you are bound to be disappointed with this hotel. It has imperfections and shows wear in places. But if you're looking for a good deal and a place to sleep with some of the amenities that many other budget hotels do not have, this is a very good place for you.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Angela W

Reviewed 22 August 2014

We stayed in Charlottesville on day 7 of a 11 day tour of Virginia. It was the only hotel not booked before the start of our trip but rather a reservation made the night before our arrival based on our fluid route. We were very happy with our choice. Upon arrival our room was ready and the desk clerk was very helpful with suggestions for dinner and places to explore. He gave us a detailed map and suggested a walk through the University campus. W enjoyed the stroll and were able to ride a free shuttle around town to get a good overview of the place. Our room was clean, beds comfortable and breakfast was much more than we expected based on the price we paid. Budget travelers this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Our room on the second floor faced away from the street, we had a view of a little brook and the soc...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vermonter05655
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I don’t know if it’s all rooms, but ours had a super nice shower and a pleasant green view complete with cuddly groundhogs out back. There was a microwave, mini fridge, and motion-detecting ventilation in the bathroom. Clean, friendly, and walkable (if you’re fit) to campus attractions. Happy with our choice.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 August 2014

This poorly kept hotel is right next to University of VA campus. Called them from campus and the
manager in broken poor English could not give me directions. Fortunately (Or not) a student told me where to go. Upon arrival the desk clerk(again hard to understand) told me my rooms were not what I had booked. Instead of 2 single rooms ,bottom floor, close together & non smoking (I have COPD) we had to take 2 rooms upstairs (No elevator).Had to hunt for my sister's room as it was behind an unmarked door and well away from mine.Upon return from dinner we were asked for gas money by a seedy guy roaming the area outside my room.DO NOT STAY IN THIS HELLHOLE!!!

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank wjones239
INCAAM, Manager at Excel Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Dear wjones239,
I thank you for the review and apologize for not meeting your expectations. I welcome your "Budget Inn from hell " - Stayed August 2014 review however, your concerns would have been appreciated at the property level but you choose otherwise. I personally assisted you at check-out and would have appreciated the opportunity to address your concerns. With respect to your 3rd party Booking.com reservation, the hotel fully met its obligations of 2 rooms non-smoking (special requests or comments are not guaranteed). On your special requests, an advance call direct to the property would have served us both well. Please contact me at 434.293.5141 to further discuss your experience.

GM, Budget Inn Charlottesville

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We were touring UVA and needed a bed for one night. This is virtually ON campus. Rooms are fairly dated and a/c is really not great. But it was clean. The staff was as friendly as in any great hotel. And the breakfast (a new offering, apparently) was surprisingly good. Don't think UVA is the school for my daughter but if it were, I'd visit again.

Room Tip: Don't choose the queen. Get two beds. The queen room over the office was really not great.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Lisacamriv
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Good option for budget visiting to UVA students as was our case. Over 4 years this was one of our favorites. The hotel is conveniently located and has very fast internet. In the scheme of budget hotels in Charlottesville, it’s probably one of the better ones.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank 4whatitsworth2day
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Near the corner of Emmett and University, this motel's location is its greatest attraction. Travelers who stay here are within walking distance of the UVA campus, the Corner, the downtown pedestrian mall, and the Barracks Road shopping center. The cleanliness of the rooms and friendliness of the staff seem very valuable, too. It is clearly a budget motel, probably best for those who like its location and want a simple, comfortable, inexpensive place to sleep. This was a return visit for us, and the layout of this room and bathroom (room 45), in comparison with where we stayed before, seemed unattractive and inconvenient. The room's only window faces the parking lot, so we left the curtains closed and had no natural light in the mornings. The bathroom is extremely narrow. A large person would be uncomfortable using the sink or walking to the shower. Still, overall, we like this motel, most of all for the location, staff, and cleanliness.

Room Tip: Rooms with windows facing away from the street and toward Carr's Hill Field are quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple