“Good food, worst service in C'ville”
Review of Mas Tapas

Mas Tapas
Ranked #56 of 552 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Outdoor Seating
Charlottesville, Virginia, United States
“Good food, worst service in C'ville”
Reviewed 2 November 2012

Great food, but you have to be willing to sit at the bar or wait 2+ hours for a table. Plus, Mas is notorious for horrible attitude from their servers...but their sangria is so good that I keep going back! Love-hate relash.

Visited October 2012

Charlottesville, Virginia
“best in cville”
Reviewed 30 October 2012

i've lived in cville for 20 years, eat out frequently, and this is my favorite restaurant. i'm not alone--mas routinely gets voted "best restaurant" by the local weekly. ingredients are fresh, menu changing and creative, atmosphere "hip," and prices very reasonable. the only problem is it's popularity, combined with the fact that they don't take reservations. expect a wait unless you get there WELL before the 7pm crowd. for the same reason, it can be a little noisy. but it's worth it! don't miss the bacon-wrapped dates!

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Susan F
Palmyra, Virginia
“nice people, long wait, mediocre food”
Reviewed 16 October 2012

We will most likely not go back. The hostess was welcoming and the waitress was overly busy. For the apparent attraction to dining there, the one hour wait was not worth it for the food.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank CtheSea
“Great food, lazy service”
Reviewed 4 October 2012

Amazing Spanish style tapas. I got the three dips, lamb plate, shrimp plate, and a ton of other food. It was great! Able to sit outside which was nice when the sun was up but couldn't see my food when it went down. I understand mood lighting but I had to use the tea light candle to see my food. The servers were lazy and acted entitled. They were the weakest part of the restaurant. It took forever to get our order, bring more bread, and complete our bill. If this was fixed it would get five stars no doubt.

Virginia
“Not as good as I remembered”
Reviewed 3 October 2012

This was my 4th visit to Mas but I have not been back for over a year and was excited to return; however, we were disappointed with the food. We ordered several tapas - papas bravas, tortilla espanola, empanada (mushroom), artichoke and goat cheese spread, carne asada, and shrimp. None of the dishes wowed me like before; in fact, I kept thinking where is the spice, a distinctive flavor, or any flavor? As a consolation, the service was the best I have experienced (we showed up at 5:30 and the place was filling up already. When we left, there was several parties waiting to be seated). Save your money and go elsewhere since the food is not as good as it once was and it is expensive, and with no reservations, you could be waiting for a long time (maybe an hour) before you get seated. What a bummer since I considered Mas to be one of my favorite restaurants before this...

• Visited September 2012