“Great view of Charlottesville”

Carter Mountain Orchard
More attraction details
Owner description: Located next to Monticello and Michie Tavern, Carter Mountain Orchard is family-owned and operated. Our mountaintop location affords spectacular views of Charlottesville, the Piedmont, and the Blue Ridge Mountains. Open April through November, we offer Pick-Your-Own and pre-picked Peaches and Nectarines (June-August) and Pick Your Own and pre-picked Apples (mid-August through November). Our bakery serves fresh-baked pies and cookies, hand-dipped ice cream, and our famous Apple Cider Donuts! Apple Cider, Apple Butter, jams and jellies, local crafts, pumpkins, and gourmet food products available in our country store. Wine tasting and sales on site, and the Mountain Grille serves lunch. Our school tours are popular-call for reservations. Scouts, Youth Groups, Seniors welcome. Family friendly. Please see our website for more details
Reviewed 6 June 2014

As a long-time resident, it's been hard to see Carters Mountain transformed from a sleepy little orchard to a bustling business that lures in outsiders by the busload. This is not to say some of the improvements aren't for the better, it's just that it's a whole new animal now.
It's hard to get up there and pick apples and peaches without them having been stripped bare already. Weekends, forget it--lines of traffic snaking up the mile+ long drive. I'll pass on the crowds.
I know, I'm ranting. But the good old days had their charm at Carters Mt.
Now to the here and now: they've got a better shop, they have a kitchen, they have a wine store. Not a huge fan of the wine, but do enjoy the Thursday night sunset series overlooking Charlottesville with local music. On a gorgeous evening it's just a lovely, relaxing place to go hang out, bring a picnic (though their website now says outside food is forbidden, which will be a real shame if this is enforced), and chill out. In some ways the place maybe is becoming a bit too big for its britches, so it would be nice if they figure out how to chill out as well and discard stupid stipulations like "no outside" food. People are spending plenty there regardless, so don't be greedy!

Reviewed 3 June 2014

The selection of fruits and other offerings makes the long drive up the mountain worth it, but the view is beyond compare. We have hills in Ohio but nothing close to the Blue Ridge mountains. Something mesmerizing ab out looking out for miles and miles. The peacefulness still lingers.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We had just visited Michie (pronounced "Micky") Tavern and saw the "Orchard, Cider, Wine Tasting" sign for Carter Mountain Orchard. The name should have been my first clue. I don't like heights and once we began the steep drive up the side of the mountain, it was too late (and impossible) to turn back. I don't like heights, so the ride to the top was a real nail biter for me but what a view when we got there!!!!! I enjoyed a lovely wine tasting and a great glass of wine (which helped me endure the ride down - my husband was driving). My husband quite enjoyed his glass of cider. The cinnamon donuts were fresh and yummy and we enjoyed shopping in the market. All the employees were talkative and informative. It was a very enjoyable afternoon. We are planning to go back in the fall so that we can go apple picking - I'll somehow suffer that ride up the mountain again. It's worth it.

1  Thank ktvb_329
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Fun place to take the family. Picking is optional with packaged fruit available. The western view overlooking Charlottesville is exceptional and we'll worth the dusty drive up the mountain.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Great place to get away from the business of day to day "stuff". The views are absolutely gorgeous. The drive up is a pretty steep and windy road, but slow and cautious gets you there in no time. Lots of outdoor seating and food/snacks. Best of all it's FREE :)