“Much Work Needed”

C'Ville-Ian Brewing Company
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Charlottesville's newest, and smallest brewery, is located pretty much opposite the Amtrak station, just between the Downtown Mall and the University. The bar space itself is pretty nice, somewhat spartan, as all the best pubs in my experience tend to me. The service was reasonable, though given that my party was the only crowd in there on a Friday afternoon, that is to be expected, when we left just before 6 it was empty. I am not going to review the beer here, suffice to say that if the brewer wants to make a go of being a brewery then the quality of the beer must improve dramatically. There is a massive difference between inconsistency from batch to batch and downright poorly made beer, especially disappointing given the excellent brewers already in the Charlottesville area. There is a wealth of potential here, but as the highlight of a brewery is the beer, they need to work on that as a matter of urgency, especially if they want to justify $7 for a flight of 5 samples.

2  Thank VelkyAl

Reviewed 6 May 2014

C'ville-ian Brewing company is located right by Maya and Bellas on Main Street. The atmosphere is cozy, and the beer is great. The Cavalier Chocolate Stout is my favorite! One thing that's interesting is that the batches are small enough that the head brewer can adjust the formulas based on feedback from the customers. It focuses on beer, and beer is what's most important.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

C'Ville Brew Co, as they prefer to be called, is the town's newest brewery. It is a nano-brewery so they make very small batches at a time. Most likely a 3bbl system. The just opened last weekend so being a craft beer geek, I had to check them out.

LOCATION
Pretty convenient location on West Main street in between downtown and UVa. The inside is long & narrow but does have a good size bar with many seats as well as some sitting tables to relax. Music was playing and they have a flatscreen behind the bar. No many people were there when I visited so I would like to see how this place is when it busy.

BEER
Nano-breweries are very small production and won't have many offerings. There were 5 they advertise. A red, brown, hefe, stout, and IPA. They were out of the IPA which was a bummer since they just opened for business and also since I was probably the first person in there the day I went. The Red & Stout were good examples of the style but nothing stellar. The hefe & brown needed some work. The guy poring said the owner/brewmaster is not that much into IPAs so I was not all that bummed they were out of it. if a brewer is not into what they brew then I would not have expected much out of it anyway. Pints were $5 and a flight was $7 (5 tastings) so standard for the course. For an operation of this size, I would expect a lot of inconsistencies since they brew small batches at a time. Next visit, I would expect each beer to taste different so I'm looking forward to see how this new brewery evolves. best of luck to the new kids on the block!