“Casual in appearance; elegant menu, great service.”
Review of Threepenny Cafe

Threepenny Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Threepenny Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #37 of 542 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: Healthy
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Threepenny Cafe is the perfect spot for relaxing with family and friends. We feature Farm to Table cuisine using locally and responsibly sourced products. All of our meat is local and pastured and our seafood approved by the Monterey Bay Seafood Watch program. Our beverage menu showcases fresh artisan cocktails as well as local craft beers and small vineyard wines. All served by attentive, friendly and courteous staff. Our patio is dog-friendly and free parking is available in all Main Street Market Lots. Reservations accepted.
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Casual in appearance; elegant menu, great service.”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Two of us had cocktails and three course dinner during Restaurant Week. We expected rushed service and okay food simply because of the popularity of dining out this week. What a great surprise at Threepenny Cafe! It was a great dining experience, great food and excellent service! We were seated immediately with our reservation. We were greeted warmly and shown to a pretty indoor dining room w/attractive art on the walls. The fixed price ($26) menu had interesting, varied appetizers, entrees (including vegetarian entree) and desserts. Most of the food is locally sourced; the waiter was professional and helpful answering questions about food and wine. I had scallops which were cooked to perfection, impeccably fresh. Spouse had perfectly cooked petite filet mignon. The service was attentive w/o being intrusive. Cocktails and wine were separate, but reasonable. Threepenny is every bit the equal of DC and NY places we've visited, but with sincerely cordial staff - and talented chef. We'll be back often.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Suze L

Melbourne, Florida
“Great New Spot In Cville”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We watched the remodel take place and were eager to try Threepenny when they opened up. We were not disappointed when we did. We have done brunch and dinner and both were excellent. You can tell the food is prepared with pride and the wait staff is particularly friendly. The decor is a little more industrial than we prefer so the large terrace is always our choice. Try any of the pizzas, they're original and delicious.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank RamblingMariner
Stockbridge, Massachusetts
“Truly Worth a Round of Applause!!”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

On my recent visit to Charlottesville, I strolled into Threepenny having no idea what a treat I was in for! While there was a chic, inviting outdoor space to sit (the building is in an old renovated garage), I chose to spend my casual weekday evening grabbing a solo-dinner at the bar. I asked the very friendly and helpful locally-raised bartender, Mike, for a recommendation. He quickly responded with the newly added Chilean sea bass entrée, served with duck confit, a celery root puree and a saffron-infused mustard sauce. It sounded unique and intriguing so I ordered it, along with a glass of sauvignon blanc. I live in a small rural New England community that is flooded with New York City chefs and high-quality, farm-to-table restaurants--so, I'm constantly trying out new and unusual food presentations. With that in mind, this was hands-down one of the most brilliantly and creatively inspired dishes I've had in a long time. It was perfectly cooked and presented, with flavors that exploded in my mouth! It was so good that I literally gave the chef a round of applause when I met him. I later found out that this is a relatively new restaurant, with a "genius chef"--Eric Nittolo--who has a background creating works of cuisine-art for the elite in Chicago. What I particularly loved about this experience was that the atmosphere was completely laid-back and low-key, fitting for C'ville. I walked in wearing shorts and sandals, and yet I managed to savor a 5-star meal. If you're a foodie at heart but don't want to eat in a stuffy restaurant, then this will quickly become one of your favorites. I can't wait to go back with my husband to enjoy some live music, try the Spanish pizza with manchego and fig jam, and grab a mojito with fresh mint picked right from their own garden!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Aesperat
Richmond, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing Food! Perfect Dining Experience...”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My dining experience at Threepenny Cafe was one of the best I've ever experienced. The service was excellent and the food was to die for! There is something on the menu for everyone and the chef (Eric Nittolo) has a way with flavor and presentation. Everything he does is to perfection; his food is flavored perfectly at the right temperature and his presentation is amazing. The atmosphere and our service at Threepenny was exceptional. I cannot say enough good things about our experience. I live over 100 miles away but will drive there every chance I get to try new things on the menu.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Victoria S
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Passionate chef”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I recently had the Caprese Salad. The tomatoes were perfectly ripe and flavorful. I followed with the seared scallops and parmesan asparagus risotto. It was heaven on a plate. We met Chef Eric Nittolo and he is as passionate about his cuisine as the food was wonderful. We can' wait to return.

• Visited June 2014