“Exotic Comfort Food”

The Shebeen Pub & Braai
Reserve with OpenTable
The Shebeen Pub & Braai is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 553 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: West Main St
Description: The Shebeen Pub & Braai is our little piece of Africa in the heart of downtown Charlottesville! Our Shebeen, styled after the Cape wineries, offers unique food in an engaging setting. At The Shebeen Pub & Braai we present you with South African hospitality. Our menu reflects the multiculturalism of the Southern African palate. From spicy African peri-peri sauce and Dutch farmer's Boer sausage to pub-style fish 'n chips, you will explore a cuisine of surprising diversity. Allow us to host your next dinner party, or simply meet your mates in the pub for a pint. We will blend exceptional fare with a comprehensive event planning and management if you're interested in our catering services. Our commitment to local and seasonal ingredients and our passion for special events, allows us to do what we love every day. We look forward to having you at The Shebeen Pub & Braai!
“Exotic Comfort Food”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The South African inspired dishes here are great, hearty comfort food with just enough exotic ness to satisfy your adventure cravings. The braised meats, vegetarian dishes, and samp & beans side are all particularly successful. I would steer you towards the more African-seeming items.

Visited December 2012

“My taste buds tingled with each bite!”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Quietly tucked in to the corner of the shopping center is a relaxing, welcoming pub! The staff was super attentive and personable even at 10 pm in the evening. The atmosphere was a warm relaxing and worldly decorated. The portions for the price paid were excellent. My taste buds tingled with each bite. Forced myself to finish everything on my plate!

• Visited August 2013
“Food good, service difficult”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I have eaten here twice; both times in a group of 3 and we ate outside on the patio. I put this information upfront in case the place we elected to sit changed our experience. Both times the food was good and I felt like I was really experiencing some varied cuisine. However, the service bordered on terrible. I felt like our servers forgot about us and took forever to visit our table, take our orders, or refill our drinks. Our last trip I'm not sure if our promised waitress ever arrived. I think between the bar tender and the hostess we were finally waited on. However we ended up banging on our water pitcher to try to catch someone's attention to get our check so we could leave. Despite that I believe our food came out timely. Now that I've had the cuisine twice, I'm not sure i will be venturing back. I can get lackadaisical service closer to home.

“Won't be back”
Reviewed 30 August 2013 via mobile

Went for dinner with friends and had a double portion of Peri Peri Chicken Wings. What a mistake was as sick as a dog the next two days...... But at least I am still alive to tell the story. Menu is very expensive and paid $60 on dollars for 3 meals.

Ruckersville, VA
“Going Downhill”
Reviewed 24 August 2013

I've reviewed Shebeen previously but I'm changing it a bit after last night's experience. My husband and I have dined here probably about 10 times over the past 5 years and it's always been one of our favorite places, but the past couple of visits have left me feeling disappointed.... especially last night. Our server was very impersonal. She did her job somewhat efficiently but had very little to no "personality" and acted as if we were a nuisance (I can say with all confidence that we were VERY nice and easy to please). To be blunt, I felt unwelcome and uncomfortable. My sister had the mussels and said they were just ok. I had a ceasar salad and added the herb marinated grilled chicken breast. Pretty simple, right? It was pretty bad. The lettuce was overdressed and soggy and the chicken breast was WAY over-cooked - tough and dry. I should have said something, but I REALLY don't like complaining at restaurants so I let it go. I thought maybe our server would notice that I ate maybe 3 bites of a humongous salad and ask if there was a problem, but she seemed so eager to get us out of there, she just took it and asked if we needed anything else. That was a bit disappointing, but proved that she couldn't care less if we enjoyed our meals. I still adore their roasted red pepper hummus, but I think it may be a while before we give it another chance. Before last night, we were always very happy with the food, but the servers have been pretty underwhelming for the most part.