“Great New Spot In Cville”
Review of Threepenny Cafe

Threepenny Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Threepenny Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #52 of 563 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: American, Pizza, Seafood, Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Threepenny Cafe is the perfect spot for relaxing with family and friends. We feature Farm to Table cuisine using locally and responsibly sourced products. All of our meat is local and pastured and our seafood approved by the Monterey Bay Seafood Watch program. Our beverage menu showcases fresh artisan cocktails as well as local craft beers and small vineyard wines. All served by attentive, friendly and courteous staff. Our patio is dog-friendly and free parking is available in all Main Street Market Lots. Reservations accepted.
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We watched the remodel take place and were eager to try Threepenny when they opened up. We were not disappointed when we did. We have done brunch and dinner and both were excellent. You can tell the food is prepared with pride and the wait staff is particularly friendly. The decor is a little more industrial than we prefer so the large terrace is always our choice. Try any of the pizzas, they're original and delicious.

1  Thank RamblingMariner

Reviewed 9 July 2014

On my recent visit to Charlottesville, I strolled into Threepenny having no idea what a treat I was in for! While there was a chic, inviting outdoor space to sit (the building is in an old renovated garage), I chose to spend my casual weekday evening grabbing a solo-dinner at the bar. I asked the very friendly and helpful locally-raised bartender, Mike, for a recommendation. He quickly responded with the newly added Chilean sea bass entrée, served with duck confit, a celery root puree and a saffron-infused mustard sauce. It sounded unique and intriguing so I ordered it, along with a glass of sauvignon blanc. I live in a small rural New England community that is flooded with New York City chefs and high-quality, farm-to-table restaurants--so, I'm constantly trying out new and unusual food presentations. With that in mind, this was hands-down one of the most brilliantly and creatively inspired dishes I've had in a long time. It was perfectly cooked and presented, with flavors that exploded in my mouth! It was so good that I literally gave the chef a round of applause when I met him. I later found out that this is a relatively new restaurant, with a "genius chef"--Eric Nittolo--who has a background creating works of cuisine-art for the elite in Chicago. What I particularly loved about this experience was that the atmosphere was completely laid-back and low-key, fitting for C'ville. I walked in wearing shorts and sandals, and yet I managed to savor a 5-star meal. If you're a foodie at heart but don't want to eat in a stuffy restaurant, then this will quickly become one of your favorites. I can't wait to go back with my husband to enjoy some live music, try the Spanish pizza with manchego and fig jam, and grab a mojito with fresh mint picked right from their own garden!

1  Thank Aesperat
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My dining experience at Threepenny Cafe was one of the best I've ever experienced. The service was excellent and the food was to die for! There is something on the menu for everyone and the chef (Eric Nittolo) has a way with flavor and presentation. Everything he does is to perfection; his food is flavored perfectly at the right temperature and his presentation is amazing. The atmosphere and our service at Threepenny was exceptional. I cannot say enough good things about our experience. I live over 100 miles away but will drive there every chance I get to try new things on the menu.

1  Thank Victoria S
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I recently had the Caprese Salad. The tomatoes were perfectly ripe and flavorful. I followed with the seared scallops and parmesan asparagus risotto. It was heaven on a plate. We met Chef Eric Nittolo and he is as passionate about his cuisine as the food was wonderful. We can' wait to return.

1  Thank Lynne B
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We went over Memorial Day weekend and ate inside, however, the restaurant is set up that you get the feel you are still outside. It has a very shear mesh that makes it seem like there is no barrier between you and the outside. It was perfect since it was a sunny, hot day!

The server greeted us promptly and brought our drinks. One downside was they didn't have plastic cups for kids, which made us wonder if they were not a kid friendly establishment. Thankfully, my 3 year old didn't break the glass!
I ordered the scallops which were out of this world. Cooked perfectly. It's not very often I get scallops that aren't rubbery hard from being overcooked. It was a great choice. My husband ordered the burger which he loved minus the hard bread bun. He is a bread addict so it was probably not his choice for bread with burgers. My daughter had the cheese pizza which came on a great pizza board. Definitely could be shared between two kids. For our appetizer, we had the calamari. It was a deconstructed calamari so I was shocked to see a huge squid come out. It was different and tasty but not my first choice for next time. I like it fried.

I highly recommend going to try this place out if you want great food in a timely manner.

1  Thank booblinns